Is UPitt generous with merit aid?

<p>I'm a white male from NY, if it matters, with a 35 ACT and 97.7 GPA. My ECs are <em>decent</em> though. Does UPitt give good merit aid (hopefully for stats like mine) because I probably wont get much, if any, financial aid.</p>

<p>Search the boards and you feel find many posts about this topic. </p>

<p>It seems that the unofficial cut-off is SAT of 1400 to be considered for merit aid.</p>

<p>It also seems that the earlier you apply the more likely your chances are for merit aid.</p>

<p>With your stats you are definitely in line for full-tuition as long as you apply in a timely manner. They don't seem to care about ECs much if you have the numbers(speaking from personal experience..I was all #'s with no leadership, got full tuition).. make sure you write an essay even though it's not "required"</p>

<p>Yes, I agree with the above advice. And you're from New York, which, while not an "exotic" state like Hawaii, is desirable from Pitt's point of view, from what I've observed. Best of luck!</p>

<p>What are you planning to study?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I am currently undecided.. is it bad to go in undecided (for any reason will I get less aid.. dumb question probably)?</p>

<p>I am <em>thinking</em> about physical anthropology, chemistry, math, or materials science/engineering</p>

<p>Engineering will usually give additional scholarship money (which can be stacked with the full tuition scholarship). Of course, if you change your major -- you will lose the engineering scholarship.</p>

<p>Just remember -- full tuition is NOT GUARANTEED even though you have very high stats. There have been cases where students did not get anything even though they had very high stats. It depends upon what Pitt is looking for and the quality of applicants -- APPLY EARLY!!</p>

<p>By the way, for Pitt's merit aid, it's not all-or-nothing. There is a lower tier of merit aid that awards $10,000 for OOS students. This essentially brings down the OOS tuitition to that of in-state tuition. This still requires some decent stats, generally in excess of 1400 for CR/M portions of the SAT along with commensurate GPA and/or class ranking. (The stats for this year's class of merit aid awardees went up significantly from previous years, though. The competition for Pitt's scholarships seems to be increasing steadily.)</p>

<p>Again - APPLY EARLY!!!</p>

<p>Pitt has some wonderful departments, and my daughter has been very happy there. She's a psych major also getting a certificate in Japanese language. So I can say those departments are very strong. But you should do due diligence to make sure that the departments you're interested in are also strong. How many classes are offered? How many professors in each department? Don't hesitate to e-mail professors in departments you're considering. Chances are they will be happy to answer any questions.</p>

<p>Also, if you don't know how to find out Pitt's course offerings, let me know, and i'll post the link. It's pretty hard to find from the home page.</p>

<p>Applying "undecided" did not hurt my daughter in terms of the full tuition OOS scholarship.</p>