School search: Nonpremed genetics / molecular biology programs [VA resident]

I will do a full Chance Me thread in a few months, so for now disregard her stats, likelihood of admission or price. We have done our own research and are starting to visit a range of schools to help D28 build a list, but I want to see if there are schools we should have her explore, or schools on this list that you think might not be a good match academically and vibe-wise for one reason or another.

Priorities:

Academics: Genetics/molecular biology with real wet lab research access as an undergrad. Career goal is research or biotech. Minor or double major in Classics.

Location: East coast between SC and MA. WashU is currently reach top choice but otherwise not the Deep South or middle of the country (no WI, MN, down through Texas). Might consider CO or mid to northern CA.

Size: 2,000-15,000 although I’ve told her not to discount strong honors programs at larger schools. Places like Ohio State, or VA Tech or Penn State are a hard no due to size.

Interests: Vocal music like a cappella or choral ensembles, theater tech. Possibly low key not competitive club swim.

Vibe: D is extroverted but smart and nerdy, needs a place where she can find others like her. Not socially savvy “cool kid” but also not countercultural or a gamer or something. Nice nerdy but mainstream who really values kindness and inclusion.

Top choice right now is W&M which she has visited and loves and is a strong target based on Naviance, so that might possibly be a good starting point. Reach is WashU which we are visiting in a few weeks. Current list on paper includes: Brandeis, Davidson, Denison, Dickinson, UVA (in state), Holy Cross, Villanova, UDel Honors, UMass Amherst Honors, Case Western, Pitt Honors, Tufts, Loyola Maryland, Emory.

As I said, for now don’t worry about her stats or finances. You can see a list that clearly falls across a range from highly selective to those with much higher admit rates. I would love suggestions across the spectrum that we should explore, or reasons why any of these we should consider with caution.

UChicago has a famously rigorous honors biology program and low grade averages.

If Case is on the list, and I think it’s a great match based on what you described, U of Rochester would be a similar school to explore.

If she has the stats to have WashU on the list, Northwestern might be worth a look for another reach.

3 Likes

You, along with D28, should pay them a visit.

When reading the start of your OP, the first school I thought of was William and Mary. Great choice. Lots of opportunities to do lots of different things at this college.

Have you considered Rhodes?

I think it depends on what she wants. Genetics is offered at fewer places but bio most everywhere. I don’t see Hopkins on your list. Since you have some publics like Umass, I would think Rutgers for the major. And It appears UCONN has substantial offerings. And Clemson is a smaller public vs. those biggies - and has a genetics undergrad major. UGA, just South of South Carolina, does as well.

Be careful with Honors - make sure she sees what it entails. Not all are the same. And not all are easy - for example, mine got into two of the top (UGA/U of SC), not into FSU and WL at Pitt - so don’t assume they are gimmes. But also know what they mean from a content POV vs. just saying - it’s a large school, I want Honors. Their offerings may not meet the student need.

Seems like you’ve got most colleges covered.

Good luck.

Glad to see Holy Cross on your list. It was my first thought reading your post.

3 Likes

Colleges at which students regard their science lab facilities highly may be of interest:

2 CA suggestions are Claremont Colleges and UCSB College of Creative Studies. Claremont Colleges is a LAC composed of 7 colleges and has a smaller size and access to faculty. UCSB College of Creative Studies (also mentioned by a previous poster) is sometimes called “grad school for undergrad” since students get close access to faculty and can enroll in any undergrad or grad class they want if their advisor agrees.

As a recommendation of a school with general attributes overlapping with those of WashU, Emory, CWRU and Brandeis — with a similarly top-level biology program — look into, as previously suggested, the University of Rochester.

1 Like

Sounds like our student! Went to Holy Cross, molecular bio major,(double major w a foreign language), summer research in molecular bio wet lab, published and presented research in big national meeting. Opportunities for research are there for motivated students who reach out to professors early in the semester when they build their student research staff. Continued research through senior year. Our student was hired immediately after graduation at a biotech company and has been very satisfied with career trajectory. Took part in college choir all 4 years ( superb music department. This past years choir traveled to Ireland to perform). The college is large for a LAC at 3,200 students and has a “nice kid” vibe, very challenging coursework but the students are collaborative and supportive. Oh yeah, club swim was a blast! We (parents and student) have had a great experience at HC on many levels.

4 Likes

UNC, Rutgers, Pitt, Rochester, Case Western

If a career in biotechnology is of strong potential interest, consider colleges with an available program in data science or data analytics, through which biology could be chosen as an applied domain. The availability of a data science minor, such as that at Davidson, would be sufficient to preserve your daughter’s academic and career options.

UVM maybe?..Has a classics major and given it has a pretty big research hospital on site, I suspect has decent lab access for the genetics/bio major… my older got in and toured and it seemed very hands on program for engineering, suspect same of lab sciences! I know it is well known for animal science and is very hands on there too… seems to vibe with others on your list though a bit more outdoorsy… Has an honors program and a very small state flagship that almost feels like an older private, with kids from quite a few states… Very pretty campus (it is a very old school) Burlington is charming.

I think U or Rochester (as others mentioned) is definitely also worth a look too! Underrated.

BU maybe? or is that too urban?

In regard to Classics, it’s the kind of program that can disappear or be slimmed down quickly. I might look at # of majors, minors, faculty depth and actual course schedules - not just catalogue offerings - to give a best guess that it will be there in 5 years. It might give me pause at a Brandeis, Clark if it was mentioned, UVM and a few smaller schools with published financial issues and cuts.

If it’s that important to the student, even if it eliminates some nice fits, you might look into that so that the rug isn’t pulled out from under - which in theory could happen anywhere.

I know @AustenNut is often expert in sussimg out heft of majors and if has time can maybe evaluate some of the suggestions through the various posts.

Has UVM preserved its classics major? As of a few years ago, they had planned to phase it out.

I navigated to it from the UVM homepage to confirm (Knowing a lot of schools do NOT have classics), but don’t have any first hand knowledge, I am afraid..

I wonder if they ending up cutting a lot of classes but kept major in end? It is a good thing for OP to confirm though

Brandeis has had an excellent classics program, even when considered on a national basis. I’m not sure how its department has fared recently, however. Viewing IPEDS, Brandeis appears to have graduated one first major in classics in a recent year:

2 Likes

They have a nice list with a lot of outside faculty.

I don’t know that it’s a definite sign but when Austen nut puts out those population majors, I find it educational so you can see.

If classics is nice to have or secondary for the student, then it’s less an issue.

Ahh, good reminder of that website -

UVM had a 7 classics majors and 3 master’s graduates in 2025.. so apparently it still existed! 7 isn’t actually that low for classics is it? Same as Umass or Harvard!