Match Me / Ideas for a Transfer Student / Photography + Business [3.00 GPA in 1 semester of college, 3.94 HS GPA, 32 ACT, <$50k, lower is better]

TYSM. I don’t think she is interested in honors though.

Looking for info on Northern Arizona U. They offer a B.S. in photography and they offer a very practical hands on major with focus on career and business aspects. She could
(theoretically) double major in business and photography, but all photography majors take “the business of photography” dealing with issues like copyright, work flow, and marketing.

I know Flagstaff is awesome and would suit the outdoorsy vibe. Homesickness is less of an issue than it had been.

2 Likes

She might ask to be connected to a student in the major. And for a career outcome list from past students You can also look on LinkedIn I’m sure you just want to find a happy place at this point but info never hurts

If she doubles, here are the career outcomes for business - they only have for business and engineering. Not other majors.

I set to marketing 2024 although you might need to redo if use as often they reset. It says captured 6 months after graduation. I don’t see a knowledge rate so no idea what % of grads it includes.

Good luck

Last school was UNM Any thoughts there ?

https://frankecareer.nau.edu/outcomes/#!eWVhcj0yMDI0O21ham9yPU1hcmtldGluZw==

1 Like

UNM is a top school for photography (more arts focused) and I still think it’s worth looking into; she is hesitant about ABQ just (unfortunately) based on reputation.

She is very lost and confused. It is honestly heartbreaking. The only thing I know for sure is that she shouldn’t go back to her current school. Meanwhile, she feels guilty when she thinks about “abandoning” her best friend/next year’s roommate.

2 Likes

Hope she is able to go on visits to see each. That could help in either the yay or nay category vs eliminating on online research. @WayOutWestMom recently put something out there- maybe on this thread - showing UNM has historically been ok safety wise

I’m sure her roomie understands her need to go. And hopefully they stay in touch. Many don’t live with besties. I’m sure she’ll find a great roommate - I know not easy for your daughter who sounds like feels guilty but it will work out for her bestie.

As an aside, I looked on WUE to see who else has photography. I know you’re not WUE eligible but just for a source. Utah Tech in St George, which is booming, and Colorado State might be two more in that part of the world to look at.

1 Like

We’ve thought about Col State, but according to Chat GPT, it is more of a “rah rah” party/Greek school than some of the others we’re looking at. It’s the closest to home though. Will look at Utah Tech.

Thanks for the support. :heart:

If you have the time, I’d encourage you to visit schools vs rely on chat gpt. Go when schools are in session. Make an appt with the dept. stop kids in the building and chat. Same on campus. They may be a no. But they may also surprise.

Ideally we would do that. I don’t think we have time to go before the end of the semester. (I’m not relying on Chat GPT. It is just another info source.)

2 Likes

There’s a CSU patent on here - maybe @vwlizard although I may be wrong. That maybe can help.

I certainly hope she finds one. I guess she’ll apply and look later ?

Good luck. I know it’s tough.

1 Like

Any consideration given to a gap year? This might give your D some time to regroup and consider options in a less rushed manner.

2 Likes

Our fear is that taking a year off would make it that much more difficult for her to go back.

1 Like

I have asked her many times if she wants to be at home next year, either working or taking classes locally. She always says no, but I’m not so sure.

2 Likes

Makes sense and your D should have input. My concern is that a pivot should be done with the upmost care (visiting schools, understanding how transfers get integrated, etc.) to allow for the greatest chance of success.

Even in the best of circumstances, transferring into a new college can be a challenge. Your D will be in a new environment when the vast majority of her peers will be settled in with friendships and the routines of the school. A successful transfer can absolutely be done, but it takes work and a good fit.

3 Likes

And yet staying at her current school—I don’t see how it can work. Things are not getting better; in fact, they are getting worse. I don’t see what will change or improve next year (other than that she’d be rooming with her friend.) Therapy is not helping although of course that can take awhile to work.

Her advisor is pushing her into photojournalism when she has no interest in photojournalism. She doesn’t like the school’s culture, finds the religious aspect performative, hates the weather, hates the town, is planning to take more gen eds instead of pursuing anything that interests her, and even if she does do studio art/photography, it is not a strong program there.

She has never been like this until this year. Sure a lot of this was probably already there, but I have to believe the environment and circumstances are making things worse. Why would we send her back to that?

6 Likes

I was more thinking a gap year than staying put…but I get the concerns about that as well. I hope she will find a school where she will be happy and move forward.

1 Like

I’m sorry things are getting worse for your D. I’ve been through this situation with a number of clients, friends, and one of my own kids. It’s extremely difficult, and if people haven’t been through it, they can’t really understand what the family is going through. My advice is to do what it takes to get her in a new place next fall, especially if you think taking time off college doesn’t make sense for her. Fundamentally, transferring takes bravery because no one knows if the new school will be better, even if a visit somehow happens (which generally isn’t realistic when we are talking about missing college classes as we head towards finals.) If the current situation is untenable/there are mental health concerns, taking the leap is necessary. Does she have any transfer acceptances yet for this fall?

3 Likes

Thank you. It means a lot to be seen and heard.

Where we left it as she heads back after Easter break is that she will apply to 4 schools for transfer; we’re picking 2 and she is picking 2. We picked KU and NAU and she hasn’t chosen hers yet. (Much to my surprise she floated the idea of UNL which is shocking because she has never been a fan.) She doesn’t want UNM or I would have chosen that.

Applying and acceptances doesn’t mean she has to transfer and we’ve made that clear, but we also have it made it clear that the school just doesn’t seem like a fit for her and it is probably best to move on.

I also wonder about programs like Semester at Sea or similar, so I’ll look into that.

1 Like

I’m also going to look at the “colleges that change lives”.

1 Like

Those will be small.

It’s a nice sentiment but it’s also a marketing ploy. Hopefully someone has a robust photog major at one.

1 Like

OK, good to know, thanks.