I happened catch the interview with Dr. Arturo Casadevall, MD on Dr.Radio – hosted by NYU Langone Medical Center….His point…convalescent plasma is an effective, low cost and very low risk treatment for early covid. We gave up on it to early and for the wrong reasons.
DR. CASADEVALL CHAIR, MOLECULAR MICROBIOLOGY & IMMUNOLOGY- JHU
BLOOMBERG DISTINGUISHED PROFESSOR
ALFRED & JILL SOMMER PROFESSOR AND CHAIR PROFESSOR
The condensed version
- Covid is TWO diseases. A. the viral infection – which the vast majority of people clear and are fine. B. The runaway inflammatory response some people get to the viral infection. Those are the ones who wind up in the hospital.
- We are currently sending people home to ‘wait until it gets bad’ and telling them to come back when they re already in the runaway inflammatory process.
- Original data on convalescent plasma showed it to be ineffective
BUT… As for why some clinical trials found no benefit for plasma use, the researchers note in their paper that many of the clinical trials with negative results had used plasma—mainly considered an antiviral treatment—relatively late in the course of COVID-19, when patients may have been too ill to benefit, and when the disease is driven mainly by immune-related responses rather than the coronavirus itself.
- There is data to support the use of convalescent plasma early in the disease process.
- He spoke of an independent network of doctors and researchers who are pushing for the use of CP as an early and successful intervention
- CP is cheap and plentiful it’s walking all around us
- There is no identified downside to using CP