Is getting into JHU worth giving up my life?

<p>I have a very low gpa (due to family problems) so now I am trying to make it up by taking hard classes and doing EC's and getting a job. However I am finally at a point in my life were I'm kinda happy and have good friends and a girlfriend. So if I do this stuff I will hace to give up alot of free time.</p>

<p>Is it really worth it?</p>

<p>Short answer. Probably.</p>

<p>Somewhat longer answer -- if you are capable of doing the work, you should be taking hard classes and doing ECs, even if you had a very high GPA. If, on the other hand you are not capable of doing well in the hard classes, you should take classes that suit your ability.</p>

<p>Your friends and girlfriend will understand that you are working for your future. And if they don't -- it's their loss.</p>

<p>Let me suggest to you that a girlfriend should have zero bearing when making college decisions.</p>

<p>You will (should) have 100 girlfriends before you marry.</p>

<p>High school girlfriends (and boyfriends) should be jettisoned when going off to college.</p>

<p>You will wind up breaking up anyway.</p>

<p>Having a girlfriend will impede your integration into your new college.</p>

<p>While the other guys will be going to parties chasing girls, you will be off visiting your girlfriend on the weekend.</p>

<p>I know this is not what you want to hear.</p>

<p>My son loved JHU when he saw it. If you want to go there, and do well there, you must concentrate on your studies. </p>

<p>There are plenty of fish in the sea.</p>

<p>Also, your high school friends will gradually fade away once you all go off to different colleges.</p>

<p>This is not to say that you should do nothing but study, but that should be your main pre-occupation.</p>

<p>Is it good to talke hard classes and do ecs? Yes. Is it worth "giving up your life"? I would say no. Do things that interest you, not just things you think will look good. Then it ISN'T "giving up your life". Plus you'll also be more passionate about those things.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>It's high school......</p>

<p>That's all I have to say.</p>

<p>Amen to Floridadad's post.</p>

<p>I think you should do what you want. Ultimately you will be helping your future. Don't listen to others saying that your girlfriend is of zero importance. My parents dated in high school and are happily married. I know that that has happened for Manu individuals. Don't base your life on her but still be with we and treat her with respect.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, your high school friends will gradually fade away once you all go off to different colleges.</p>

<p>This is not to say that you should do nothing but study, but that should be your main pre-occupation.

[/quote]

Umm I don't want to turn into one of those people. I've been friends with my best friend for life and no matter what happens we always soem how end up together. I want to have some fun in life not just all work...</p>

<p>doing all the hard classes, extracurriculars, and getting a job doesn't mean you have to give up your life. it only means you'll have to do some adjustments and work a little harder, but it's not impossible. and your girlfriend and friends (as zephyr15 said) would understand you are working for your future :)</p>

<p>[post=13018398]This would be my schedule[/post]</p>

<p>You want to push and stretch yourself because that's how you make yourself the best person you can be. Working hard now will make college easier, because you'll have developed good study habits and time management skills. You'll need to balance time for fun and socializing with studying when you're in college, too. </p>

<p>Doing this to get into one specific school sounds motivating, but it's not the right reason. If you put in the work and effort and you don't get into JHU, then there is still benefit to having taken on a tough schedule. </p>

<p>Decades after my own high school graduation, I'm still friends with many of my high school friends. :)</p>

<p>floridadad's post sounds, to me, like a giant fallacy. I wouldn't say a single one of those facts is as guaranteed as he makes it sound. Good friendships, made in high school or not, should be nurtured if you care about them. An example of that working out is my dad... he meets with his high school buddies all the time and does fantasy football with them and all that fun stuff. A good, sane, loving girlfriend is hard to find. Having 100 significant others is just stupid.. quantity over quality.</p>

<p>With that being said, if you want to go to JHU you gotta work. You have to take the hardest classes and be the best and do the most, you really do. The admissions process is brutal, humbling, frustrating, senseless, and justified all at the same time. Play the game and you'll reap the rewards.</p>

<p>I also don't know why people think they have to give up their life to do well in school. I had a tough schedule and I was involved in a ton of stuff and I still had hours and hours of time to bum it and hang out with my friends without being crazy stressed. Just do your job and you'll be good.</p>

<p>Amen to Floridadad's post</p>

<p>Yes, that dude really knows how to write single sentence paragraphs.</p>

<p>I would only have weekends free...idk if I could do that</p>

<p>I think the big learning here is to keep the balance in your life: work hard but make time for friends and family. Since no one here knows how hard you would have to work to get into JHU, I'd suggest that you set some goals academically and socially, and then see where you end up when it's time to apply. JHU may or may not be a realistic goal - but a healthy, balanced life surely is.</p>

<p>I don't see any balence choice at this point. It is either all or nothing</p>

<p>You yourself said only "weekends free". Hunh? Do you expect to be hanging out w/friends and g/f 2-3 times during the week?</p>

<p>Already you stated that you have a "low GPA". Well it's time to get mature here. JHU is off the table unless you attack your GPA. Are you going to be a Junior? Senior? That means your goal is to get a 4.0 from here on out. It's time to be realistic about what that takes. "only having the weekends free"? Like you're entitled to get a 4.0GPA and not work hard during the week?</p>

<p>Choices have consequences, grasshopper. Buckle down or remove any thoughts of JHU and instead focus on local public college.</p>

<p>* I really want to get into JHU BME or at least geta full ride to state University. So do you think this is possible? *</p>

<p>From another thread.. ^</p>

<p>Are you a rising junior? What is your current GPA?</p>

<p>Is it even possible for you to raise your GPA enough...even if you get straight A's?</p>

<p>What state are you in that your state U would give you a "free ride" with better grades? What GPA is needed for that?</p>

<p>What are your test scores? What is your PSAT?</p>

<p>I'm concerned that your 2 years of bad grades has resulted in a GPA that will be hard to improve cum-wise. Keep in mind that college acceptance will occur BEFORE you have a full year's worth of senior year grades.</p>

<p>@T64E4 If I was aiming for that I would just relax and do nothing cause I already meet the auto accept standards. </p>

<p>@moms2college Junior, 2.9, yes...well idk it would come up to 3.14.</p>

<p>Oklahoma. And not for better grades but for test scores. Haven't taken PSAT yet still studying for it so I can at least get NMSF. and yes i know... :/</p>

<p>not really, you can just go there for grad school if you already messed up in highschool. fresh start in college new grades and everything. Just go where ever you want when you get out of high school, still work hard though! There are a lot of people that get denied to JHU so dont put too much effort into it. Try to balance your time with school and social life.</p>