She is willing to consider KU, Univ of Denver, Univ of Utah, and Trinity in San Antonio.
Not sure if we can afford the U.
We can easily afford KU if she gets her grades up because they are part of the MSEP (Midwest Student Exchange Program) for transfer students and they have AFAIK the best photography program in the central U.S. Outside of New York or California, it is the best program geographically close as far as I can tell.
She doesn’t want to go to South Dakota. Most public universities are going be really expensive because we are OOS and don’t qualify for aid at public colleges.
Many of the private colleges we qualify for aid. As good as some of them sound, she is unsure if California is too far, and rent and general cost of living is going to be super expensive. Still looking into some of those mentioned.
I have told her about photojournalism previously, in which case she could stay where she is. That’s a different animal though and perhaps a dying career field.
The Dakotas aren’t pricey - but you asked the other day for Tenn Schools…were none of interest I sent (some TN and AL). I wouldn’t think photojournalism is dead…at least not more dead than traditional. I do think a lot of journalism type stuff in general is contract work but we photograph everything today!!
I thought the leaving part was beyond academics?
KU is a FANTASTIC school!!!
If she goes to the SE (TN, etc.) are you going too - so she’d still be in range of you? It sounded like you might be moving as well.
We aren’t moving anytime soon that we know of. We just don’t see a long term future in Nebraska.
I looked at Sewannee; it is around 70-80% Greek so that disqualified it. Tenn/Chattanooga could be a possibility.
She does not want to go to school in the Dakotas. Have you been to South Dakota in the winter? It’s a gorgeous state, we actually love Sioux Falls, but winters can be a lot.
Considering transferring is partly for the academics, in that she isn’t necessarily excited by her current school’s offerings or reputation in her other proposed major. The new school should be somewhat on par academically or at least have a notable department in her proposed major.
It is also about sociocultural fit, location, and her overall well-being.
Summer, not winter. Was just cost effective but I pivoted to TN//AL once you mentioned that’s where she wanted to be the other day.
Hence the list including UTC.
That’s why I asked or wondered if you might move, since you noted she wanted to be 3-4 hours from you. That was also why I originally (thinking 3-4 hours from Nebraska) came up with U S Dakota.
I pivoted to TN with you tho Yeah, Sewanee is definitely not for her. Rhodes is on the other side of the state but didn’t seem a fit. At least for first years, they are $$ agressive.
I don’t know that she wants to be in TN necessarily. My husband has a possible job opportunity there, and Belmont seems like a good fit. That’s how TN got brought up. That job could be 6 months from now or 6 years from now…no telling. I don’t think she wants to be in Alabama necessarily either. Her first choice would be to be out west, but she is constrained by distance and cost.
I just wanted you to understand because you have mentioned schools in Nebraska several times…that is not happening. She could have gone to UNK for free and it was still a no, from us.
Would something like Luther College in Iowa be interesting? The town of Decorah is supposed to be quite nice, and it’s in the Driftless part of Iowa which is quite hilly and known for a lot of outdoor recreation (hiking, etc.). Their claim to fame, though, is their very strong music program. However, they also have what might be an interesting major called Visual Communication. They also do have an art major and various business majors, which are quite popular. Just another idea.
I pretty much never see App State get referenced here, and it seems like it’s very NC student heavy. But it seems like one of those schools that can really be a great place to spend four years. (And the town of Boone seems lovely, but I really really love the Western Carolinas and am hoping that’s where my younger boy ends up.)
We lived in Hendersonville and Flat Rock when our kids were really little. Such an incredibly gorgeous part of the country with an almost ideal 4 seasons of weather! (hurricanes excepted.)
Yes, the uncertainty - if you aren’t sure to leave Nebraska, it might be best to be close - which KU is (and others like Truman State which has photography and is small.
As you noted, the student may or could get homesick and wants to be 3-4 hours from home. It’s hard to pick that at this point.
As for KU - I’m a fan of flagships in general, Lawrence is fantastic and everyone loves Rock Chalk Jayhawk. The journalism program is top shelf - and while I’m seeing photography comes under art, I thought maybe journalism. They also have a BFA like others. Strong business school. Midwest - just nicer kids in general - that’s my experience with Midwest people. Not far from Nebraska….affordable costs without the midwest plan but you have the midwest plan for cost to boot.
Of course, she’ll need to visit but hopefully it (or another) provides the fit she needs.
The only thing I wonder about is many of these photography majors are BFAs. Can you do that and a double in business. If she decides to go business, they have a photog minor. Or she can reverse.
Of course, I wonder if it’s too big - hence I noted Truman State or Trinity which you are looking at - but for big schools, it can be a good fit - but ultimately she’ll need to decide.