Make Enemies?

<p>Sorry, but i'm pretty awful at titles (example: make enemies?)</p>

<p>I am planning to go to either a state uni or a four-year small college in the midwest -final decision depends on fin. aid. but I'm pretty sure I'm going to attend S.U.</p>

<p>After I figure out what I want to do or major in, I plan to transfer into another undergrad school that has a better program/ranked better. </p>

<p>I was wondering if it's in anyway awkward to transfer into another school in regards to your old school. Like, do the profs dislike you or anything if they know you want to transfer (sooner or later)? </p>

<p>How hard is it to transition from one school or another?</p>

<p>Thanks :)</p>

<p>You are funny, professors do not care or want to know you are transferring. Your decisions and personal life mean absolutely nothing to them and they would usually be much happier if you didn't share it with them. Ok so maybe that is a bit harsh, but really... you are an adult now, they don't care what you do. I cannot fully answer the transition question because I have not yet transferred.. but I can assume it is like any change in your life... things are different and you have to get used to it.</p>

<p>thats not true at all. if you to go a state school and want to go to a top one, yes the profs will be helpful. but if your looking to go from ivy to ivy, or top school to top school, you'll find the profs to be extremely condescending towards your motives. they have a sense of pride for they're school and they don't necessarily want to give you away to enemies. higher education is a business after all.</p>

<p>burgler- I know I'm technically an adult, but I've only been one for, say, two months. One of the reasons why I want to go to S.U. or the other smaller school is to work on my confidence -that's why I don't want to make enemies or whatever :-/.</p>

<p>ajp87- thanks, that makes a lot of sense.</p>

<p>[edit] How soon should I show my interest in transferring? Should I let my state. uni. know soon and start showing interest in another school soon?</p>

<p>I'm applying from one top 15 university to other top 15 universities... and to counter ajp87's remarks....</p>

<p>When I approached my professors and dean for recommendations, they were all very supportive of my decision. I met with each of them to discuss my reasons, and I explained how each school to which I am applying would better suit me. Most professors are happy to listen to you if you have a well thought out, mature, rational reason for pursuing transfer. A line that I got several times was "Oh, well we'll certainly miss you here." This statement is rather optimistic, as I'm only applying to super competitive schools, but it does also send the message in a polite way that they would prefer that I remain at their university. I don't believe that anyone who is helping me along in this process was at all condescending or suspicious of my motives, despite their pride in my top ranked school, and an underlying motivation to maintain a 95-98% retention rate for next years USNews rankings (haha, I doubt the professors are even privy to this - most of them are too busy being scholars rather than watching the superficial rankings).</p>

<p>Miss Fiske </p>

<p>Since I'm most likely going to transfer because I want to be at a college that is better ranked (I know that doesn't mean everything, but...) in my future major/ program (from a state university), would this be a stupid reason to transfer? And will make them condescending or angry at my somewhat superficial decision?</p>

<p>Thanks for answering :)</p>

<p>Tnguyen, I don't think that is a superficial reason for transferring, but you will have to develop your reason better. You should be able to pinpoint what it is that the State University does not offer that the other school does offer and how these particular resources or qualities of the curriculum will add to your college experience. Also, I don't think it is a good idea to go into a school so set on transferring - you may get to State University and realize that it is a great place for you. Best of luck!</p>

<p>I agree with MissFiskeGuide, that starting at your State U by planning to transfer out is not a particularly good idea. Even if you think you might transfer in the future, you should be making the most of the experience: academically, socially and personally. Even if your state school does not have the prestige you seek, it will have many opportunities that you will pass by if your only objective is getting out.</p>

<p>Your reason to transfer is not stupid, but it may not be regarded very well by the college you are transferring to, you should definitely have reasons beyond rankings. </p>

