<p>Does anyone else feel this way? </p>
<p>I’d prefer not to evaluate my life and say whether “life is good” or “life sucks”. I think that I’m generally happier if I avoid these evaluative thoughts (and I think others might be happier too). Because - thinking that life sucks can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. And thinking that life’s awesome can lead to eventual disappointment - such thoughts also make me realize that my standards are lower than those of <em>some</em> others (and also, they’d make me embarrassed at my low standards, such as the standards I had in 7th grade). And it’s somewhat uncomfortable to realize that, especially if someone complains about their life when they probably have things better than me. Or if I complain about my life in front of someone who has things worse than me.</p>
<p>look into Buddhism</p>
<p>If you tell yourself you like your life, the implication is that you should be content. But few people are completely content - most can clearly envision things that would make their life better. So doing so just creates cognitive dissonance. It puts pressure on you to like your life (to feel content) even when you do not feel exactly so. That’s why I doubt people think of their life in terms of liking (or disliking) it. </p>
<p>They may say things to others to that effect, telling them their life sucks or is great, but this is a different issue. People say these things for momentary pity or security (for the reaction of the other person, or to affect how they are perceived by the other person - not because they seriously mean it, or think about their life that way.</p>
<p>Also, I think many people experiences both struggles (or at least things they would rather not do) and enjoyable experiences on a day-to-day bases. So thinking of life in terms of plainly disliking or liking it doesn’t make much sense. To them, the struggles are there to be overcome to get to the enjoyable parts, and the enjoyable parts are there to enjoy. It is a cycle.</p>
<p>Lower standards are ok. There’s nothing wrong with that. As long as they make the person happy…</p>