How much would having a 3.7 UC GPA hurt my chances?

<p>Assuming I apply to Letters and Science?</p>

<p>University</a> of California: StatFinder says that for 2008-2009, applicants to Berkeley for each GPA (weighted and capped) range had the following chance of admission:</p>

<p>3.60-3.79: 4.7%
3.80-3.99: 12.5%
4.00-4.19: 36.4%
4.20+: 69.2%</p>

<p>While this is overall, note that L&S is the largest undergraduate division, so L&S only chances would not have been that much different. Note also that it is generally thought that getting admitted has gotten more difficult since 2008-2009, the latest year reported in UC StatFinder.</p>

<p>In other words, your chances would be hurt dramatically. You would need high test scores or ridiculous ECs to make up for a GPA like that.</p>

<p>From 2010</p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/campuses/files/berkeley.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/campuses/files/berkeley.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Could a fantastic personal statement make up for the GPA?</p>

<p>While not impossible, it would be much more difficult. </p>

<p>Having a 2200 + is a must, with high SAT II/AP Scores.</p>

<p>I would recommend having an extremely strong personal statement- why your grades took a dip, why they are not reflective upon your potential, why you would succeed at Berkeley if chosen.</p>

<p>Also you would probably need an excellent ECs, like a sport, musical instrument, website development, ect.</p>

<p>To make matters much worse, I've actually scored a 1 on my first AP exam (world history), and I'm a late bloomer, so I have only started doing ECs this year, my junior year (I'm not actually applying until next year). Would these factors knock me out of the running completely?</p>

<p>A 1 on AP World History certainly says something about your academic ability and/or work ethic. I'd say that you have no chance, but applying wouldn't exactly cost you anything.</p>

<p>Now stop bugging us with annoying questions. I heard there's this site called google.com that's pretty useful. You should check it out.</p>

<p>I know, my freshman and sophomore years were really bad...as I said, I'm a late bloomer. My personal statement will most likely be about that.</p>

<p>How are you calculating a UC GPA with only sophomore grades?</p>

<p>I'm glad that you're taking what I said with humility and manners. </p>

<p>It doesn't matter when you bloom, as long as you put forth the effort, you should be able to achieve something fulfilling.</p>

<p>
[quote]
How are you calculating a UC GPA with only sophomore grades?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm expecting to have 3 B's and 4 A's this semester, and hoping for 7 A's next semester. ._.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm glad that you're taking what I said with humility and manners. </p>

<p>It doesn't matter when you bloom, as long as you put forth the effort, you should be able to achieve something fulfilling.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
Could a fantastic personal statement make up for the GPA?

[/quote]

A compelling essay is critical. Good luck!</p>

<p>essay is important, but most people that make up the bottom parts of the GPA are
1) athletes (that will be on an intercollegiate team here)
2) you have some sort of national or international award/recognition (sports, arts, etc.)
3) you have some super extreme, interesting life experience (you lost your parents during the war, and you are applying as international applicant from Iraq or something... you know, something exotic)</p>

<p>If your gpa is 3.70 with just average high school extracurriculars (esp if they are just junior year and beyond) coupled with 1 on AP, I'm gonna have to say no essay will cover for the gpa</p>

<p>Should I cancel my AP score on world history or will they value the fact that I at least attempted it?</p>

<p>bump? 10char</p>

<p>
[quote]
Should I cancel my AP score on world history or will they value the fact that I at least attempted it?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>My question remains unanswered. D:<</p>

<p>we're not your college counsellors. And frankly, no matter what you do, I don't think you will get in. There is nothing spectacular in the app to make up for others.. Everything is way below average. </p>

<p>And no they don't care if it's first choice - because it is for many people</p>

<p>Don't say that I am harsh, because you asked - and I am giving a truthful answer. I know that you want to hear 'everything will be alright- they see that you have this amazing potential although you have nothing to show for it' but real world doesn't work that way.</p>

<p>Yeah you're probably right. Berkeley is my absolute reach. I really appreciate your honesty. Thanks! :)</p>

<p>a 2200+ SAT//ultra high GPA//ultra high SAT scores are NOT required to get into Berkeley. </p>

<p>I'm PROOF of that.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/670412-alright-chance-me-ucb-ucla.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/670412-alright-chance-me-ucb-ucla.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>But you'll need an excellent personal statement, regardless.</p>