How Different Are Lefties?

<p>I'm a lefty all the way...I write, eat, throw, and fix things using my left hand. Years ago I was in line and a cashier was ringing up my order. As she was talking to me I noticed she was acting differently and saying things that struck a chord with me. When she finally picked up her pen and began writing something down, I noticed she was left handed. I wondered if that had something to do with the way she did her job and interacted with others. </p>

<p>I have tried to spot other lefties ever since that day. Sometimes someone will fit the mold and sure enough they turn out to be lefthanded. Do other lefties like me also pick up this vibe?</p>

<p>And for righties do you see different behavior in southpaws?</p>

<p>This article might interest you:</p>

<p>Unique</a> Left Handed Facts - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com</p>

<p>Half of our family is lefty..and half righty. No difference.</p>

<p>My husband is left-handed in all tasks. However, I am a strange mix, and I wish I understood it better. I am considered left-handed because I write with my left hand. However, I throw and bat right-handed. In some tasks I have a clear preference for one hand over the other (for example, I could not throw left-handed), but for some tasks either hand is equally....handy.</p>

<p>I wish I understood why this is.</p>

<p>I would guess you look for lefties and associate what you observe about them and that a careful study would show the differences are just normal variation.</p>

<p>My mother and brother are left-handed, while my father and other brother are right-handed. I am a mix because I was born left-handed and then had to switch to my right hand because of an accident at a young age. I do some things left and some things right and some with my right leg, some with my left, and mostly I switch without thinking about it. My left hand can't handwrite as well but I blame school desks for making right-handed writing so much easier. I can mirror write, for what little that's worth. My point: no difference. I can't perceive a difference in my family or in myself from left to right hand, even though according to hemisphere theories my internal arrangement is kind of screwy. </p>

<p>My mom had a lot of left-handed appliances, like can openers, so maybe what you observe is people who are very left-handed. That can be a problem. I've tried to convince my brother that he should relearn golfing from the left side because that would be more natural for him. We had no choice back then: it was play right-handed or be 1 of like 100,000.</p>

<p>Then there is the whole mess of writing left-handed. Lefties will immediately identify when I mention the irritation of writing on a spiral-bound notebook and the side of your hand rubs against the metal spirals.</p>

<p>Or when you write in pencil, your hands rubs across the material you have already written, resulting in the side of your hand turning dark from all the pencil lead, and the writing is smeared.</p>

<p>Lefties have to adopt one of two techniques:
1. Curling your hand to the inside (like a claw) and basically writing upside down.
or
2. Turning the paper around clockwise so that (again) you are writing upside down.</p>

<p>I use technique #1, so I am kinda confused how they do the second one.</p>

<p>My 10-year-old is a dominate lefty. It was apparent to me when he was a baby, because when I gave him a spoon in his right hand, he always switched it to his left hand.</p>

<p>He is great at baseball - a lefty pitcher and hitter.</p>

<p>He can dribble in basketball equally well with both hands; a very handy skill. And, he goes to his left when he shoots, which really throws off the opposing team.</p>

<p>I'm surprised that he doesn't have that awkward overhanded writing style that I see with some lefties - he has great penmanship, including cursive.</p>

<p>All in all, I'm absolutely thrilled with my lefty - I suppose that I could attribute all sorts of great things to his leftyness!</p>

<p>I'm actually ambidextrous, but I prefer to write with my left hand. I use scissors in my right hand, and can print fairly decently with my right hand; although, it is slower than with my left hand. I switch off using both hands.</p>

<p>I'm a lefty! And I hate hate hate writing essays b/c my hand turns silver after writing a paper. & the worst was SATs...after writing my essay, I realized that my entire section 2 was smudged with the lefty pencil smudge marks, so I went to erase that at the end & the proctor snatched my paper. I contemplated telling her "that's discriminating against lefties. Righties don't have to erase their smudge marks," but I didn't want to risk having my scores rescinded for disorderly conduct</p>

<p>Both my husband and I are righties although I can't blow my nose with my right hand. Both children are left handed. I knew my D was a lefty when she was a few weeks old and started sucking her left fist. My S had a great baseball career through high school because he is a lefty.</p>

<p>yeahhhh southpaws</p>

<p>DS is a lefty, but we didn't figure it out until he was in kindergarten. In preschool he'd pick up a crayon in his left hand, work halfway thought the "masterpiece" and finish the rest in the right hand. Dad taught him to bat and golf right handed which he still does, but pitches and bowls left. At 18 his handwriting looks like an eight year old's. I cringe every time he writes a thank you note or has to fill out a form before an interview. (But honestly, grandma loves the sincere thanks and he's gotten every job/scholarship he's interviewed for so maybe that's my paranoia.)</p>

