Liberal arts-like schools in the NE near a city?

Emerson course catalog

I don’t think they have any chemistry as I would have expected - it is a VERY specific school. (Amazing for what it is, but not for all majors/ interests).

https://catalog.emerson.edu/search_advanced.php?cur_cat_oid=15&search_database=Search&search_db=Search&cpage=1&ecpage=1&ppage=1&spage=1&tpage=1&location=3&filter[keyword]=Chemistry&filter[exact_match]=1

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the suggestions! By northeast I mean DC and up. I’d rather go OOS for college, but I’m not against staying near NYC. I want to be near a city mainly for its medical resources; for instance, if I want to volunteer or do research, I can easily commute. Something like Swarthmore/Haverford are good distances imo. I know most colleges are good academically and offer med school prereqs, so I’m less worried about that and more so about the other components of an application (i.e. research, clinical experience).

Check out Union. The academic calendar there works well with internships, shadowing, etc.

Many students do their shadowing and clinical experience “stuff” during school breaks and/or during glide years after undergrad. In my opinion, you don’t need to do this during the academic year…when you really need to study, and do well…and also have time for some fun as a college student. So what I’m saying is…I don’t think this needs to be a worry.

Oh…and research is not necessarily needed when applying to medical school.

5 Likes

I would look at Pitt, although whether it is in the northeast or midwest will depend on who you talk to. It is also bigger than what you may be looking for (?).

I agree that a chance me thread is a good idea.

In terms of actual medical school matriculation, liberal arts colleges in a variety of settings perform notably well. This analysis, for example, rates LACs like Amherst, Haverford, Swarthmore, Williams, Bowdoin and Hamilton highly:

From Pre-Med to MD: Understanding the Pathways to Medical School - College Transitions From Pre-Med to MD: Understanding the Pathways to Medical School - College Transitions

However, since you prefer proximity to a larger city, Haverford and Swarthmore may represent your better choices from this group.

Rochester would be a great choice. They have a world class faculty, high quality programs, and own their own hospital system. As research universities go, they have one of the most LAC feels due to their open curriculum. They are like Tufts in being a research university that feels more like an LAC.

4 Likes

Wake may be another to look at. Granted it’s in the middle, but a huge NE population, highly esteemed, and near the city. Of course as a pre med, many of your classes will be dictated but it’s another school with an open curriculum option if you decide that’s what you want.

Open Curriculum - Undergraduate College

Boston probably has the best collection of top hospitals in the world. Five of them are packed together in the Longwood Medical Area, literally next door to or across the street from each other. This makes Boston a great place to be for your purposes in addition to the fact that the T commuter light rail system makes it easy to get around. In addition to Tufts, Brandeis is a small (3600 undergrad) research university, providing more of that LAC experience. Boston College is bigger (9600 full time undergrads) but it functions with a liberal arts philosophy at its core and it has easy access to the T and to Longwood.

I do think and someone pointed it out before, pre meds come from all over - rural and city, places with hospitals and not. Just because there’s a hospital doesn’t mean a student gets to take advantage, etc. so the student should find a school where they can be happy - period - regardless of that.

Or rather - I wouldn’t pick a school solely because of it…is what I’m saying.

2 Likes

Agree with this.

And “medical research” takes place everywhere. There are clinical trials at rural health care centers, longitudinal research at clinics, epidemiological research at suburban hospitals or satellite medical centers.

HS kids hear “medical research” and assume they need a state of the art Genetics lab. Which is not true. I know kids with high quality research experience which involved a computer, expertise in SAS, R, Matlab or similar, and an involved mentor (not necessarily a physician).

3 Likes

Another option, slightly further north, is UVM in Burlington Vermont. I am pretty sure that they have a hospital on-campus (it is at least very nearby). They are quite good for premed (and also for pre-vet – the required undergraduate classes are the same but the medical shadowing is of course in very different environments). While it is a very good university, admissions would be a bit easier compared to some of the schools discussed on this thread and some merit is at least possible for out of state students.

In or near a city of 200,000+, and seeking an LAC or smaller research university like Brown or Tufts, I’d look at Johns Hopkins.Similar in size on the undergraduate level to the 2 universities you mentioned, it is excellent for liberal arts although often overlooked for LA because of its reputation for medical sciences. They certainly have the medical resources that you’re interested in right there.

Trinity College in Hartford, CT is an excellent LAC and it’s just down the street from Hartford Hospital, a large teaching hospital, and Connecticut Children’s Hospital.

2 Likes