I am so thankful for the wealth of information I am getting here. I am still a newbie and not sure how to write out the chance me/match me. I will try this. Yes he has taken Yearbook, loves photography, interviewing people, he is the copy editor, he is also co captain Mock trial, moot court. He leads Olympiad session for elementary school kids and he is also running a great club at school, As I mentioned elsewhere, he is expanding his research paper and hopes to publish this. If he had time, he would probably do a podcast, he sent out an idea on Nextdoor and he got a ton of suggestions and people asked him to interview them, but he just had to cut back as he has little time. He is probably interested in cross discipline between Physics and humanites - this is why Stanford’s STS appealed to him a lot.
@Mwfan1921 He has enrolled for Electronics Course at Community College. I forgot to mention he is the Copy editor for Yearbook and loves that. So his school had biotech for Science but as it clashed with YearBook, he is taking the community college route. He is not keen to take Physics 3 in community college as lab is separate and goes from 6 pm to 10 pm each week. He just does not have cycles and even this I am hoping he can cope. He has SATs next month, he runs his school club at lunch time, teaches Olympiad in the elementary school on one evening each week, and is working on his research paper that he is planning to take to publication this year and he is co-captain for Mock Trial and that will start in September as well.
I posted his UC GPAs earlier. Lemme know if you want me to repost.(UC weighted 4.63, unweighted 4.15)
@momofboiler1 , I mentioned this in my reply to @Mwfan1921. He is taking electronics at Community college as he is copy editor of Yearbook and had to drop the Science elective at school. He has completed Linear Algebra and Multivar and AP Stats is the only math he can take at school. The other option is to drop this and take another course at community college. But he is not sure he can manage that with all the other things he has this year including college apps..
@stuffedtacos Well-put. Very proud of him. He has been a hardworking student. We are proud of him and will support him whatever the shool.
He wanted to take AP Physics C and that required pre-calc and so he took the summer to complete this. When he did his AP Calc AB, his friends took Calc BC and so he decided to self-study and take the BC exam so he could be with them!
It’s nice that your HS calculates this for the UCs (our HS doesn’t do that). The effective GPA will end up being a bit lower for Cal Poly, as they also include 9th grade in the calculation.
@Gumbymom This is very useful! Thank you for providing this. But I am not sure I understand completely. Would appreciate if you can explain these, For UCB, 2026 Capped weighted : 4.16 -4.28, what do the others Unweighted and weighted uncapped mean? My son’s UC Capped is 4.15, while UC (W) : 4.63 and there is another UC ELC which is also 4.63.
Thank you @eyemgh. I will pm you.
His rank : school rank which will change by the end of first semester is now 38/591. His Physics teacher is writing his LOR and the other one by his English or History teacher. Caltech for their grad outcomes and coursework - he says. Regarding Princeton, he has made notes why. He is researching other schools and then we might have a greater choice.
Here are the directions for doing a Chance Me/Match me thread. Just follow these directions. Answer ALL of the questions on the template. This will give more complete information in one place rather than scrolling through a bunch of posts to look for info.
I hope this helps.
The UC’s calculate out 3 GPA’s using 10-11th grades. Unweighted UC GPA is on a 4.0 scale. Capped weighted is on a 4.4 scale with a maximum of 8 semester Honors points for approved classes. Weighted uncapped is on a 5.0 scale with unlimited Honors points for approved classes. Berkeley and UCLA tend to focus on the Unweighted and Weighted uncapped GPA’s which they list on their Freshman profile websites.
OP: You’re asking too early. Need an actual standardized test score (ACT or SAT).
AP scores of 4 on several subjects suggests that Stanford & Princeton should not be his focus. Make a more realistic list of schools.
(Not sure why, but this thread has piqued my interest in Shakespeare’s Hamlet.)