What remains unclear to me is whether or not UVM has continued its classics major only for a sufficient time for the students who chose this major to graduate (known as a teach-out, I believe). As with you, I’d suggest further research. Personally, I hope UVM found a way to continue the program on a permanent basis.
Unfortunately, I don’t have much time at the moment, but I can give you one of my favorite sources for this:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/jonboeckenstedt/viz/BachelorsDegreesAwardedin2022/Dashboard1
The source is a getting a little dated, but it shows the number of first AND second majors that received a degree in 2022 (and foreign language majors are often listed as the second major). For more recent data, College Navigator (the feds’ website) has the number of graduates from SY24-25 who received a degree with that major, but only if they listed it as their first major.
If I get more time, I will try and be a bit more helpful.
Rochester is a good suggestion for an addition.
I know they don’t make the size limit individually, but I might consider Haverford/Bryn Mawr.
These posts include figures on the number of students graduating with a first major in classics, based on research from 2025:
The figures can be considered alongside those from 2026 by checking the current IPEDS sites. Year-to-year changes can be significant. To be connected to the classics sites for schools of interest, click on the names of the schools.
The student may want to go through upper level course listings and faculty rosters to see what the offerings in genetics and molecular biology are like at each school. Biology can have considerable breadth and depth, so different departments may have different emphases.
As a non-pre-med student, the student may want to consider whether the magnitude of “competitive pre-med culture” in biology is a factor in school selection.