<p>The minimum GPA for our area schools to participate in athletics is 2.00. This is too low; It is a privileged to play HS sports, play in band, or join a club. What do you parents think?</p>
<p>I don’t think there should be any minimum.</p>
<p>These activities are positive experiences, and I don’t think that participating should be limited to students who are doing well academically.</p>
<p>I realize that many people disagree.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>It does seem that the 2.00 specified by the OP is equivalent to “not in danger of flunking out” (unless the school’s threshold for that is lower, like 1.00). “Not in danger of flunking out” is the effective minimum anyway – a student who flunks out of school is not going to be joining any school activities.</p>
<p>Our minimum for sports is 2.0 and passing 5 classes. How hard can that be!? I think - but each year there are guys on D’s baseball team sitting out half the season because they didn’t make grades. Band is a graded class and marching, pep band and festivals are required for points, so no option to sit out there even if kids did want to.</p>
<p>I think that if you can’t manage to make grades then maybe you’ve got more important uses for the 4 hours after school than be at a practice or game.</p>
<p>In our district band is a class, so there is no minimum GPA. I haven’t heard of one for clubs either. There are some academic eligibility rules for sports because they take up so much time. I’m not sure what they are, I think maybe if you are failing a class you can’t participate until you bring up the grade.</p>
<p>If you fail two classes, you have to sit out activities (clubs and sports) the next quarterr. As far as I know the clubs have no minimum GPA but sports might be different.</p>
<p>Local rules require at least a 2.0 and passing over half your classes to play a sport. However, the rule in our house is much higher than a 2.0 … Luckily, we haven’t had to enforce that one.</p>
<p>For sports, if you’re failing, you cannot participate until you are no longer failing. Usually it involves correspondance with the coach and teacher to discuss when the athlete may return, and a lot of meetings with the athlete and teacher. The only sport in the school that ever has a problem with this is football, and the coach is the dean of students and has even stricter requirements since there are many players on that team that are content with straight D’s. </p>
<p>All of the teams I have been involved with have had some of the smartest students on them. Out of the top 20 ranked students, 18 of them are athletes. I think activities are a great way to keep kids actually focused on their schoolwork, and I don’t think having a low minimum GPA is a problem.</p>
<p>I think it’s not failing any classes, and that goes for any EC. There’s a list posted at the office with the ineligible students numbers. There have been a few plays where a lead character was not allowed in a big performance.</p>
<p>I think it is 2.0 and it is determined by the state or the academic/sports league the school is assigned to. The school may set higher standards and /or impose additional requirements.</p>
<p>I don’t think my high school had any official rule when I was playing, but we were required to show our report cards to our coach and anything less than a 3.0 got us in trouble. Any Ds also meant big trouble. I don’t remember what the consequences were as no one on my team ever got that low.</p>
<p>For theater, our actors were required to show the directors their report cards. I never had to do that so I have no idea what the standards were. I do know that a few actors were kicked out of shows for failing grades but I do not know specifics.</p>
<p>Clubs: no minimums.</p>
<p>ETA: Here’s my district’s policy: “Before an athlete may participate in any interscholastic contest, he/she must have successfully completed two credit hours the previous semester. In addition, he/she must also be doing passing work in two credit hours of regular class work during the present semester.”</p>
<p>Our school system requires a 2.0 to participate in sports. I don’t know if there is a req. for band. Would be surprised it there was. There’s no req. for clubs except honor societies.</p>
<p>I think that there needs to be a minimum! For one thing, people shouldn’t be failing because of their ECs. Also, if people need a punishment if they really are failing. There really shouldn’t be any excuses for that.</p>
<p>For my high school, you must have above a 1.5 GPA & not failing two or more classes. Sadly, our point-guard hadn’t been able to maintain either one until this year. However, the running joke on our team is asking him how it felt to play in his first second semester game ever.</p>
<p>2.5 and no F’s in any class</p>
<p>In Texas: quoted from UIL website:
No Pass, No Play
Students must be eligible under no-pass, no-play. Extracurricular activities include public performances, contests, demonstrations, displays and club activities. An activity would be considered extracurricular if:
the activity is competitive;
the activity is held in conjunction with another activity that is considered extracurricular;
the general public is invited;
an admission price is charged.
Exception: If a student is enrolled in a state-approved course in which he or she must demonstrate mastery of the essential knowledge and skills in a public performance, then he or she may participate so long as the activity is not competitive, it is not held in conjunction with another activity that is competitive, and an admission price is not charged.</p>
<p>For example, a theatre student may participate in a non-competitive, free presentation of a one-act play in which the public is invited to attend.
Basics of No Pass, No Play
Must be passing all courses (except identified advanced classes).
Students lose eligibility for a three-week period, which is defined as 15 class days. Exception: one but only one of the three school weeks may consist of only three or four class days, provided the school has been dismissed for a scheduled holiday period. Two class days does not constitute a school week. Exception: Thanksgiving if schools are on holiday Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
School week begins at 12:01 a.m. on the first instructional day of the calendar week and ends at the close of instruction on the last instructional day of the calendar week (excluding holidays).
Ineligible students must wait seven (7) calendar days after a three-week evaluation period and the grading period to regain eligibility.
Students may regain eligibility an unlimited number of times throughout the school year. Passing means a minimum grade of 70 on all courses (except identified advanced classes).
Note: Spring break can’t be part of the 3-week evaluation process. All students are eligible during spring break.</p>
<p>Remember that there is no D. You must have at least a 70% to qualify. 2.0.</p>
<p>Sports is 2.0
NHS is a 3.5 unweighted
all other ECs no minimum and band is a class so no minimum.</p>
<p>Sports is 2.0 with no "F"s in the previous or present marking period. </p>
<p>I’m honestly not sure whether or not that also applies to other EC’s and clubs. </p>
<p>NHS requires a 3.4 plus letters of rec, and service hours.</p>
<p>Our state has an activities association that governs sports and also several non-athletic activities. Non-athletic activities include debate, forensics, band, orchestra, choir, scholars bowl, student council, cheer and dance teams.</p>
<p>Some of these are classes - and students can still take a class, but not participate in competitions or district events. For example, a student can take choir but not compete in any district choir competitions.</p>
<p>Students have to be “in good academic standing” according to the definition of their individual school (usually 2.0 min). They also have to pass 5 new courses in the previous semester (so repeating a class that was failed doesn’t count) and be enrolled in 5 new courses.</p>
<p>GPA doesn’t matter if you are in concert band, choir, etc. at our school but if you want to be in jazz band, marching band or any “extras” you have to have a 2.5 minimum. It generally isn’t an issue for band though. Most kids that get less than a 2.5 in our school aren’t interested in the extra offerings in music.</p>
<p>NHS is 3.75 and up with leadership/volunteer work, by invite only and 3 LOR from teachers/coaches</p>