I feel like Poop and I kinda need a bit of advice maybe

Okay so to be clear I’ve always been a pretty good student and I’ve always liked science (I want to be a physics major in college and eventually study quantum biology which is an emerging field) but I’m feeling pretty bummed because over the summer I took a math course and I did not do too well in it. Like I got a C+ in both semesters (partially because the second semester was a couple units too long and it had extended parts on stuff like polar coordinates that you wouldn’t learn until precalculus). My parents never pressured me to do any of this and I chose to do it on my own. I’ve noticed many overstressed kids at my competitive-ass high school falling down the hole of thinking grades are the only thing that matter so I’m trying to make sure I don’t end up with that sorta mentality. I’m also trying to look on the bright side because even though a C+ isn’t great it still passes and if I get A’s in both semesters this year (precalculus) I can get into Calculus BC next year (and possibly skip Calculus in college) because it’s not that I’m bad at math it’s just that I’m not amazing at cramming a whole course into one summer along with unrelated summer homework and things my parents plan.

Since I was little I’d always wanted to go to Berkeley but my parents kinda are just like “yeah get good grades and have your ducks lined up” (which isn’t to blame them they’re just doing their best) and the only way I knew to take more than one AP class was by talking to my friends. I guess what I’m saying is that I would be 100% happy going to community college for two years before transferring even though I know there will most likely be a chance I’ll get into Davis or somewhere cool with good physics. I feel like given another chance where I know all of my options and have a better slate I could totally make it. Is this stupid or should I do something else? Like don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to try to get great grades but I’d like to hear your guyses advice maybe.

My primary recommendation is that you need to be very, very, very cautious about jumping ahead in math.

Math is an area where what you are learning now depends a great deal on what you were studying last year and the year before. What you will be learning next year is going to depend on what you are learning now. This means that it is very important to learn each part very well before you jump ahead to the next part. You should not just learn how to manipulate formulae. Instead you need to also very thoroughly understand the concepts.

Calculus for example depends very heavily on all of its prerequisites. Also, calculus is something that is used a lot in multiple other areas, including but not limited to quite a bit in physics and advanced mathematics. It is also used in economics, and multiple other areas. Again, it is worth the time to learn this very well.

By the way, I was a math major in university. I did eventually get to relatively advanced mathematics. However I took my time and got there slowly.

A wise man once said “Make haste slowly”.

3 Likes

I low-key did Algebra 1 twice (Algebra 1 in 8th grade and Integrated Math 1 in 9th grade) and the parts I struggled with in the summer course were mostly stuff that would technically be Precalculus rather than Integrated Math 3 (like graphing polar coordinates) so I’mma make sure I keep what you said in mind but I also have a pretty small class and a pretty diligent teacher so I think I’ll be fine this year as long as I keep attentive.

Why are you talking about jumping ahead when you are already struggling. You don’t get bonus points for jumping ahead and when you struggle in something that builds upon itself, then you put yourself in a worse position.

And you should look at a Physics major - because you will be taking more math, not skipping out of it. And physics classes have a lot of math. When I asked my son what he did in engineering, he said math, math and more math. There’s a lot of similarity.

One doesn’t know where they’ll get into but it doesn’t matter where you want to go, because you have to get in and UCB is a tough entry for all. But you can study physics anywhere.

There are many four year programs and many great in Physics. U of Arizona might be more “renowned” than any UC but I don’t know your budget, etc.

My advice - slow down, stop trying to jump ahead. I don’t know what year you are but summer is for being a kid.

And in math, it builds - so there’s no reason to race.

I don’t care if you go to UCM or UCLA, you will ultimately make your success. Best on yourself - not a school name.

But a lot goes into a college application - so when it’s time to consider schools, you can do a chance me, or match me, provide your budget and more, and get some guidance.

You erred, but life is about errors and there’s plenty of time to recover. But recover by following a natural path and not sprinting forward. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

And i’m not sure if this class is through your school, but if not, you may want to redo it through school.

Good luck.

2 Likes

It would be faster if you did DE during high school (30 credits’ worth). Then you would only need to attend CC for one year before being eligible for TAG.

When you take precalc in the fall, the first few units will likely be stuff you already studied in the summer. Use this time to review and strengthen your unit circle trig.

Also, check out Walter Lewin’s physics lectures along with their help sessions

I would not put UArizona over all UCs for undergrad physics. Graduate Astronomy, sure. Not to mention the cost difference.

Oh cool, thanks for the advice, I’ll try to see if I can do that.