<p>Here’s the St. Paul video of the man being arrested for Walking While Black:
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;
<p>I hope the St. Paul police get sued and have to pay a trillion dollar settlement. There is absolutely no justification for what they did. Why did they start harassing this innocent guy who was minding his own business? And the thing is, this has always been going on. It’s not new. What’s new is cell phone videos and GoPro; being arrested for XXXing While Black is the norm.</p>
<p>As a teenager, I was stopped while driving through a rural area of New England. At first I was confused, as I was not speeding. Immediately after asking for my license and registration, the officer asked who my passenger was. My boyfriend. As the officer stumbled over his words as he explained that he was looking for a vehicle that matched the description of my car, I realized that I had been stopped solely for driving a guy with dark skin.</p>
<p>Yea, I was stopped while driving a former classmate back to his hotel. Didn’t get a ticket but they did ask me about passenger and were satisfied when I said I was driving him back to his hotel. We are different races and he obviously does not appear to be ‘local.’ It was weird to me then and now. </p>
<p>If you haven’t seen Jon Stewart and the Daily Show’s Monday night show, please do yourself a favor and watch the opening segment. It’s one of the best treatments of the subject I’ve seen. </p>
<p>The cell phone video just fills me with rage. The male cop should be fired. The female cop should at the very least be reprimanded and retrained.</p>
<p>That was one of the best things I’ve seen John Stuart do! Thanks for linking that show. It is upsetting that these incidents still occur with disgusting regularity.</p>
<p>Let me see if I understand this. A robbery takes place; a black male about a block away from the robbery closely matched the clothing and physical characteristics of the male suspect and an eye witness positively identified the subject in a field show-up, but the police are not supposed to arrest the guy because he is African American and if he is arrested in error the police and everyone else will have to ensure the never ending whining of African Americans complaining that the police only stop African American males because of their race. Yep, from now on the police should only arrest suspects who are white and let the African Americans go free. </p>
<p>Just watched the cell phone video. Deeply, deeply disturbing. I cannot believe those officers were not stripped of their duties. But of course, as Ben Stein said about Michael Brown, a black man with no weapon is still not necessarily “unarmed.” The weapon is Being Black.</p>
<p>What’s most horrible about the St. Paul case is that this guy was WAITING TO PICK UP HIS KIDS. He was even EARLY. And he also kept his composure amazingly well despite being treated the way he was.</p>
<p>razorsharp, why don’t you watch the St. Paul video. Or the one of the woman being pulled out of her car with her young kids watching. Or any of a number of similar videos. Then let’s have a discussion about whining.</p>
<p>No, why don’t we have a discussion about the hollywood producer who was one block away from a robbery, similarly dressed to the robber and identified by a witness, but somehow the cops just decided to arrest him because was walking while black. Mistakes happen and the consequences are very bad to the person suffering from the mistake, but it is nothing but whining to say this is just another example of racial profiling by police when there is no evidence of that at all. I am tired of so many people presuming racial motives by police when there is no evidence of it at all as is this case. </p>
<p>Maybe new evidence will emerge and we will find a secret memo from deep inside police headquarters with the subject line “must arrest more black males because of their race” but until such new evidence arrives, it is baseless to blame police in this case. </p>
<p>razorsharp: but racial profiling goes on ALL THE TIME. So to use your logic, it’s whining for you to complain that the cops got accused of profiling when they weren’t. Blame all the other racist cops who DO profile for these fine upstanding LA cops making an “innocent mistake.” They’ll get over it.</p>
<p>I’m sorry @razorsharp - no. Not OK. Not even if they thought he was the robber. No attorney phone call? Not checking the security footage? SIX hours?</p>