Historic Donation to establish CMU - Miami

  • Largest Individual Gift in Higher Education History Builds on CMU’s Distinctive Academic and Research Strengths, Includes $1 Billion Investment in Pittsburgh Campus

  • $2 Billion Gift Will Launch CMU Miami, Organized Around Societal Challenges and Purpose-Built for Next Era of American Innovation

  • 35-Acre Campus in Miami’s Wynwood Neighborhood Aims to Start Enrolling Students in 2028

2 Likes

This is Griffin’s big middle finger up to Harvard, for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

It is an interesting model - the big ideas topics, etc.

My kids had no interest in Florida for both weather and political reasons, but clearly attractive to many (and many donors!)

1 Like

That’s a lot of money!

I’ll admit I am not sure the Miami program will work out as intended–maybe, but I think there are possible impediments. Still, once the campus is established, it can probably be something viable, even if it requires tweaking.

1 Like

I agree that there is some competition in that area as vanderbilt and northwestern have planned campus nearby. But CMU has locations in Qatar and Rwanda, Miami should be more attractive.

I think those are both for grad students only, no?

fairly different to me

1 Like

That is correct. I was not sure what CMU will be offering initially in Miami.

From the press release.
“CMU Miami will invert the traditional higher education model by organizing learning and inquiry around societal challenges rather than academic majors”

Carnegie-Mellon-Griffin University, the new CMGU!

I read a NYTimes article which was longer, I got distinct impression it was 3500 undergrads! I may be mistaken I skimmed - but it talked about majors and the fact other schools weren’t expanding access to students (and almost all schools expand grad schools left and right, especially Masters which are $$$ makers).