Is calso necessary for signing up for classes?

<p>I don’t wanna pay the $185. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>No; but you will sign up for classes after ALL the CalSO events are held; meaning that you will be last to pick classes.</p>

<p>If you don't mind not having some of the classes you would like to take, then you don't have to go to CalSO. The event, however, is meant for you to be acclamated with advising, Berkeley, and requirements; it is not mandatory however.</p>

<p>You will be at a severe disadvantage if you don't. Upper classmen get to choose their courses first, then through CalSO the incoming freshmen chooses. Finally, those who did not participate in CalSO get to choose their courses. By that time, you probably <em>won't</em> get all courses you intended to take.</p>

<p>yeah, whatever the first two dudes said lol</p>

<p>185$? I think I only payed like 90$. </p>

<p>I am going so that, like the others have mentioned, I won't get screwed out of the courses I need (or, equally bad, I won't end up with night classes or something!) Plus, since i've never been there, it'd be nice to feel a little bit acquainted with the campus before arriving in Fall, and as an out-of-stater I would like to familiarize myself with the area to see where i'd like to live. </p>

<p>So, whether it is "worth it" depends on the individual. To me it seems to be worth the trip. </p>

<p>:)
-A</p>

<p>^ it's $185 for freshmen as they get to stay overnight. suckers.</p>

<p>i have to come back early from my overseas vacation just to attend the overpriced calSO, and to register in time to get the classes I need. The UC's are milking money from us</p>

<p>ooooh... that IS steep! :( I might forego it if I were a freshman, to be honest. At that point you have SO MANY classes you need to take that you are unlikely to have ALL of the classes you want filled up, i'm sure you'd find something. Transfers are a little more limited since we don't need a lot of the lower level classes, our selection is smaller. </p>

<p>-A</p>

<p>The $185 is included in our tutition I think under "Tuition and Fees"; it gets billed to your CARS account so student loans can take care of that one as well as scholarships/grants from the universities.</p>

<p>I guess if you're getting a full ride, then who cares... but if you are taking out any loans you are still spending YOUR MONEY! </p>

<p>-A</p>

<p>Chemeng1: Actually, if you're taking out subsidized loans, you're making money. For example, say you have a total of $5000 in subsidized loans and you have $5000; you put that $5000 in a CD with an interest rate of 2 or 3%; the $5000 will gather interest. Meanwhile, you have another $5000 from the loans with no interest while you're in school. You've made a profit on interest; mind you, not a large profit, but it is still more than the $5000</p>

<p>Good point. Unfortunately, not everyone gets a good deal of subsidized loans. I got the Cal Bears scholarship, a small amt of subsidized and unsubsidized, and I still need to get a sig loan. For me, every penny counts. </p>

<p>-A</p>

<p>do you get taxed if you take the loan and have some money left by the end of the year? then it would lower a little your financial aid accordingly for next year</p>

<p>No, you don't get taxed if you take the loan and have some money left by the end of the year; that money automatically is refunded to the federal government by Berkeley. However, most of the time, your loans will be first used to credit your CARS balance so most of the time, the loans should be used up and you'll end up with spare cash if you didn't need all the loans. This spare cash is not taxable.</p>

<p>so if i loan, CARS uses up the loan first and then the scholarships/grants?</p>

<p>how would i take the leftover amounts of cash from scholarships/grants at the end of the year?</p>

<p>Well, actually, if scholarships/grants are involved, they will first be credited to your account; you can NEVER take these scholarships and grants out for your personal use; they are strictly for tutition, fees, cost of living purposes only; any unsused amount will be returned back to the university; you cannot takes these scholarships/grants out and use them for personal expenses.</p>

<p>Any unsused loan amount will be returned to the federal government and that amount will be deducted from the amount you owe.</p>

<p>By scholarships and grants, I mean those given by the university. Cash scholarships given to you are a different matter.</p>

<p>Dont they give refunds to you? I mean, isnt that why I just set up Electronic Funds transfer?</p>

<p>I dont live in the US, so i really cant make it to CalSo. Thats unfair, because i get to pick classes last only because i live far away. Is there any way around this?
From what I heard, people get there Telebears appointments at CalSo, and people who dont attend get theirs mailed to them.</p>

<p>Refunds are set up only after you personally have paid from out-of-pocket; for example, you paid $9000 the first semester right off the bat, but in the end, total expenses and tutiton came out to be $8500; you would get a $500 discount.</p>

<p>I, however, stand to be corrected.</p>

<p>Actually, if you cant attend CalSo, give an online reply stating why you cant come, and they'll know that you need your stuff mailed to you. The sooner you do it the better.... at the my berkeley app page.</p>