I Was Mistakenly Dismissed For Cheating and Dismissed

<p>I have sent a complaint to Collegeboard. Does anyone knows what happens next?</p>

<p>This is part of the email I sent.</p>

<p>The proctor dismissed me for cheating because he claimed that I was changing answers for the wrong section. However, I was not “cheating”. Here is what happened:</p>

<p>I started on Section 3, which was a Writing section, after our 5 minute break. I had studied extremely hard over the grammar rules for the writing, and I immediately zoned in on what I believed were the correct answers after reading the sentence once. I sped through the first couple questions, circling the answers in the test book, not bubbling in the answer document yet, which is what I usually do. After about 30 seconds, the questions became more difficult. So, I skipped those and looked ahead instead. I saw #11, which happened to be a question that I could figure out the answer by just reading the sentence. I then circled what I believed was the right answer to #11 in the test book.
I then began quickly bubbling on my answer document, intending on doing the questions I skipped after bubbling in all the answers that I knew were correct. I bubbled in questions 1-4 on Section 3 in the answer document. However, when it came to #5, I mistakenly bubbled in B for #5 in Section 2 of the answer document, which I had already answered E earlier. Having two bubbles filled in for #5 of Section 2, I immediately realized my error and began erasing the B mark in Section 2.</p>

<p>The proctor, noticing that I was erasing in Section 2, immediately took my answer document away and dismissed me from the room. He claimed that I was working on the wrong section and was therefore “cheating”. I did my best to explain, but he wouldn’t hear it. He said that he clearly saw me erasing from Section 2, which was the truth, but not in the way that he thought it was. My test book was clearly open to Section 3. So, how could I be changing Section 2 answers if I wasn’t even working in Section 2?
He then saw my test book, and saw how quickly I circled the answers, and how I did a number of questions in under a minute. He then accused me of starting Section 3 early because I had circled the answer for #11 in the test book.</p>

<p>He continued to ignore me and showed me the door. I then asked if I could protest this, and he replied with “Good luck.”</p>

<p>I am an Eagle Scout of the Boy Scouts of America. I had a good and honest upbringing. I am not a cheater. </p>

<p>I don’t know I should do right now and I also have a lot of questions. What happens to my test book and answer document? Do I have to register for the December SAT to retake the test? This was the last SAT fee waiver that I could use from my school. So does my family have to pay full price for it? What’s the next step for me?</p>

<p>First time posting, unsure if this is in the right section.</p>

<p>I'd contact collegeboard.. Just my 2cents</p>

<p>Yeah, I sent Collegeboard the email. I just don't know what happens next.</p>

<p>You definitely got gypped man. I caught myself accidentally filling in the wrong sections at least 3 times today.</p>

<p>I don't think you have a leg to stand on. If you were marking (or erasing) something in test booklet for section 2 when you were supposed to be in section 3, you were breaking the rules (even if it was by accident). It was your own mistake that led to you being dismissed, not the proctors.</p>

<p>
[quote]
**The test supervisor will tell you when to start and stop each section:</p>

<pre><code>You must work within each section of the test only for the time allotted.
You may not to go back to a section once that section has ended.**
You may not go ahead to a new section if you finish a section early.
Do not skip sections. Doing so may result in score cancellation, delays, or both.
</code></pre>

<p>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I know right, I mean it happens. And the proctor just wouldn't listen to my explanation.</p>

<p>To swimcatsmom</p>

<p>I didn't break any of those rules. I was not working on Section 2, I was working on Section 3. Also, I never went back to Section 2 to change my answers.</p>

<p>wow, not to make you more angry, but that guy is taking his "second" job way to seriously. Every proctor where I have taken the test, deliberately sees me going over the time limit, I flip back sections and forward sections when I am not supposed to. Sorry to say but yea you did kind of get gypped. College Board, would probably take the word of the proctor, in which they supply under them. Probably have to re-take.</p>

<p>But are colleges going to see that I "cheated" on the SAT?</p>

<p>Like how will it affect my admissions?</p>

<p>doubt it, I think your scores just get canceled. Thats it. Its just like when someone voluntarily cancels scores, however I'm not sure.</p>

<p>Ugh, I'm gonna call Collegeboard on Monday and figure it out.</p>

<p>So I gotta pay to retake a test that I was mistakenly kicked out of? Gf Collegeboard.</p>

<p>I swear to God, if Collegeboard was so paranoid that people are going back on sections, they should just use those plastic seals like how they do on the AP tests.</p>

<p>Dude I know. I was ****ed when I realized I couldn't use my mechanical pencil because people have hidden cameras in them (supposedly). I have a cut on my finger from using normal pencils. Those pencils cant even erase completely.</p>

<p>I think they're being uptight about testing because of that cheating ring in New York, but this is just ridiculous.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The proctor, noticing that I was erasing in Section 2

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, I never went back to Section 2 to change my answers.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm confused.</p>

<p>^ The OP was erasing in section 2 because he accidentally filled in a Section 2 bubble, NOT because he was changing an answer.</p>

<p>The best you can hope for is a free retake.</p>

<p>That's what I'm hoping for.</p>

<p>I did understand that the OP accidentally filled in a section 2 bubble and was erasing it. But from the proctor's point of view, and I would guess college boards, you were erasing something in the wrong section. So it would appear to them that you were working in the wrong section. Unfortunately it is very unlikely they will take your word that it was a genuine error. </p>

<p>Hopefully, as cortana said, they will allow a free retake</p>

<p>Are you a senior? If so, that really sucks. If you're a junior then it's not that bad at all. And colleges won't see that you "cheated" your score is simply cancelled.</p>