Is selling plasma safe?

<p>My daughter can't find any work at all, and just asked about selling plasma.</p>

<p>Are there any risks here? Is it safe?</p>

<p>It is safe as long as she is fit for it physically (which, I am sure, will be checked).</p>

<p>There are risks associated with getting out of bed in the morning so yes there are risks, however reputable donor centers must follow strict FDA guidelines for tissue/blood donation. The machines are very safe and she will be screened first to make sure her plasma is not contaminated with a viral transmissible infection (HIV, Hep B & C, West Nile, HTLV, Syphilis) and they will make sure that she is not anemic and that she weighs enough to make the donation procedure safe for her.</p>

<p>Tell her to drink plenty of fluids before each donation because they will "poke" several times if they have trouble getting to a vein. Repeated attempts increases the chance of bruising. Bruising in both arms will result in being turned down for donating until bruising disappears.</p>

<p>How much does this sell for? I'm O-.</p>

<p>The most desired plasma is from a donor with AB blood. </p>

<p>Some donor centers will not take plasma from females because some data show a greater risk of lung inflammation in the recipient of female donated plasma because female donated plasma can have higher levels of antibodies especially if the female has had multiple pregnancies.</p>

<p>Years ago I knew someone in a severe financial crisis. He decided to sell plasma just to get a few extra bucks. He said the actual process was fine and not really a problem. However, the facility he went to was frequently full of people - a lot of whom were really down and out, desperate, jobless, etc. He said the plasma part was fine, but the environment was rather depressing. I think he stopped going after only a couple of times.</p>

<p>Plasma center here is very busy due to high unemployment in a city dominated by auto industry unemployment. Donors are young and old, in flipflops and business suits. I've never heard that female plasma is undesirable. A donor here can earn $60 for 2 successful donations per week. An attempted but unsuccessful donation earns $20 (this is when you needle is inserted but for some reason donation is not completed). There is no compensation if a donor goes to the donation center and is turned down because of unacceptable BP or high body temperature or bruising on both arms.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The most desired plasma is from a donor with AB blood.

[/quote]
Why is that so? I don't know much about biology.</p>

<p>Selling plasma is safe. It's <em>buying</em> plasma that can be risky. Because many plasma centers' regular sellers are often derelicts with substance abuse problems, which leads to increased risk of blood-born pathogens being present in the blood they sell. It's not a random coincidence that plasma centers are usually located near skid row.</p>

<p>If your daughter is young, healthy and not into drugs (and I presume she is), she would likely provide plasma that the center would love to get - good quality from a healthy person and low risk of transmitting disease.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Partly because it's the rarest and partly because it will contain the fewest antibodies that will adversely react against cells of a different major blood type. Type A plasma will react against type B and type AB cells. Type B will react against Type A and Type AB cells. Type O plasma will react against all three: A, B and AB. And type AB will react against none of the others.</p>

<p>It has to do with differences between the sugars attached to the proteins on the red blood cell surface and which ones the body will see as "foreign". AB plasma sees none of the other ABO-type cells as foreign, and O plasma sees them all as foreign. </p>

<p>I can explain it in a lot more detail if you like, but that is the general concept.</p>

<p>So basically the reverse donor/recipients for RBCs?</p>

<p>A few summers back I knew a teenager that was visiting here from Europe and wanted to make some extra $, so decided to sell plasma. This is anecdotal only, I understand it, but when he first started his complexion was perfect, no blemishes etc, when he was heading back home four months later he was full of zits, lost weight, did not look healthy.
I don't know, maybe there were other reasons for this drastic change in his appearance, but to me at that time it looked like plasma donation did not serve him well :(</p>

<p>^^^Is crystal meth a problem in Europe, too?(explains complexion problem and money problem)^^</p>

<p>There are two plasma donation centers near me. One is right across the street from the university, but I have never seen anyone who even resembles a university student on the property. It is truly the "lowest of the low" in our city. They even have an armed security guard patroling the property.</p>

<p>If your D really wants to do it, go with her the first time to check the place out and make sure they are following safe procedures.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the feedback. I will go with her the first time, and even though we're in a college town I don't know who the majority of donors are. My D hates needles and is really desperate for income (for upcoming study abroad) if she's considering this!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Excuse me ?</p>

<p>coureur, What you say about AB types is interesting. Is that why AB's can receive blood from anyone, A's, B's, O's not just from AB's?</p>

<p>Kelowna, I don't think donating marrow could possibly cause skin problems and weight loss. This can:</p>

<p>Faces</a> of Meth | Meth Photos</p>

<p>^^read again what I wrote ;)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Correct. The cells are the reverse of the plasma. The immune system of people who are type AB will not not see A, B, AB, or O cells as foreign, and the immune system of a type O person will see all three: A, B, and AB (but not O) as foreign.</p>

<p>So that's the reason behind the over-simplified saying that type O is the universal blood donor and type AB is the universal recipient. </p>

<p>Of course it's a lot more complicated than that. The Rh factors must also match for example. And there are dozens of minor blood types in addition to the major ABO+/- system, some with strange names - examples: Kell, Duffy, Lutheran, etc. They usually don't have to all be matched though. It's an ABO mismatch that can kill you in a transfusion gone wrong.</p>