Is this the change Obama wants to bring?

<p>"*n the list of earmarks he requested, $1 Million was requested for the construction of a new hospital pavilion at the University Of Chicago. The request was put in in 2006. </p>

<p>You know who works for the University of Chicago Hospital? </p>

<p>Michelle Obama. She's vice president of community affairs. </p>

<p>As Byron noted, "In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office." </p>

<p>Looks like that raise was worth it."</p>

<p>oh lax, 300-grand is NOTHING for a CEO-type position with a Harvard Law degree....</p>

<p>I'm not questioning the pay, just the massive increase after her husband got elected to the US senate. It's probably just a coincidence though right?</p>

<p>better than a "bridge to nowhere" sponsered by a Republican senator from Alaska, don't 'cha think?</p>

<p>I think they're both equally distguisting</p>

<p>Oh really? A hospital on the south side of Chicago is going to serve thousands more people than an unecessary bridge to an island where few live. [and try using spell check next time]</p>

<p>"better than a "bridge to nowhere" sponsered by a Republican senator from Alaska, don't 'cha think?"</p>

<p>Of course there is a signifant difference. The "bridge to nowhere" is always brought up by the Republican nominee as a prime example of pork barrel spending gone wild. On the other hand, the hospital grant/HUGE salary increase is directly related to the potential Dem nominee.</p>

<p>And, Katliamom, Michelle Obama is NOT the CEO or anything close, she is a vice-president of community affairs, whatever that means. Maybe she coordinates school tours or something.</p>

<p>
[quote]
unecessary

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Maybe you should spell check as well. </p>

<p>
[quote]
A hospital on the south side of Chicago is going to serve thousands more people

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That isn't the point in question. What I find odd is how come Michelle Obama got a HUGE raise right after her husband became Senator. But I'm sure it's just a coincidence right?</p>

<p>Community affairs? That's your standard diversicrat position, right?</p>

<p>If Obama can be bought for $200 grand, he's a lot stupider than I took him for.</p>

<p>I have no idea why this raise occurred, if it did occur. She may have savvily negotiated a raise or taken on more responsibility. But suppose the timing is not coincidental. We're talking about a private, not-for-profit organization, and Michelle worked in community relations. Barack being elected to the senate made her quite famous and visible in the South Side community. Famous, visible people are more valuable to a community relations project than non-famous, low-profile people. It's not surprising that employees who become more valuable might get raises.</p>

<p>It's also not surprising that after his wife was given a $200,000 raise the hospital received $1 million in government funds from Senator Obama.</p>

<p>Good detective work, Lax!</p>

<p>Did you read the "Obama and Me" article I posted the other day?
Obama is no great phenomenon - he's a "politician" like all the rest; but since he's more of an "empty slate" at this point, everyone is projecting just what they want to see - onto him. </p>

<p>He isn't even dry behind the ears - he needs to go home and work a few more years in the Senate and then maybe, just maybe he'll see how unprepared he really is for the job of POTUS. </p>

<p>I submit that the main reason he's gotten where he is today is just because even the dems want an alternative - ANY alternative to Hillary!</p>

<p>YouTube</a> - [PRES] McCain: Man In The Arena</p>

<p>Saw this and thought of you bz</p>

<p>I'm sorry but what does his wife's raise have to do with Obama? Let me guess you don't like him.Thats probably the only reason you posted this.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm sorry but what does his wife's raise have to do with Obama? Let me guess you don't like him.Thats probably the only reason you posted this.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You really don't see what getting a $200,000 raise after your husband gets elected to office, and then him giving your workplace a $1 million contract has to do with anything? You don't think there's anything weird about his wife getting a huge raise and then her very workplace getting a huge sum of money from the government....thanks to her husband? </p>

<p>I'll make it a little simpler. It concerns Obama because he was "paying back" the hospital for giving his wife a raise. Much like when certain people donate huge sums of $ to a campaign and they all of a sudden get influence (lobbyists).</p>

<p>Let me guess, Obama can do no wrong in your eyes. He's the messiah. That's probably the only reason you defend this.</p>

<p>I am doubtful that there is any connection between the two but I would be interested in hearing why her salary more than doubled in one year. A salary of ~$317,000 for a VP of Community Affairs sounds very high, regardless of who her husband is. Did her job description change which would explain the big jump?</p>

<p>LaxAttack09, your bias is certainly showing.</p>

<p>You conveniently failed to note that the increase in Michelle Obama's salary was due to a significant promotion and expansion of duties. In 2002, she became the University of Chicago Hospitals' Executive Director for Community Affairs (after previously serving as the Associate Dean of Student Services at the university).</p>

<p>Three years later, she was appointed Vice President for Community and External Affairs and received a salary increase comparable to what other VPs at the hospital system are paid. She also took over management of the business diversity program.</p>

<p>So an extremely well-qualified woman got a promotion and a salary increase commensurate with her expanded duties. It was all done out in the open, so no news there. Why are you trying to imply otherwise?</p>

<p>Michelle</a> Obama appointed vice president for community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals - University of Chicago Medical Center</p>

<p>Unless you can show that she receives the same as anyone else in her situation I still find it suspicious that the order of events go: Michelle Makes 120k --> husband elected to senate --> michelle makes over 300k --> husband gives $1 million to michelles hospital.</p>

<p>
[quote]
received a salary increase comparable to what other VPs at the hospital system are paid.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You know this how? Please link.</p>

<p>
[quote]
So an extremely well-qualified woman got a promotion and a salary increase commensurate with her expanded duties.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>She only got this promotion AFTER her husband was elected to the US senate. Furthermore, after his election, the hospital got $1 million in government funds from the US senate. Pure coincidence though right?</p>

<p>so freakin what. what's wrong with it. it may be weird but theres nothing wrong with it.
And i'm just gettin tired of everyone trying some way to put Obama down. You don't see stuff like this about Hilary. And for your info I choose not to support either Democratic candidates.</p>

<p>
[quote]
so freakin what. what's wrong with it. it may be weird but theres nothing wrong with it.
And i'm just gettin tired of everyone trying some way to put Obama down. You don't see stuff like this about Hilary. And for your info I choose not to support either Democratic candidates.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's like saying "who cares if McCain cheated on his wife with 8 other women." It may be weird but there's nothing wrong with it.</p>

<p>It's unethical if you give money to a hospital in return for promotions for your wife. With Obama's rezko past I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking part in these kind of "favors."</p>

<p>Some people don't want to believe that Obama can do wrong though. They don't want to believe that he might be like every other politician, that he's not different, and that his "change" is just rhetoric to a cult-like, blank-staring, blindly following electorate.</p>