Mich or U Texas for comp sci

<p>Ds wants to major on CS. UT would be in state and he has an automatic admision. His dad went to UM and thinks very highly of their CS department. DS has visited UT a couple of times and liked it but doesn't love it. Visited UM once and liked it a little better than UT. He's pretty quiet, not a partier. Disregarding cost (we can factor that in ourselves) why would UM be a better choice if he's accepted there. Do you have any other schools with UM selectivity that we should consider for CS? As a parent I'm concerned about employment prospects. Any advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Both schools are amazing and the campuses at both schools are wonderful. Both schools have great employment prospects and CS at each school is pretty much equivalent when it comes to rankings. </p>

<p>I would let your son choose the school he wants based on 'fit' (i.e. how much he likes he school's environment) rather than on job prospects or selectivity. </p>

<p>Other schools in UM's selectivity range are MIT, CMU, Stanford, Berkley, UCLA, Princeton, UIUC, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech and Cornell (in no order).</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. MIT is his dream school. He's competitve for MIT but ECs are relatively weak except for his sport. MIT coach seamed very encouraging and said he gets over half of his recruits accepted. He played in the same league as DS does now. BTW DS is currently a junior. No chance of playing for UT or UM. To have a school like UT that is top 10 or 15 in CS as an almost guaranteed admit is very comforting. UM is in the running because Dad loves UM and DS likes UM a little better than UT but thinks he'd be happy at either.</p>

<p>USNews</a> CS Rankings:
Texas: 8th
Michigan: 13th</p>

<p>NRC</a> CS Rankings
Texas: 7th
Michigan: 21st</p>

<p>Choose based on fit. They're both tops. If you're in-state for UT, that seems like a no-brainer to me.</p>

<p>momof95, at half the price, I think UT would be a better bargain. On the other hand, if cost is not an issue, and your husband and son both prefer Michigan, going to Michigan would be perfectly reasonable. </p>

<p>If I were to rate CS departments according to excellence (both for academic and professional placement), I would go with the following groupings:</p>

<p>GROUP 1
Carnegie Mellon University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Stanford University
University of California-Berkeley</p>

<p>significant gap</p>

<p>GROUP 2
Cornell University
Princeton University
University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
University of Texas-Austin
University of Washington </p>

<p>small gap</p>

<p>GROUP 3
California Institute of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of California-Los Angeles
University of California-San Diego
University of Maryland-College Park
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University if Wisconsin-Madison </p>

<p>small gap</p>

<p>GROUP 4
Brown University
Columbia University
Harvard University
Purdue University-West Lafayette
Rice University
University of Pennsylvania
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Southern California
Yale University</p>

<p>small gap</p>

<p>GROUP 5
Duke University
Johns Hopkins University
New York University
Northwestern University
Pennsylvania State University-University Park
University of California-Santa Barbara
University of Chicago
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
University of Virginia</p>

<p>Alexandre, what are you basing that tiering system on? The new NRC ranks Computer Science rankings a lot differently than you do.</p>

<p>NRC</a> Rankings Overview: Computer Sciences - Faculty - The Chronicle of Higher Education</p>

<p>If we look at the new September 2010 Rankings and use the eyeball test to average the R and S scores, this is what we get roughly...</p>

<p>TIER 1 (the low range for either R or S is within 10)
Princeton
Stanford
MIT
Carnegie Mellon
Berkeley</p>

<p>TIER 2 (the low range for either R or S is within 20)
UC Santa Barbara
Penn
Cornell
UCLA
UNC-Chapel Hill
UIUC</p>

<p>Tier 3 (the low range for either R or S is within 30)
Columbia
Wisconsin
Duke
Michigan
UT Austin
Georgia Tech
UC San Diego
Maryland</p>

<p>Brown, Rochester, Michigan State, U of Washington, SUNY Stony Brook and the University of Southern California narrowly miss the cut but they are all fantastic programs as well. I'm skeptical of what these rankings mean at the undergraduate level but rest assured that Michigan and Texas are peers in CS.</p>

<p>If cost is not a concern, then go to Michigan if that's what the son prefers. Otherwise, Texas it is.</p>

<p>Texas has a slightly better reputation when it comes to certain areas in CS (for example, operating systems) - though this usually only play a role when it comes to grad school.</p>

<p>He should visit Michigan and see what he thinks. Academically, it'll mostly be a wash.</p>

<p>^^^Then again there is always the, "What if I decide to major in something else other than CS? Keep that in mind too when choosing a school.</p>

<p>^Yes I would encourage anyone applying to keep that in mind. I've seen dozens of people who were in hard sciences first semester and liberal arts second semester.</p>

<p>My name here comes from the fact that D's decision came down to UM honors or UT Plan 2. (OOS both but UM scholarship made it a little less expensive than UT). It was a very hard decision but she chose UM because she thought she wanted a straight Pre-Med major and at UT she would have had to double major with Plan 2 and Pre-Med. She has absolutely loved UM and is very happy she chose it. But as several posters have noted, majors have a habit of changing and she is now an Econ major. Had she known she was going to major in Econ, she probably would have chosen UT Plan 2. But like OP's son, she did not have a bad choice and while she loves UM, I think she would have also loved UT, had she gone there. But then I may be biased since UT was my alma mater.</p>