Hollywood Producer Mistakenly Detained by Police

<p>Shrewd move. This will get her on talk shows and maybe another acting gig. Why put the photo on Facebook if not to get publicity for herself?</p>

<p>Flossy, you’re not following the argument. They asked both people in the interracial couple for ID. I say if it had been a white couple, neither would have been asked for ID.</p>

<p>And they’re asking for ID for what? What information does the ID provide with regard to two people allegedly having sex in a car? </p>

<p>This is LA in 2014. You think someone called 911 because there was an interracial couple in Studio City? Really?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They didn’t let the white guy go. How do you explain that?
How do you explain that the white guy complied with the police while she immediately began claiming racism and cursing? After she stormed off, the police officer commented that “he would have been gone already” if she had simply complied with his instruction. </p>

<p>According to the couple, the officer asked the boyfriend for her ID, not for his. I think I’d find this rather insulting and strange if I were them, too. I mean, why hers and not his unless there is something about her that makes one suspicious that she doesn’t belong? What could that be, I wonder?</p>

<p>All I could think of after watching the video in post #196 is, what an articulate and courageous young woman! I could sense her feeling of humiliation through the video- a feeling that has probably occurred many times before in her short life. The policeman was bullying her, and she was actually rather controlled in her refusal, even though obviously upset.
She was within her rights. I think she made a very brave choice in her “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore,” moment.<br>
I’m impressed. I really hope her actions serve to remind our officers in uniform that their “power,” which the officer proudly declared was greater than hers, is only that which is given to them to uphold the law, and no more. If a police officer can’t tell when he crosses the line from serving the public to harassing the public, he needs to go back to the academy for more training. </p>

<p>Flossy, the boyfriend was not detained, not put in handcuffs. Listen to them explain this in the video. The officer asked him for her ID, at which time she told her BF not to give it to him.</p>

<p>Several thoughts. My guess is police may intentionally take their time when they’re responding to a call because, for whatever reason, they got called. If there’s truly a problem they want to find that out. I’m thinking frequently it may be hazy and they’re trying to figure out what is going on. We hope they’ll be respectful of citizen rights, evenhanded, and not heavy handed. Unfortunately their job requires them to step into messy situations and at times have their lives on the line, so that may not always be what happens. Indeed, If there’s a recurring problematic enforcement pattern, it needs to be addressed. It’s interesting reading here what one poster, who is saying he is informed on what should be done legally, states should be protocol.</p>

<p>People who make a call may be doing so based on what activities go on in the area from time to time or some other recent incident or for any other number of reasons, argh. Lergnom, in some neighborhoods I’m guessing the same thing might happen to a thin white woman, dressed in a not particularly provocative manner. It would not surprise me at all, though, if whatever was going on in this situation did in fact capture someone’s attention more because the couple wasn’t the same race.</p>

<p>Moonchild - No, the boyfriend was asked for his ID first and showed it. He acknowledged this on Facebook and in countless subsequent interviews.They did ask him about her ID because at that point she was on the phone and then she basically comes over starts ranting which ended in handcuffs, photos, and a series of TV appearances.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/update-danielle-watts-bbw-exclusive-interview-boyfriend-john/”>http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/update-danielle-watts-bbw-exclusive-interview-boyfriend-john/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ok, I’m wrong about that , then. It doesn’t explain the bullying, which is something I feel while watching this tape (#196). </p>

<p>What you call “ranting”, I see a very upset young woman who feels she is being targeted because of her skin color. I listened to another tape just now where the officer asks him, “What is she to you?” at the beginning, before he approached her. I also think it’s wrong for an officer to ask the boyfriend to get into her things to show her ID. Why can’t he ask her himself, first? </p>

<p>I call it bullying and condescension too. But how one views it depends on whether one thinks the cop has the right to ask for ID. I say he doesn’t, because a phone call does not constitute probable cause. Therefore, his continued insistence sounds like bullying. I would be upset if I thought the cops thought I was a prostitute. And I might not show ID if I thought I didn’t have to, just because I’m stubborn. At some point, going along to get along has to stop.</p>

<p>She’s making a fuss. In my opinion, she’s right to make a fuss. Enough is enough. Evidently, this wasn’t the first or the tenth time she was harassed because of her race and her boyfriend’s race.</p>

<p>Enough is enough.</p>

<p>And yes, she has the right to say no, and to walk away unless he is arresting her. </p>

<p>Would I advise my kids to do that? No, but then they also don’t have a history of being harassed. She was obviously coming from a place of personal history very different from my two kids. And she wanted to make a point.
I guess it’s just a matter of opinion whether that point needs making.</p>

<p>Also, when the officer asks the guy, “What is she to you?” it’s pretty obvious that he’s thinking she’s a prostitute. He’s not asking whether this woman is his wife or his girlfriend; he’s looking for a hooker. And I dare anyone to say with a straight face that the cop would say the same thing, at the beginning, to a white man with a white woman.</p>

<p>There is no way, CF. The disrespect (of her) was palpable, on both videos, just as her anger about the situation was.</p>

<p>Well, I do think a reported sex act in a car is going to be a possible hooker situation regardless of race. What the cops thought is unknowable and I don’t really care what they thought. The only real question is did they have right to ask for ID? LAPD says yes and cited the section of the penal code that allows it. But, maybe they are wrong.</p>

<p>According to the police report, it was a “lewd act,” but that was never defined. The couple says they were making out. I do think there are people who think a black woman and a white man making out is lewd.<br>
The police are allowed to ask, but you are also allowed to refuse. If they want to bring you in and book you for the crime they are using as probable cause, they can, but they have to arrest you and take you in.</p>

<p>In California, there is no law that says you even need to carry an ID, nor do you need to show “your papers” unless you are stopped for a traffic violation, and then you must show your license and registration.</p>

<p>LAPD is citing this…</p>

<p><a href=“http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/1/15/2/s647”>http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/1/15/2/s647&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Give me a break. They put her in handcuffs. She didn’t handcuff herself. This abdication of responsibility reminds me of a wife abuser- you FORCED me to hit you. No. She did not force them to put her in handcuffs. They chose to put her in handcuffs although she had committed no crime. </p>

<p>What is your point, Flossy? Everyone knows that having sex in public (lewd acts) is illegal. The issue is whether the police had probable cause to believe that’s what the couple was doing.</p>

<p>There are plenty of annoying people who refuse to show ID to police. Just look for “checkpoint refusal” to find many proudly filmed uploads. They have a valid point, the police think they have a valid point, but guess who is not handcuffed or thrown in the back of a police vehicle? The primarily white men who make these videos. </p>

<p><a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>My point is that’s what was reported…</p>

<p><a href=““Django” Actress Witnessed Having Sex with Boyfriend in Public Before Being Detained | Complex”>“Django” Actress Witnessed Having Sex with Boyfriend in Public Before Being Detained | Complex;