"I Too Am Harvard"

<p>My biracial D has been hearing things like this since she started school. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/21-black-harvard-students-share-their-experiences-through-a"&gt;http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/21-black-harvard-students-share-their-experiences-through-a&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>That was really powerful - thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’m planning to use it as a jumping off point for a lecture about diversity I’m giving in a few weeks.</p>

<p>Goodness, I just saw this and am happy someone made a thread. </p>

<p>I honestly love this so much! I saw it earlier and I thought it was so amazing, I shared it on my social networks!</p>

<p>This is really impactful. I tweeted it.</p>

<p>“But he’s the whitest Hispanic you’ll ever meet.” My wife (white) to cop investigating burglary at our house when he asked about our last name/race. It’s really no big thing. It’s true.</p>

<p>

To over tens of millions of people it is a big thing. There’s a difference between your example and the examples shown in this article. </p>

<p>This play hits just the tip of what African American students face on an everyday basis not only at Harvard but universities across the nation. </p>

<p>I wish I was near to see the play. </p>

<p>On a similar note, a Fordham University Korean student produced the following:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/kiyun-kim-racial-microaggressions”>http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/kiyun-kim-racial-microaggressions</a></p>

<p>When we managed an apartment building and my (black) husband had to call the cops for a domestic violence situation and went down to wait for them, the cops asked him what he was doing there…people of color get it from all sides all of their lives. My daughter should not have to explain what was doing in a gifted program, nor have to justify herself when she talked about racist comments being made to her. It most certainly IS a big thing for many people of color. </p>

<p>You either get over it or get bitter. There were 2 minority kids at my HS–me and the AA girl. Sure you hear stuff but you have to have the self-confidence not to let it bother you. Where I came from Puerto Ricans (me) were equal or below blacks in social standing-NYC in the 50s. And yes, I had to explain many times why I skipped and how I ended up on the top track in HS. Kids are inquisitive and dumb.</p>

<p>“Get over it or get bitter”, huh? No, I refuse to stand down, to be demoralized, to be forced to assimilate into a stereotypical box in which society tries to force me into. No, I’d rather say “Raise awareness and stop the mindless hatred”. When a significant portion of your university’s racial group feels oppressed, discriminated, socially inadequate in your educational institution, something is wrong. </p>

<p>And if “kids are inquisitive and dumb” why not educate them? This is exactly what this play is doing. It is educating those who hear about it. It’s changing how socially these students are perceived. </p>

<p>Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. These are students at Harvard. </p>

<p>Something is wrong and awareness must be spread. I, for one, am happy that this is taking place. No longer will children have to listen to “Get over it or get bitter”. Rather they’ll hear how what they’re experiencing in unjust, and that there is something they can do about it.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this. I’m putting it up on my facebook.</p>

<p>Excellent post, Niquii!</p>

<p>I’m not buying it. Yes, there is still racial injustice in America but it doesn’t have to define you unless you let it. Most people, particularly at our universities, are not racists nor do they stereotype black people in the manner these kids seem to think it is happening. There are many black people who don’t feel this way and are not allowing it to color their perception of white people. Sometimes, I think people of color or any minority for that matter cop this attitude so when they fail (like anyone who is successful in life) they can become the victim and blame their setbacks on others rather than take responsibility for their actions.</p>

<p>@Goldenpooch,
What is your race?
I don’t think that “most” people are racist. I do think that “some” people are racist and some of them do say very mean things to your face (and mean things behind your back) which can be hurtful.</p>

<p>Why does it matter?</p>

<p>I always thought as a parent it was important to let my kid know that life wouldn’t always be fair or that people would always treat you nicely, but so what. Never allow yourself to use it as an excuse to feel sorry for yourself or to rationalize why you may have it tougher than someone else. Your self-worth is not defined by others. Only you can do that. </p>

<p>It’s time someone told these kids exactly what every parent should always tell their kids. Stop wallowing in self-pity and look for the good in those around you… Most people will judge you for the right reasons, so focus your energy on them, not the ones who want to do you harm. Unfortunately, these kids are listening to people who are encouraging the self-defeating behavior in which they are currently engaged. </p>

<p>@Goldenpooch, you are right when you say that other peoples opinions shouldn’t define us and we shouldn’t use it as an excuse or whatever.</p>

<p>BUT, this issue isn’t as simple as “life isn’t fair, deal with it”. NO.</p>

<p>It’s about changing their perception. Coz if everyone starts accepting stuff like racism and homophobia as another one of life’s inevitable aspects, then it will never end. You can’t just shove issues like this under the carpet and tell the victims to toughen up!</p>

<p>It isn’t about self-pity either. They are students at Harvard, for what it’s worth I really doubt that they pity themselves or feel any less about themselves. If anything, they are brave to have taken a stand.</p>

<p>If it wasn’t for movements like this, women won’t have the rights they do right now. Nor will the LGBTQ community.</p>

<p>I’m sorry but life isn’t that straightforward. Ignoring the bad and focusing on the good looks noble in books and tv shows. In real life, the bad DOES affect the good in one way or another and so it is of utmost importance for us to try and correct it. If not for ourselves then for the ones who will come after us.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I bet if you asked most of the people who said those things, they wouldn’t consider themselves to be racist. In fact the person who said “I don’t see color,” was probably trying be the exact opposite. Many of the others were probably people trying to be funny. Hopefully this campaign will get people to see that even though they don’t think of themselves as racist, what they say can be. Unfortunately, for some reason people seem to get super defensive when confronted with the idea that they may be racist, or say racist things.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No one is having their perception of white people colored, and most, if not all, of those comments could have been made by people of any race</p>

<p>Sure, it is true that it is better for the objects of these stupid remarks to try not to take them to heart: one needs to try not to let this kind of stuff take up too much mental/emotional space. BUT… more to the point, the dopes who say this stuff without thinking need to be confronted with it so that they can <em>realize</em> what they are doing and STOP. And the mean-spirited people who deliberately insult and demean others need to receive the strong message that they aren’t going to get away with it any longer.</p>

<p>@barrons, I don’t understand why your wife would say that. It sounds like she is apologizing for your ethnicity. It’s like she saying, “Yeah, he’s Latino, but don’t worry, he’s really ONE OF US.”</p>