malcolm x

<p>does anyone know why malcolm x broke with the nation of islam and why was he assasinated?</p>

<p>malcom x is a racist towards whites. At least rosa parks and martin luther were actually civil people who believed in equality. Malcom X would conisitently put down whites (and other ethnic groups).</p>

<p>but why was he killed by someone in the nation of islam?</p>

<p>Malcolm X initially joined the nation of islam while in prison. He had this incredible amount of respect for Elijah Muhammed, the founder of the nation of islam, and once out of prison devoted himself to spreading this guy's teachings around. then he found out that Elijah Muhammed wasn't really the saint he had seemed to be (he had a bunch of illegitamete children, for one). he was really disillusioned and left the nation of islam.</p>

<p>at this point he started espousing a much more integrationist racial policy (as opposed to the separatist stuff he had preached while with the nation of islam- chancesplease16, you might want to look into this before you go off randomly telling people malcolm x was a racist). this angered a lot of the people within the nation of islam, who felt that he had gone back on their teachings. they started targeting him (his house was firebombed, for instance), and then he was assassinated for similar reasons. his break with the organization was very public and very detrimental to the nation of islam, and they just couldn't forgive him for it.</p>

<p>another factor in his leaving the nation of islam was his trips to africa/mecca, where he came to this understanding that the races could work together and live together.</p>

<p>Lol. I did a report on African Americans that shaped the United States. I noticed that Rosa Parks and Martin Luther had very similar ideas in that equality is the road to harmony. Although you are very good at stating the facts, I could pull up thousands of quotes that are very disturbing. He actually believed that whites should have been slaves instead of blacks. Now wait a minute, I thought we were talking about equality? Anyways nothing you can say can justify his actions. "There is nothing in our book, the Koran, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. "Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion." send him to the cemetery? Im guessing hes indirectly talking about whites who "put the hands on you" thats violent in my opinion.</p>

<p>I think it's incredibly easy, from the vantage point of the 21st century, to criticize Malcolm X's beliefs and actions. But you have to think about the time and place he lived in. Since you seem to know so much about this subject, you may recall that Martin Luther King's civil rights successes were almost exclusively in the south. When he tried to take his ideas of nonviolence to the north, he found that the same techniques simply did not work. In the north (such as NYC, where Malcolm X lived), the problems were not with the laws so much as with discrimination by police, employers, landlords, and others in control. These were not issues that could have been solved by simply getting a law changed (as was done in the south many times). </p>

<p>There were A LOT of black separatists like Malcolm X who came forward and said, you know what, we're not going to deal with this anymore. What our community needs is to separate from white society so that we can unify and try to heal what white society has done to our culture. only then can we interact with whites on any kind of equal level. </p>

<p>I do not defend everything Malcolm X said. He had some violent ideas, it's true. But primarily he preached black uplift in an era when black communities were losing hope (see the many northern race riots of the 60's). </p>

<p>AND, as I said before, he underwent a kind of spiritual transformation after visiting Mecca and seeing that blacks and whites prayed together there and shared religious experiences. He came back with much more integrationist ideas, which he preached for the rest of his life. It's one of the great tragedies of the civil rights movement, for me, that he didn't live longer, because I think he could have done so much in that direction.</p>

<p>Malcolm X is a hero if you look at him as a revolutionist looking for a change. If you actually knew your history, you would know that after he left the Nation, he realized how wrong he was in his hatred for whites. Read more before you speak.</p>

<p>^^^agreed.</p>

<p>supposedly in the end before his death, he changed his mind and wanted blacks and whites to exist peacefully and work together.</p>

<p>Malcom X was a champion of human rights. Crackas.</p>

<p>wow, the amount of ground this thread is gaining is astounding ;)</p>

<p>the point i made in post #4 has now be reiterated by...every single other person to visit this thread. lol.</p>

<p>Malcolm X was very racist for a good part of his life. It's true, he was. He might have been a great man, but let's not look at the guy through rose-colored glasses. He said some nasty things. I did a paper on him and Martin Luther last year and listened to a lot of his speeches. But even as he was putting me down I was nodding with him. Powerful speaker, there. Whenever he comes up on random play in iTunes (hahaha), my brother and I cheer like crazies and turn the volume all the way up.</p>

<p>Still, I have a lot of respect for his take on education and the way he approached youth, even before his "spiritual revelation".</p>

<p>I wonder what it would have been like to meet him and talk to him pre-Mecca, being white and all. He probably would have been pretty chill about it. The vibe I always got from him was that he was very calculated...even the racist things he said were to some extent calculated to enhance and idea, a mood, not to propogate a belief that "the white man is evil" or something.</p>

<p>I still have trouble thinking of Malcolm X as a racist, but just because of the semantics of it. I personally see racism as not only an ethnic anomosity, but discrimination of a subjugated group by a group in power. And that power element of it is lacking when you talk about African-Americans who preach separatism. Because they're trying to regain power lost rather than maintain power over another group.</p>

<p>^ you fail to see the racsim because your a filthy democrat!</p>

<p>I'm a democrat myself and see Malcolm X as a reformed racist, who was nonetheless instrumental in the civil rights movement. Racism is anomosity towards somebody because of their ethnicity, or color of their skin. To me, it doesn't have to involve power or a group in power. That's taking the heart out of the matter, which is unfounded hatred based on fear/lack of understanding, and assigning really random logistics to it. </p>

<p>I guess the real question is, did Malcolm X really "hate" /all/ whites...I don't know enough about him to say this clearly or not.</p>

<p>I'm republican and I agree with vegangirl. I mean look at X's situation. Granted, he did say 'coming home to roost' and 'by any means necessary', but look at what he was up against. He was fighting generations of hatred, bigotry, and subtle racism, which might be harder to defeat than the blatant kind. King had 1)The support of the government (Bobby K.) and 2)Lots of people already upset to begin with. X didn't have anything in Harlem, the very people that should have been pushing for anti segregation legislation were racist.
Oh and chancesplease16, name calling is more reminiscent of 3rd grade than a semimature high schooler. And since when were democrats filthy? Oh wait, anybody that isnt Christian, white, republican, straight, and rich is filthy. My bad. But uh, wouldn't that leave you with a country a lot like Texas?</p>

<p>Your a nincumpoop! :P</p>

<p>It doesn't matter what context the racism is in; racism is still racism. It is never "justified" which is why people like Martin Luther will be remembered as the real heroes, even though people like Malcolm X helped to further the cause...we don't like to think that people with visibly bad flaws can still be beneficial to society for some reason. And yes, it was a flaw. An understandable one, yes. But why are all of you trying to justify it? You should see it for what it was, but acknowledge also that we all have flaws, and that in no way diminishes his contribution to the civil rights movement.</p>

<p>Malcom X was a flawed person, yes, but still a very interesting and relevant one. A historical figure doesn't have to be perfect to be worth learning about; case in point, Thomas Jefferson (and not just the slave thing).</p>