Looking for NOT FANCY 1-cup coffee maker using ground coffee!

<p>Don't try and talk me into the premeasured pods! Not what I'm looking for! :)</p>

<p>Looking for a 1-cup, can use your own coffee, can use tall or short mug coffee maker, less than $50. </p>

<p>Am finding that I like a cup occasionally in the morning, daughter definitely likes a cup with breakfast when she is visiting and for occasional visitors. Also would like to buy a second maker - the cheaper the better! - for son to take to college for his room.</p>

<p>Not interested in a 4 cup maker. Just want to be able to put my own flavored grounds, water (or tea bag) , own mug and brew!</p>

<p>Of course would like something cute looking on the counter top, but I know that I can't be picky for less $$$!!!! :)</p>

<p>Why not use a French Press?
It's what I use when just making a cup for one.</p>

<p>Bodums are nice.
<a href="http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=french+press&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7229583225234127446&sa=X&ei=nXD_TZjvK5O8sQPP4fHdBQ&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=french+press&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7229583225234127446&sa=X&ei=nXD_TZjvK5O8sQPP4fHdBQ&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks but no thanks! Would prefer plug in to use!</p>

<p>I use a Melitta one cup drip coffeemaker. Ready Set Joe. </p>

<p>Amazon.com:</a> Melitta 64012 Ready Set Joe One Cup Coffee Maker: Home Improvement</p>

<p>I use a gold mesh filter so never have to worry about running out of filter papers.</p>

<p>I use my own mug with the drip cone and never have a pot to wash.</p>

<p>I bought this for my son:
Amazon.com:</a> Black & Decker DCM18S Brew 'n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug: Kitchen & Dining
For $16.95.</p>

<p>He seems very happy with it. It comes with a travel mug but I assume you could use your own mug too.</p>

<p>^^^I bought this one for son's dorm room. He likes that he can use paper filters rather than the gold or mesh filter. He says in a dorm room it is so much easier to just pitch the paper filter than to have to clean out the mesh filters.</p>

<p>Years ago I had a one-mug Melitta-type filter system. It worked really well. When I ran out of the Melitta filters, I used whatever cheap ones I could find at the supermarket, and just folded them to fit the basket.
Melitta</a> USA</p>

<p>I also had a small one to two cup electric home espresso machine with cappuchino foamer built in, but I could never work out how to make the coffee and still be able to foam up the milk. I just used it for coffee. It looked more or less like this one: Mr Coffee ECM-160-NP Cappuccino & Expresso Maker</p>

<p>Right now I have a "faster than instant" electric Farberware four cup percolator. The model I have has markings on the side for as few as two cups. This seems to be the equivalent product: Farberware FCP240 Millenium Automatic Stainless Steel 4-Cup Percolator</p>

<p>And, as I've written before in coffee threads, my go-to coffeepot is a miniature stove-top Moka-type espresso pot. A similar 1-cup model can be found at Target.com: 1-cup Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker</p>

<p>Even cheaper: Buy a single cup coffee filter like this one:
Amazon.com:</a> Melitta U S A Inc 640007 Perfect Brew Filter Cone: Kitchen & Dining</p>

<p>I bought one for D at the local coffee shop for about $4, and you can use it with any cup you like, including travel cups.
Buy a package of #2 filters. Put paper filter in the filter holder, and a scoop or two of coffee, and pour boiling water over it. Might need to refill the cone a second time in a moment. We make coffee every morning this way -- rarely have any to throw out, costs almost nothing, virtually no clean up, and no electricity needed. Toss the plastic filter in the dishwasher if you like. If you want to get fancy, get coffee ground for espresso; we mostly just get regular grind coffee and use a bit more of it to get the desired strength. Easy as pie.</p>

<p>Thank you for the suggestions!</p>

<p>I'm not looking for the cheapest route - in fact, I'm sort of looking for the best looking/making option for a not-too-expensive price. The Black and Decker one might work well for my son - I was hoping for something a little better looking.</p>

<p>(I know, I'm terribly picky!!!)</p>

<p>Meant to add -- we had one gold filter ones, but I found that cleaning it out was a lot more of a hassle than just pitching a paper filter with grounds in it into the compost bag. And personally, I think that most of the cone-type coffee makers make better-tasting coffee than most of the smaller electric ones, at least that's what I've thought on the few times I've used one of the in-room electrics in hotels.</p>

<p>Well, I think it really depends on what kind of coffee you like. The automatic "non pod" like the Black and Decker and the manual cone drips tend to require more coffee to make it strong. D and I both like high octane coffee. She and I both use the plug in type of kettles for the hot water (FAST) and the French press. It does not require paper filters and you spend less on coffee since the press sqeezes the flavor out of the grounds. /easy-peasy</p>

<p>Just buy an inexpensive expresso machine at some place like Best Buy or Macy's. You will pay more for the machine, but use less coffee each day and also save money by not having to buy filters. You can buy Starbuck's (or similar) coffee at the supermarket and grind it for your machine. Life is too short not to drink good coffee! Jackuk</p>

<p>"Would prefer plug in to use!"</p>

<p>Le Press Fracaise works great if you heat the water with one of those spirally plug in heater coils.</p>

<p>The absolute best cup of coffee I ever had was made with a French Press. Ok, so it was at a Ritz Carlton, which may have had something to do with it, but still, it was out of this world!</p>

<p>yah Jym626........my French Press coffee is pretty good.........but not Ritz Carlton good. :( mmmmm if I could only get H to dress up in the appropriate waiter gear.</p>

<p>I am a coffee "newbie", so will want my coffee mild. Will be someone more prone to buy the fun flavored beans to grind at my local store (mocha vanilla, mackinaw island fudge, creme brulee - you get the picture). :)</p>

<p>I have a one cup maker that uses pods AND I BOUGHT A POD MAKER FOR CHEAP and enough pod filters to last 5 years. I buy beans and grind at home. I love my coffee and my one-cup.</p>

<p>I have to share. This thread sent me looking for internet info on my Chefmate coffee maker, which cost $9.99 and has worked pretty well. I found a review site, which included many many reviews of dissatisfied customers whose Chefmate lasted anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks, but a few, like me, got lucky and got a fair amount of use out of their pot. I got a kick out of this review, (not me): </p>

<p>
[quote]
Apr 15, 2011
Rating
starstarstarstarstar I too mourn the loss of a good friend.
by: Coffee Drunkard</p>

<p>Today the office lost a good friend. Chefmate I has died. Purchased on the date 06.09.10 and in daily use until today 04.15.11. Original purchase price of $9.26. A few weeks after Chefmate I was purchased, my boss found it on sale at Target for $6.78...thinking he had found such a deal he purchased the second one, now named Chefmate II, to be next in line of succession. Well today is that day, but Chefmate I did not go out without a fight, he huffed and he puffed and brewed that last pot before smelling like a tire fire. We too are thinking of a Viking funeral, the only appropriate way a warrior of this magnitude should go out...LONG LIVE CHEFMATE I!!! HAIL THE NEW EMPEROR, CHEFMATE II!!!!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I have to laugh.</p>

<p>Every morning, my H puts up a pot of water on the stove. He makes himself a cup of tea. Then he gets out my Dunkin' Donuts vanilla coffee, grinds some up, gets a large plastic Ikea cup, takes a wire filter, places a paper towel in the filter, puts the coffee in it, pours the water over it and, voila, I have an amazing cup of coffee without taking up any counter space.</p>

<p>SunnyFlorida, Pod Maker sounds cool! Tell me more! Brand, cost, etc.....</p>

<p>Joan52, I know what you mean, but everyone has to have a gadget or two - this is one I'd like to have!</p>