Sure, I don’t see any harm in a national ID card, or some way of linking ID to state drivers licenses. This would not be something new… plenty of countries require either a national ID card, or some other form of national citizenship ID (passport, etc.). We need to stop conflating Nazi germany with countries simply trying to keep track of people within their borders… it’s ridiculous hyperbole.
I actually agree with you that what these ICE agents did was wrong (at least based on everything the media has reported so far), and they should be disciplined appropriately. With that being said, I think it’s important to point out that these ICE agents were acting out of line, and not following official policy. We should not assume that all ICE agents act this way because that is simply untrue.
As far as I know, ICE agents are only permitted to detain or ask for identification if there is probable cause. And the probable cause would need to be strong enough hold up in court, so it can’t be something like “yeah, his skin was brown…”
https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2017/10074-2.pdf
If you can find any official document (news article doesn’t count) that suggests ICE agents can detain someone and/or request proof of citizenship without probable cause, I’d be interested in seeing it.