<p>I was thinking of taking couple spanish classes at William and Mary but the college doesn't allow students with 4 years of high school to take any classes lower than the 202 level. Would you recommend continuing with Spanish at a higher level? I have not been taught spanish grammar well in high school.</p>

<p>I mean... that is up to you. If you want to continue with Spanish, you should continue! I assume you aren't considering it as a major or minor, because then the answer would obviously be to continue. Are you considering International Relations as a major? IR has a language requirement that you should look up.</p>

<p>I wasn't very good at Spanish, but I took 3 semesters at W&M, and a summer spanish class at GMU between fresh/soph year. I think this is the online resource we used in my summer class: Spanish</a> Language & Culture | Home has a lot of exercises and then it shows you the answers...</p>

<p>So... it is possible to continue with Spanish. Be aware that you might work really hard and end up with a C+ or B- (which, contrary to the belief that is prevalent on CC, is not the end of the world).</p>

<p>if you want to freshen up your language skills, you could take intermediate Spanish classes at a community college over the summer. W&M wouldn't give you credit for them but then you can register for upper-level classes at W&M after the refresher courses.</p>

<p>You can likely also enroll in Spanish 202 at W&M but not for credit or you can think about auditing it if the professor will allow you to.</p>

<p>Erm, so I'm a bit confused... if you took a language for 4+ years in high school, you would be unable to take a 201 (first semester intermediate) level class? You would have to take 202 (second semester intermediate) level class or higher?</p>

<p>I'n pretty sure that with 4 years of a language at the high school level, you would have to begin not at but above 202. One high school year corresponds to one college semester.</p>

<p>This might be a good question for the registrar. I think if you take four years in high school you have to start about the 202 level but they may allow you to re-take the equivalent of the most recent class taken. This policy has gone back and forth a few times but the registar can provide exact clarification.</p>

<p>Meh, I couldn't take four years of my chosen language at my high school. Wasn't available. Had to stop after Junior year.</p>

<p>I'm just starting over. I'm too rusty in any language I've studied to pass a intermediate level class. Not that I have four years for the req. anyway.</p>

<p>But that doesn't hamper me considering I'm a language lover. =P I'm debating how many languages to take in college. -shifty eyes-</p>

<p>Anyway, OP, you say you haven't learned grammar well? You could talk to the registrar about it, like W&M Admission suggested.</p>

<p>Essentially, W&M will not give you credit or allow you to take a seat in a class for a class you've already taken (in order to be able to provide access to those who haven't taken the class and to keep class size small). As already stated, a year in high school is equal to a semester in college so for example, Spanish 1 = Spanish 101 at W&M, Spanish 3 = Spanish 201, etc.</p>

<p>If you only took three years of a language in high school, you'd be eligible to start at the 202 level here at W&M (equivalent to the fourth year in high school) and you may be able to enroll in 201 or audit it. That distinction can be answered by our Registrar or academic advisors as the policy is complicated and changed periodically.</p>

<p>Yeah, but I took Japanese, which has a placement test during Orientation. Which I will miserably fail because I remember nothing. Hence, pretty sure I'll be starting over again.</p>

<p>@ WM Admission, How does auditing work?</p>

<p>Auditing means that you sit in on the class but get no credit or grade for it. It's meant as a way to refresh your skills or simply get some insight into a subject. You're not required to do any of the homework or exams if you choose not to but you can go to class, listen and learn. As an undergraduate you did need to get permission to audit a class likely from at least the Registrar's Office and also the professor teaching the course.</p>

<p>do i have to pay for auditing a class?</p>

<p>if you're a W&M student you don't have to pay for auditing a class. It's just like registering for any other class. If you're not a W&M student that's a question for either the Registrar or Bursar but no doubt there is a fee associated.</p>