Master's Teas: who'd be your pick?

<p>The residential college system is a major reason why Yale is my top choice. I like the sense of community the colleges seem to foster. That the residential colleges sponser Master's Teas is just icing on the cake. For those of you who don't know what a Master's Tea is, it is when an accomplished person, from any field, is invited in to talk to a group of Yale students. Here's a link to an article on Master's Teas from the Yale Herald: <a href="http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/frosh/2001/blue/p51.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/frosh/2001/blue/p51.html&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p>

<p>With that in mind...just to pass the time as we wait for Yale's verdict on our applications, I'd like to ask you all who you'd call in for a Master's Tea, if you for some reason had the choice, and why? </p>

<p>Really, this is a Yale'd up way of asking what living person you would like to meet and have a chat with. Me, I'd go for Tim Burton. He's directed some really awesome, off-beat films, and he came up with the idea for Nightmare Before Christmas, one of my favorite movies ever.</p>

<p>Are only living persons invited? Me, I'd like to have a Master's Tea with Sergei Rachmaninoff. I don't suppose Yale has the ability to summon the dead, though.</p>

<p>Sorry, just jesting! =D</p>

<p>BILL CLINTON
I love Bill Clinton.
I think he is one of the greatest statesmen of all time.</p>

<p>RIP Anthony Hecht, who would be my choice except he died two weeks ago.
Billy Collins, Robert Pinsky, Valery Gergiev, Oswaldo Golijov.</p>

<p>iplayoboe - I think Hillary Clinton would also be pretty cool.</p>

<p>There are so many I'd love to choose...Teresa Heinz Kerry, Noam Chomsky, Kofi Annan, Peter Singer, Oprah....</p>

<p>i would probably choose bill clinton too, or maybe hugh hefner, he's really interesting as well.</p>

<p>Bill Clinton would be great. I wouldn't mind talking to any international leaders either, but they probably would not come in :p. Maybe George W. too :)</p>

<p>I vote George</p>

<p>Bill Clinton, any day.</p>

<p>Also, to iplayoboe... As another person from the "boring Philly suburbs," I have to say he must be very loved here; I live in a Republicanful area, and everyone here adores him, too. The man is brilliant, and I can only hope there will be another politician like him in my lifetime.</p>

<p>I third Bill Clinton and I second Hillary!</p>

<p>dtown, where are you in this suburban wasteland?
i live in Montco.</p>

<p>Although he's a Harvard grad, I would love to be able to have a tea with Barack Obama. I got to hear him speak at the DNC, and I just love him!</p>

<p>I'm in Bucks, iplayoboe. Although I happen to love suburbia; all I need is a Starbucks and a bunch of upscale clothes shops in town, and I'm good to go.</p>

<p>To flachica: I have to admit, when I heard Obama was a Harvard grad, for a moment I reconsidered my Yale-ishness. But then I remembered how much I love Yale. Still, deep down I'm just hoping that he becomes as spectacular as my boy Bill.</p>

<p>I fourth Bill and third Hillary, but my first choice would be current Yale student, Mike Richter. Unfortunately, he already had one last week :( <a href="http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=27141%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=27141&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Actually my dad interveiwed 2 of those people you guys want to meet.</p>

<p>1: Bill Clinton- called my dad a "terrible man who should be ashamed of himself" I love to brag about that. I can't repeat the terrible thing my dad said to him... </p>

<p>2: Teresa Heinz Kerry- actually, he says, she's a pretty nice lady.</p>

<p>The advantages of having a newspaper writer as a father...</p>

<p>Mr. Obama would be interesting...</p>

<p>I think Michael Moore would give a great Master's Tea</p>

<p>teresa? hilary?? MOORE?????</p>

<p>why am i even considering applying? i must be a masochist!</p>

<p>though i'd agree on obama, he seems to be a pretty good guy as far as dems go. i'd also like to hear william f. buckley</p>

<p>I've heard Hillary speak at my school, and it was nothing special. I would LOVE to hear/meet Bill. I would be interested in hearing Michael Moore speak just for the experience, although you do need to take what he says with a grain of salt. I also think that Kofi Annan or William Safire would be really fascinating. From the entertainment genre, I would love to hear both Richard Gere and Bruce Springsteen--they are such wonderful speakers.</p>

<p>This past summer I attended a Master's Tea at Calhoun with Dr Ruth! :D</p>