<p>You ask if it's easy to transfer, here are some things to consider:</p>

<ol>
<li> Acceptance rates for transfers are often lower (sometimes considerably) than for freshman admissions.</li>
<li> To move up to a higher ranked school (if you were not accepted/qualified as a freshman), you will have to show substantial improvement over your HS record (academically, ECs, etc.)</li>
<li> Transfer applications are as demanding or more so than freshman applications.</li>
<li> You will be filling out transfer applications while you are trying to keep your grades up, get to know profs (so that they can write you a decent rec) and participating in ECs.</li>
<li> You may have to keep your transfer plans to yourself or risk straining your relationship with friends (particularly if you vocalize your intent to move "up").</li>
<li> You may run into problems with what to do about housing since you will likely not find out about your transfer decisions until after you make a commitment.</li>
<li>It may be more difficult to make friends as a transfer in your new school.</li>
</ol>

<p>I know this is negative, and it's not that I don't think people should transfer, quite the opposite--if you are truly not happy with your school, then you should try to go somewhere where you will be. However, I don't think it is something that should be taken lightly. If you haven't done so already, read the Transfer Admissions 101 sticky thread at the top of this forum, it discusses many of the factors involved in transferring. Good luck.</p>

<p>"How hard is it to transition from one school or another?"</p>

<p>From my limited expierence it's like having hot daggers soaked in acid poked into your eyes for the entire time you want to transfer. Though if you like having credits not transfer and having to retake classes, then maybe it will be pleasant for you!</p>

<p>Ok i'm just screwing around, but honestly why not go to the "better school" for a grad degree? Transferring is really a hassle, i thought it would be easy but for at least the schools i'v applied they are making it very tough(Transfer of classes, applications being but aside in favor of freshman etc)</p>

<p>That's what I'm worried about. </p>

<p>I'm just so scared that going to a state school might limit my chances for a good grad school or a good job.</p>

<p>I feel like the decision to go to this (or any other of my three choices) school will indefintely limit my future choices and (each choice) has their own set path. </p>

<p>I'm so worried that I feel like I have an ulcer right now. Seriously, I kid you not. My stomach hurts...arg...</p>

<p>College used to be my number one fantasy and dream...now it seems more like a death sentance.</p>

<p>It's not the school you go to, it's what you do when you're there.</p>

<p>my professors were quite bummed, but supportive and understanding. just don't go to them saying I HATE IT HERE HELP ME GET OUT. Say I like it here, but I"m thinking about transferring because there's this program i really like or because i really wanted to go here originally, and that you're not sure you're gonna transfer (even if you are) but you need to keep those options open. </p>

<p>^^^entomom, not always true. in terms of education, that can be the case. in terms of fit and happiness? some places just aren't right for people.</p>

<p>ClaySoul, Please read more carefully:</p>

<p>In an earlier post I said: "if you are truly not happy with your school, then you should try to go somewhere where you will be."</p>

<p>My saying: "It's not the school you go to, it's what you do when you're there." is in direct reference to the OPs statements: </p>

<p>"I'm just so scared that going to a state school might limit my chances for a good grad school or a good job.</p>

<p>I feel like the decision to go to this (or any other of my three choices) school will indefintely limit my future choices and (each choice) has their own set path."</p>

<p>The OP has not even attended their state school yet and is already planning to transfer to a different school based on ranking--the choice has nothing to do with personal fit and happiness.</p>

<p>i was addressing your comment in a broad sense, not in the unspecified sense in which you intended...</p>

<p>The unspecified sense in which you though I intended. My specificity was implied by proximity, in that it was the post immediately following the OPs comments, a quite common practice on discussion boards.</p>

<p>Not sure if anyone answered the OP's qx (one of them) about how soon to let the current school/profs know you are thinking of transferring.</p>

<p>My answer: not soon at all. No reason to let any of them know until you have decided (1) for sure that you want to; let's assume you're already sure - still want until (2) you know which schools you will apply to and what their deadlines are and (3) which profs you will ask for recommendations.</p>

<p>Those are the only ones who need to know and the timing is when you are ready to ask for the recs; usually at or near the end of the term.</p>