House-Warming Gift for Young Man on His Own for First Time

<p>Looking for ideas for a house-warming gift for a great young man who has just accepted his first 'real' job in a new city 5 (or more) hours away from home. He signed a lease for an apartment recently and moves in this weekend. I've known his family for several years and would like to acknowledge this new chapter in his life with a house-warming gift. Not aware of what he has for his new place..... Any no-fail ideas?</p>

<p>A gift certificate for a celebratory meal at a restaurant near the new job would be nice. If you know what kind of food he likes you could use Trip Advisor to look at reviews. I've phoned out-of-town restaurants to order gift certificates if they're not available on-line.</p>

<p>Make up a basket of coffee-related items that would be nice for his personal use or for entertaining.
Since he may already have an automatic coffee maker, a French press.
A grinder for coffee beans. Attractive cups, with servers for sugar and cream.
A bag or two of excellent beans.</p>

<p>I once gave a young man a small-size George Foreman grill. He seemed to like it.</p>

<p>Since you know his family you may want to check with his parents to see if there is anything in particular he needs.</p>

<p>If you think he cooks, small versions of some kitchen tools... Mini Cuisinart Chopper, e.g. and a cookbook such as Mark Bittman's... </p>

<p>If not a cook, a gift certificate to Home Depot or the Container Store...</p>

<p>The George Foreman was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I also think a gift card to a big box store could be very helpful so he can buy bedding or housewares. For something more personal, a pot for pasta, strainer, noodles and sauce (or recipes) should do the trick.</p>

<p>If he enjoys wine with dinner, a smooth and well-functioning corkscrew is nice. There are some upscale models. Toss in some plastic bottle-top plugs, to save the undrunk wine in bottles in the refrigerator. </p>

<p>I always feel badly when hosts bring out some nice wine and then struggle to look cool opening it. Um, oh, that's me.</p>

<p>Another direction: if there's an art or photography gallery near his new residence, consider a gift certificate there so he can buy a small framed piece of art to his taste. It's a step up from college posters.</p>

<p>Agree with George Foreman. The other item I got my son was a slow cooker and cookbook. Great for someone who works all day especially if they live on a cold climate</p>

<p>I like the kitchen tool idea the best without the cookbook. There are so many recipes online.</p>

<p>My kids are kind of gourmetish cooks, but don't have and can't afford all the tools necessary to cook adequately. When they come home they love to cook in my kitchen that has every tool.</p>

<p>After visiting our son in his first post-college apartment, I gave him a combination blender/food processor. (It turns out that the blender he had used to make smoothies in college had belonged to his roommate.) With a small apartment kitchen, keeping it small and multifunctional was a good idea.</p>

<p>Remember that many grads have lived in apartments while in college. They may have accumulated kitchen basics, but maybe not. So unless you know for sure, a gift card may make good sense.</p>

<p>Actually I like the cookbook idea. I'm thinking about the kind of cookbook that has very simple to fix meal ideas.
How about this one:
Amazon.com:</a> A Man, a Can, a Microwave: 50 Tasty Meals You Can Nuke in No Time (Man, a Can... Series) (9781579548926): David Joachim, The Editors of Men's Health: Books</p>

<p>And them maybe include the ingredients for one of the recipes.</p>

<p>My s likes the juicer he got.</p>

<p>Since you don't know what he already has, to me a no-fail would be a gift card to Home Depot/Lowes or Target/BB&B.</p>

<p>My DS can't live without his George Forman and his blender.</p>

<p>I think a cookbook is a great idea, but it should be a "store bought" cookbook. Make your own with his favorite recipes, maybe even illustrated with your own photos. For novice cooks, cookbooks are sometimes bewildering.</p>

<p>I'd second the suggestion for Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It's a great resource, even for folks who know how to cook. The other suggestion I'd have is to get him one or two good culinary knives. IMO, a good knife is one of the most important pieces of cooking equipment you can own.</p>

<p>I'm with Bromfield. A good chef's knife makes a huge difference -- Cooks Illustrated rated this $27 knife as a best value:
Amazon.com:</a> Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife: Kitchen & Dining</p>

<p>And the Bittman book is great. </p>

<p>An instant-read (cooking) thermometer is also pretty handy, especially since the "is it done yet" question is really tough for inexperienced cooks.</p>

<p>That's funny, I logged on to suggest a cooking knife or steak knives plus a meat thermometer!</p>

<p>A set of pasta bowls--serving bowl and four smaller bowls. Williams-Sonoma always has great ones and it's a nice gift without being over the top. Or an Ikea gift card--they have everything and it's the funnest place in the world when you're just starting out!</p>

<p>George foreman could be a good idea but check with his parents to see if he has one already. I happen to have two because someone didn't ask first. ;)</p>