Is a 7 out of 8 on the NEW Sat Essay a great score? Will it add "Sugar" to my horrible SAT score?

I received my SAT scores today. I received a score of 7 on each of the graded sections of the essay, which is Writing, Reading, and Analysis.

I did NOT write an intro or conclusion AT ALL on my essay. I think that may have prevented me from getting an 8. As a result, I have learned from my mistake and I will write an intro and conclusion on my next SAT.

Sadly, I did get a 1040 on the SAT. I had a 600 on the reading section and a 440 on the math section. I will try to retake the SAT, but first, I’m going to harness my reading/math skills over the summer.

Let’s just say I don’t increase my SAT score. A 1040 is obviously 40 points above the national average, but I’m trying to get into a college that has an average SAT score of a 1130. Obviously I will need to up my SAT score. However, do you think my SAT Essay score will prove to that college that I’m a smart student? I’m just a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE test taker. But I do have a decent GPA. I feel like it’s unfair for colleges to judge a student on his or her SAT score, quite frankly.

I mean, I doubt one essay score is the difference between an acceptance and a rejection. Most colleges probably don’t even look at it. They have enough to read. It will either help you an infinitesimal amount or have no impact at all.

I strongly recommend the ACT over the SAT if you’re historically “not a good test taker.” It seems more intuitive and easier to score better on. Definitely take the summer to do test prep, but consider the ACT in addition to, or instead of, retaking the SAT. You may find you do better.

(But in answer to your question: the general impression seems to be that schools requiring a writing test want to make sure you can compose a sentence. High scores don’t seem to count for much, while low scores are overlooked if everything else is favorable. So is it good you did well on it? Sure. But it’s not going to overcome that composite in the eyes of the admission committee. Sorry.)

There are test optional colleges just for students like you.

Also use the Khan Academy for free methods to study your SAT Math.