A lot of the Lutheran LACs in the Midwest offer music scholarships for majors or non-majors that are stackable with academic scholarships and need-based aid. Check out Luther, St. Olaf, Gustavus Adolphus, Concordia - Moorhead. These campuses are likely to lean left of center, as they’re associated with the ELCA denomination, but I think you’d still find a variety of political views. For a much more conservative evangelical school, look into Wheaton College in IL. You might also want to look at Lawrence University, which does not have a religious affiliation. The latter two I’ve listed have music conservatories. Of these colleges, I’m the most familiar with Luther, which is especially known for its science and music departments, so it would be a great fit for you. The music culture is extremely strong. Something like 40% of students participate in the ensembles, and as a pianist you would have a myriad of opportunities to be involved. With careful planning you could double major and still finish in four years. I’d say the environment is definitely more collaborative and less competitive. I’m not too familiar with the track and cross country teams but I recall hearing that they’ve been successful. The town of Decorah is in a surprisingly beautiful pocket of Iowa (think bluffs and waterfalls) and has a large network of trails, both paved and unpaved, if you decide you’d like to keep running just for fun. Good luck with your search!
2 Likes