International standards for Ivy leagues

<p>What are they generally? A lot higher than Americans?.. For example, SAT scores..</p>

<p>I'd actually say they'd be lower, depending on the country and type of school you go to.......if you go to some public school in a small town in a 3rd world country, you'd probably have lower standards, because you wont really be expected to have insane ECs.....Penn's website clearly says this. "We realize that patterns for extracurricular involvement vary from country to country"</p>

<p>What about the standards for standardized tests ?</p>

<p>Depends which country you're from.</p>

<p>varies from country to country.....if you're from UK, then higher standards for critical reading and writing.......not so much from somalia</p>

<p>oh okay thanks
do admissions compare internationals with internationals?
I'm Korean.. and I'm guessing SAT scores would be a lot higher with Koreans.. although not completely sure</p>

<p>I was wondering about that too. I'm pretty sure all colleges compare internationals with internationals, which makes competition even more fierce.</p>

<p>i agree that standards for internationals are hugely dependent on the country</p>

<p>i think ivies want diversity in their international student population....and given the difference in education systems and resources in different countries, grades are not necessarily a very accurate indicator of potential</p>

<p>they'll probably wanna take in some from each country, so you'll not only be compared with other internationals, but more specifically with those from your own country....if u'e in somalia where the median score for SATs is like 1700 (wild guess), a 2100 would probably give you a huge edge (or perhaps the sheer lack of competition will get you a foot at the door)....whereas if u're from say Singapore or Korea where lots of ppl with insane SAT scores apply, you probably wouldnt stand out even with a 2200 w/o ECs</p>

<p>In one word - crapshoot!</p>

<p>Your SAT score doesn't depend on your country, but on the applicants from your country. India is a 3rd world country and it's national language isn't english. Despite that, more people with 2300+ SATs apply to top schools than the number who are accepted.</p>

<p>Yeah , there must be some kind of standards for international students , for example as a Lebanese living in Dubai, the opportunities we get such as internships, community service are extremley rare... so how are we to compete with the kids from the US and Europe. I guess us internationals compete with each other.</p>

<p>@ gouchicago: more like 2nd world.</p>

<p>Wait - I thought English is the official language of India along with Hindi? And don't some schools teach in English? I have a few Indian friends who went to English-speaking high schools anyway...</p>

<p>^ India is third world; Google it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Wait - I thought English is the official language of India along with Hindi? And don't some schools teach in English? I have a few Indian friends who went to English-speaking high schools anyway...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Although India is set to become the worlds largest English speaking country in the world, the official language remains Hindi. Some schools do teach English, but the overall strength of the applicant pool boils down to the individuals rather than to the geographical region they belong to.</p>

<p>@ gouchicago
Is not India's official language English ?and Hindi being one among the many national languages? Are you really sure that a language not spoken throughout India is the official language?</p>

<p>
[quote]
The following Order made by the President is published for general information-New Delhi, the 27th April, 1960</p>

<p>c) English should be the principal official language and Hindi the subsidiary Official Language till 1965. After 1965, when Hindi becomes the principal official language of the Union, English should continue as the subsidiary official language.</p>

<p>d) No restriction should be imposed for the present on the use of English for any of the purposes of the Union and provision should be made in terms of clause (3) of article 343 for the continued use of English even after 1965 for purposes to be specified by Parliament by law for as long as may be necessary.

[/quote]

[url=<a href="http://www.rajbhasha.gov.in/preseng.htm%5DDOL%5B/url"&gt;http://www.rajbhasha.gov.in/preseng.htm]DOL[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>
[quote]
@ gouchicago
Is not India's official language English ?and Hindi being one among the many national languages? Are you really sure that a language not spoken throughout India is the official language?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Hindi and English are the Official languages and Hindi is the National language.</p>

<p>^ probably stems from the fact that written Hindi is extremely hard to discern....they just look like a mesh of curvy lines to me =)</p>

<p>gou:
the cities in India are more like 1st world, but the rural areas aren't so good. I've been there and I've seen the sights. 1st and 3rd make up 2nd world on average.</p>