I’m guessing we would find out within the next 4 to 8 weeks. We can choose anywhere in the state, but it makes more sense to be central and I would prefer not to live in Houston, El Paso, or west Texas. Desirable places to live in TX would be much closer to her than where we are now so it’s all good. She might not transfer if we are closer.
Just curious - if the school isn’t / hasn’t been a fit to the point of bullying and depression, etc, why would your distance to her change that fact ?
I know you said 3-4 hours but if your distance were the issue, then it sounds like homesickness.
Awesome if she can stay but just sounded like the school experience and lack of photog courses - made it a bad fit regardless of your residence location.
Congrats on the job opportunity.
The whole situation has been very complicated.
Part of it has been about bad fit—truly terrible first roommates, a major change, etc.—
And part of it has been about her being homesick, her figuring out who she is and what she values…
We could relocate to TX and she could still change schools. IDK. None of it is particularly straightforward.
I believe @MaineLonghorn has a daughter who majored in photography. Perhaps she has some recommendations. (Apologies if I am remembering incorrectly).
Our daughter did major in photography and art history and had a good experience at Susquehanna but Pennsylvania is a long way from Texas. I do not know about other schools. Photography majors aren’t common, at least a few years ago.
I do hope your D’s dorm situation is much improved and that her semester is off to a smoother/happier start.
All our conversations at this point revolve around: to what extent is a depressive mood organic vs. a result of circumstances and one’s environment?
I searched but couldn’t find anything definitive…
Opinions on the University of New Mexico?
Apparently their photography/art program is a top 10 program, almost zero Greek life, not a sports obsessed school, beautiful location and weather…Albuquerque has a questionable reputation re : crime, so that’s unfortunate.
D’s grades are WAY up this semester…all A’s except for one class where they have only had one grade recorded so far (why do professors do that? It’s so unfair.) She is less homesick but still unhappy.
Calling @wayoutwestmom for insights on UNM
I mean, it’s an easy to get into state school, very urban, not overly diverse (half the class is Hispanic, a bit less than 30% Caucasian) - but as a Caucasian student, you’d find it diverse.
Cost should be good - they have merit for transfers.
Winter is moderate but there’s cold and snow. Sports are - sometimes basketball is good. But obsessed no. There are 22 Greek organizations although I can’t see how many students.
It will be much more a commuter school than Baylor…much more.
Albuquerque isn’t the nicest city - but it’s a city - and it has it’s pros and cons. I love the scenery. Others find the New Mexico environment boring.
You definitely need to visit.
Good luck.
UNM is like many urban campuses.
Yes, there is a crime problem in SOME areas of Albuquerque. (I’ve lived in ABQ for 45+ years and never once experienced a crime against my person or property. Ditto for the rest of my family and everyone I know in ABQ.) Yes, there may be unhoused individuals panhandling on some of the busier street near campus. Yes, there may be some drug dealing going on at the shady diner 4 blocks off campus.
However, the campus itself is safe.
My older D graduated from UNM and both Ds graduated from UNM’s med school which is across a major city street from the main campus. Because of how medical training works both girls (and all of their female friends) came and went from the hospital at all hours of the day and night and none of them reported feeling unsafe.
I would say so long as your daughter has some good situational awareness, she should be fine.
Here’s the campus safety report:
There was an unfortunate incident with a shooting on campus last fall. (First one ever!) The incident happened before most students arrived on campus for fall classes and in a privately owned dorm–not a university dorm. All individuals involved were NOT students. Drugs were involved.
Thanks so much for the first hand information.!
We love New Mexico; we’ve been many times. Their photography program is ranked 8th in the country. 5% of students are involved in Greek life.
Plus the campus vibe is just very chill. There’s a general “live and let live” attitude among students.
Athletics do not dominate the campus culture. Nor do Greeks.
ABQ and Santa Fe have a very vibrant arts scenes.
I think it would fit her very well. All except that it is more liberal than she is used to, but then arts will be that way in general unless she sticks with a very conservative school.
I hope you visit and she enjoys the school. I think the commuter vs. residential aspects (there’s 5K in the dorms so there is res life) will be different. But you said not much to do in Waco - you won’t have that issue in Albuquerque.
Let’s hope it’s a fit - major wise as engineering wasn’t and overall environment.
It certainly seems promising.
Can’t help on UNM but just want to say I hope your D finds a happy landing spot.
Thank you—that is so kind.
Thanks. We’re together coming up with a list of 5 or so schools for her to submit transfer applications to. It’s too late for some schools already but that’s ok.
Quick post to note that the 2nd priority deadline for UNM Honors College transfer admission is April 1st.