Movies I wanted to/or did, walk out of

<p>I’ve never walked out of a movie but I really wanted to walk out after seeing Push. Such a stupid movie! I did walk out of Avatar, though, because the 3D was giving me a headache (I hate 3-D).</p>

<p>Angelina Jolie’s career is not built on her appeal to moms.</p>

<p>I would have agreed about the unwatchability of Tom Cruise (except for some early movies, like Risky Business), but then he was in Tropic Thunder. I will admit that revived him as an actor for me. (It does NOT, however, make Eyes Wide Shut any more tolerable. Or Vanilla Sky.)</p>

<p>Jim Carey . . . hasn’t appeared in Tropic Thunder yet. Or Risky Business.</p>

<p>They were also in Far and Away. I didn’t think the movie was bad, though. I honestly do not judge a movie because I hate the actor.</p>

<p>Would have walked out on The Four Feathers, if it wasn’t a rental. OK movie when the characters were in England, but when the scene shifted to the Middle East, movie got awful!! Lots of mindless inane slo-mo scenes.</p>

<p>LOL JHS, agreed I am not the target market for Angelina Jolie.</p>

<p>In fairness though, I did enjoy Jim Carey in The Majestic and the one where he was actually on a reality-type tv show (can’t remember the name of it). And Will Ferrell was not horrible in Elf.</p>

<p>I loved the movie Elf! It’s a classic!</p>

<p>^Truman Show. I was just going to post that that is the one Jim Carrey movie I really, really like.</p>

<p>I tried to watch the new Star Trek movie twice (rented, not in a theatre). I fell asleep both times. If I can get that bored during an action film, it must be truly terrible.</p>

<p>I wish I could have given up on Avatar, but I saw it twice in school and as such couldn’t leave. That was a truly painful experience…</p>

<p>Hugh Grant drives me insane. He plays one role in all his movies and does it really badly.</p>

<p>^ The new Star Trek is one of my favorite movies! It’s amazing. Avatar, it was okay… The first time I saw it I was so bored but the second time was not so bad. I also hated Titanic, so I’m just not a big fan of that director.</p>

<p>^ Star Trek seemed very clumsily made to me. They would cut off a plot sequence suddenly and jump into something else - it was like the director decided “hey, this would be cool!” and threw random, irrelevant scenes in before moving on. After a few of those I would start getting lost and tired. Both times I fell asleep sometime shortly after they randomly break up the disciplinary hearing and race off to a poorly executed space battle scene. Yawn.</p>

<p>I guess there’s no arguing taste…</p>

<p>Hmm I thought it was a very good movie. Much better than Transformers 2. That is my opinion, though. It had humor, good action scenes, character development, etc… Also you can’t forget Chris Pine…</p>

<p>^ That’s like saying it was better than repeatedly hitting oneself with a crowbar. I only saw Transformers 1, and the script was literally the worst I’ve ever seen. It was like they were reading off the side of the action figure boxes.</p>

<p>DH and DS dragged DD and me to the new Star Trek movie against our collective will. To our shock and amazement, we really enjoyed it but my DH and DS were miserable throughout.</p>

<p>Agree that Jim Carey is hard to take. I also have a lot of trouble making it through a Sean Penn movie. I know he’s brilliant. I admire his performance. I just find it really painful to watch him.</p>

<p>I don’t like Jim Carey, but I thought The Truman Show was brilliant and he was fine in the part.</p>

<p>Jim Carey does not bug me all that much. But I do think Jack Black over acts in all of his movies.</p>

<p>May I offer Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as an example of a Jim Carrey movie that no one could say was ruined by his presence?</p>

<p>To the list of “actors I can’t stand, and I’m not sure why”, I offer Julia Roberts. Her career was made by that smaltzy “Pretty Woman”. That part could have been played better by any number of actresses, but she got the part for some reason. Similarly come to think of it, not a big fan of Richard Gere either.</p>

<p>mantori, </p>

<p>Yes, Eternal Sunshine is a very fine film. </p>

<p>RSbuletz, agree totally on Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. What saves them is there intrinsic humility. They both seem to get it that they are in the star role through shear capricious luck.</p>

<p>I’m not crazy for Richard Gere either, but he was good in Days of Heaven. Everyone else was better, but still…</p>

<p>I can’t stand watching Matthew McConaughey. Ugh!</p>

<p>I never liked Colin Farrel but he was great in In Bruges (which you shouldn’t see if you don’t like violence in movies)…</p>

<p>I’ll also add Julianne Moore. I used to hate watching her, until I saw Magnolia. She’s a great actress, just a bit hard for me to take.</p>

<p>Days of Heaven is a brilliant film. I just wish Terrence Malleck would make more films. His Badlands with Sissy Spacek is extraordinary. It’s taken me awhile but I’m starting to understand his Thin Red Line. Yes, he knew what he was doing when he cast Gere in Days of Heaven. It works.</p>

<p>I really like this thread. Everyone is really smart and has great taste in movies.</p>