Interested in International Relations/Business

<p>I am a simple Asian guy with a passion for foreign language. I would like to see it used throughout the rest of my life, perhaps in an IR or International Business setting. My current list of colleges hold a pretty dangerous amount of reaches [about half (5 of them)], so I would like to ask some help as to some universities that offer generous financial aid through need and merit.</p>

<p>My stats are decent, I suppose:
-SAT: 2120 [690 CR, 680 M, 750 W]
-SAT II: 720 World Hist., 710 U.S. History, 770 Spanish, 570 Math [planning to re-take]
-Ranked 4 out of 298
-3.93 GPA UW
-plenty of leadership, two sports, 100+ hrs of comm. service</p>

<p>I am currently looking at:
-Brown
-Dartmouth
-Princeton
-Yale
-Stanford
-University of Chicago
-UC Berkeley
-University of Rochester
-UCLA
-University of Southern California
-UC San Diego
-UC Irvine</p>

<p>*Yes, I am a Californian. I would like to diversify my list so I have a more balanced list of colleges.</p>

<p>Thank you in advance :)</p>

<p>Lots of the LACs including the one most famous for languages--Middlebury--would meet your needs. I would say way too many high reaches here.</p>

<p>Yeah, I was thinking the same thing---too many reaches.</p>

<p>Definitely Middlebury. You may have a pretty good chance although an SAT of 1420 would be more comfortable. Macalaster is always mentioned as an LAC with a good international relations program and it would be slightly easier to get into. Amherst has some sort of unusual languages certificate through the consortium but it it's a reach. George Washington?</p>

<p>The</a> Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business</p>

<p>Not sure if you have the stats. It would be another reach.</p>

<p>I was looking at PennU also :))</p>

<p>I will be applying through the Questbridge program.</p>

<p>I also forgot to mention I've done plenty of AP's. AP Biology [5], AP World History [5], APUSH, AP Physics B, AP English Lang., AP Calc AB, AP Spanish Lang., AP European History, and AP Psychology.</p>

<p>Youu need to add matches and safeties, your scores are also not competitive for Penn.</p>

<p>@ Redroses: I already have discovered what is a reach for me. Thank you for reminding me. It won't hurt for me to try and show colleges that I am more than a test score.</p>

<p>Nonetheless, I am open and appreciative toward another suggestion alongside Middlebury.</p>

<p>Are you familiar with Questbridge by chance?</p>

<p>Gaginang, I was a high school counselor for over 20 years and had numerous Questbridge students. Those that did not choose realistically did not get matched.</p>

<p>You are an Asian student, which puts you in an ultra competitive pool, with scores well below median for most of your schools. Unfortunately, with acceptance rates mostly under 15% and so many qualified students, the ivies want at least median scores from even low income students in your pool. </p>

<p>It never hurts to try some reaches but your list is almost all reaches. Middlebury level schools are a reach. The danger is that you won't put the necessary effort into schools that are more realistic reaches and not get into the best school you can. This is what I have seen too often.</p>

<p>Inside</a> the Ivory Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Undergraduate programs</p>

<p>Rank School Percent </p>

<p>1 Harvard University 21
2 Princeton University 16
3 Yale University 12
4 Stanford University 12
5 Georgetown University 12
6 Columbia University 11
7 University of Chicago 7
8 Dartmouth College 5
9 University of California, Berkeley 4
10 Tufts University 3
10 University of Michigan 3
12 Duke University 3
13 Williams College 2
13 Cornell University 2
13 Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2
16 Swarthmore College 2
17 Johns Hopkins University 2
17 American University 2
19 University of California, San Diego 2
19 Brown University 2</p>

<p>Based on the above IR rankings and your SAT's/grades, add Georgetown, Tufts and Johns Hopkins to your list.</p>

<p>Because of your relatively high GPA, you are probably in at the UC schools.</p>

<p>====</p>

<p>Redroses, #9 of yours is truly excellent</p>

<p>@ Redroses: May I assume that by "[my pool]" you include not only my being a low-income student, but also as an Asian, in terms of my "scores well below median"? I've tried researching on CollegeBoard and universities' sites where it would appear that I barely meet a lower threshold in terms of my SAT score, but in many others I do reach the median---please correct me if I am misreading or misunderstanding this information.</p>

<p>Is there something else that would clarify my strengths as an applicant? I believe I could be a very strong applicant. I have left out some small factors like my being a first-generation college student. I'm still unclear about being Thai as any distinction under this whole competitive, Asian bracket.</p>

<p>@JohnAdams12: I have heard that Johns Hopkins tends to be a little more stingy with their financial aid, and that they are NOT need-blind. Can you confirm this?</p>

<p>====
I would have believed that about the first half of my list were reaches, while the rest might have gone under match, with UC Irvine being a safety. Am I gravely underestimating the weight of the SAT score at these top universities?</p>

<p>If you're Asian don't aim for Berkeley. You'll be just another smart Asian there.</p>

<p>@ RML: I am still considering other schools, but Berkeley does have the Haas School of Business. It's a "good university" that is still at home for me, basically.</p>

<p>Haas is the 2nd or 3rd best undergraduate business school in the US, but it is full of Asians. Over 50% of the student body at Haas undergrad is Asian, making you just another one of them, should you get accepted and attend. </p>

<p>Berkeley or Haas is great, there is no question about that. But as an Asian, I think the college experience you'll get at an Ivy or at a "2nd tier" school like Duke, Chicago, NU, Michigan, JHU or UVa would be more special. There are just tooooooooooooooo many Asians at Berkeley, and personally, I think it's destroying Berkeley's supposedly more balanced college experience.</p>

<p>Aim for HYPSM and make USC or the like as your fallback school.</p>

<p>@ RML: Why would you believe that a race's majority would take away from the personality of people?</p>

<p>The ivies want, and get, it all. It's not about one thing compensating for another as it can be at other schools. At Ucs, for example, a high SAT can make up for a lower GPA given their formulas. Ivies must reject most kids who are well above median across the board, they simply don't have room.</p>

<p>Take a look at University of Bath for international business and Richmond University (in London). St. Andrews in Scotland is also popular with Americans, although I don't know about their business major. Studying overseas is a great way to enhance your international credentials.</p>

<p>USC is becoming more and more selective. In the last U.S. News edition it was ranked 20th in selectivity among national research universities. That is not in the category of HYP, but it is not a fallback school, particularly in certain highly competitive majors.</p>

<p>Gerogia Girl, how true...</p>

<p>It is getting tougher and tougher for USC to be looked at as a "safety" school.</p>

<p>All that football money was well spent in the last 30 years on facilities and quality professors.</p>