<p>I haven't noticed that left-handers have inferior penmanship--even with the awkward writing style. Painful cursive I actually associate more as a gender issue.</p>

<p>Gourmetmom: how does your son hold his pen when he is writing? Is everything he is writing obscured by his hand as he writes it? (I am really curious.) Are you sure he doesn't use the tilted tablet method?</p>

<p>I am the only lefty in my family. I am one of 6 siblings. My kids are all right handed. I was forced in elementary school to hold my pencil like a right handed person. I don't have the claw method nor do I tilt my paper. I do most tasks left handed. The one weird thing is when I play piano my right hand is much more natural.</p>

<p>It has always been difficult for me to write lefthanded. Getting ink stains on my shirts and hands. College lecture halls had those chairs with the tiny collapsible writing squares always on the right side.</p>

<p>I'm reminded of being a lefty and trying to fire an M-16 on the rifle range in basic training. While in the prone position, I would squeeze the trigger, the bullet would fire, and then the shell would eject. The problem was the shell would land either on my right cheek or my right ear burning my skin every time. I got so I would flinch after each shot. Eventually I figured out a position to get into so the shell would barely miss me. I'm not sure if they ever considered that lefties might want to shoot the rifle when they designed it.</p>

<p>"I am a strange mix, and I wish I understood it better. I am considered left-handed because I write with my left hand. However, I throw and bat right-handed."</p>

<p>Skyhook, you and my DH are opposites! He's considered right handed because he writes with his right hand but he throws and bats left-handed! I wonder how that happens.</p>

<p>My daughter grew up with a dear friend who is a dominate lefty. He would get so frustrated as a youngster at times and would always say that the world is not made for leftys.</p>

<p>One good example by skyhook:
"Then there is the whole mess of writing left-handed. Lefties will immediately identify when I mention the irritation of writing on a spiral-bound notebook and the side of your hand rubs against the metal spirals."</p>

<p>Well, if it's any consolation, I've always greatly admired leftys thinking that it's really quite unique and kind of cool actually when you think about it.</p>

<p>I'm a leftie and I still get guff for it sometimes. </p>

<p>They thought I was "slow" in Kindergarten because I couldn't write with my right hand. Dad (who was left-handed, but was forced to write with his right hand in school) was there and witnessed this one day, and asked, "Why don't you try putting the pencil in her left hand?" BOOM.</p>

<p>My writing has gotten better, but is still not very neat. I can remember being traumatized at having teachers yell at me because I "wasn't trying hard enough" to be neat.</p>

<p>I golf and throw right-handed, but I bowl left-handed.</p>

<p>My friends in HS would look at the side of my hand after an in-class essay and think I'd injured myself somehow due to the smudges/ink.</p>

<p>Skyhook -</p>

<p>I just had him write a line for me to double check. He writes left to right in a straight line, with his knuckles pointing to one o'clock. He doesn't tilt the paper. When he was learning to write, his teacher said that she saw many lefties with good penmanship and that his writing style was not unusual, however, most of the adult lefties I know tilt the paper or curl their hand. </p>

<p>My left-handed brother was taught by nuns who slapped his hand with a ruler; perhaps they caused the claw-handed technique?</p>

<p>Has anyone read the book, "Stand Up for your Lefts!" Title is so clever but I never read it.</p>

<p>My grandfather told me he was "ambidextrous" which at age 9 I thought meant he could breathe above and below water like a river otter. I was not ready for my SATs.</p>

<p>Growing up, I noticed Lefties took well to handwriting in Hebrew because it is penned right to left, so there was no smearing smearing of ink as they worked.</p>

<p>I like the new scissors stamped "LEFTY" for elementary school kids.
I'd watch their faces when they picked through a box, looking for them like salvation.</p>

<p>I think Hebrew may be backwards because it was cut into a tablet of sorts and you'd hold the hammer with your right hand and the chisel thing with your left. That made moving to the left the natural choice. </p>

<p>I've never verified this but I was always told when visiting castles that stairs wound clockwise because most attackers would be right-handed and thus to use that hand they would have to stand further from the wall, exposing themselves. The defenders, by contrast, could hug the wall and reach around the edge because their right hands would be on that side. That makes sense but they then said lefties were valuable because they could fight up the stairs without exposing themselves as much. Nice idea but I have no idea if it's true.</p>