My Chances at Yale

<p>I'd appreciate any thoughts on my chances at Yale. I'm not an URM, I live in Illinois.</p>

<p>1450 SATs 740 Verbal, 710 Math
34 ACT
SAT II's 710 Math IIC, 710 Writing, 660 US History
4.4 weighted GPA
3.76 unweighted
ranked 115/~800
National Merit Semi-finalist
work 2 jobs year round
I run a powerpoint slide show that advertises all the dogs and cats at the local animal shelter.
varsity lacrosse
taking hardest schedule school offers </p>

<p>AP's Completed
U.S. History - 5
Microeconomics - 4
Macroeconomics - 4 </p>

<p>I'm currently taking AP English, AP BC Calc, AP Environmental Science, AP Government and Honors Latin</p>

<p>you're obviously bright, and the fact that you work 2 jobs is impressive. </p>

<p>That being said, unfortunately academics are important too and you fall in at a 3/9 on the AI scale-which is not bad overall but at yale, as a non-URM, non-hooked applicant you basically need to be a 6, preferably 7+</p>

<p>I would say that you are competitive, but not at the top end of the applicant pool. Your rank really hurts you as almost all of the people at Yale were in the top 10% of their high school class. Your US history sat ii could be higher too.</p>

<p>Its a reach school for all and a crapshoot even for the best, so don't expect much.</p>

<p>well, of course it's a reach, but Yale's a reach for anybody. it's true that the greatest strength of your application (much like my own) will have to lie in some area other than the test scores. </p>

<p>what type of school do you go to?</p>

<p>3 AI for yale is a slim shot. haha AI is lame but its a good predictor. You need a 6 or a 7 to have a good shot like encomium said, espeically if you are just 'well-rounded' with nothing really special. Then again, working 2 jobs year round is impressive. Where do you work?</p>

<p>Retaking any tests?</p>

<p>Weirdoone,</p>

<p>I attend a large public high school in Chicago. Thanks for your comments.</p>

<p>I work for a local cater 4 days a week and at a Country Club (valet) 3 days a week.</p>

<p>If you're ranked 115th with a 3.76, that's quite a school-- or serious grade inflation, I don't know and couldn't say, obviously.
The electronic AI thing is a joke. I wouldn't expect much correlation between it and the calculators schools use.</p>

<p>Fiddlefrog,</p>

<p>Of the 800 kids in my class, 40 have straight A's. So the first kid to get a B will be ranked number 40. Honors classes and AP classes are weighted, but they only weight 3 of your honors of AP classes in calculating the GPA. I take 6 honors and AP classes while another kid takes 6 regular classes, we can basically end up with the same GPA and class rank.</p>

<p>Thanks for your comments.</p>

<p>i think you have a good shot even though Yale is tough to get into. I've heard of people with better credentials than you get rejected and people with lower credentials get accepted so you should just go for it and see what happens</p>

<p>Ny grl,</p>

<p>Thanks for your encouragement. I'm thinking the same way. An assistant dean of admissions who gave a presentation at my school said that what they try to do is to put together a diverse freshman class. I supposed any place would be boring if you had 1400 clones. I've always prided myself on not being a nerd. While I do well enough in school I've never worked hard, and I'm futunate in that I test well.</p>

<p>Sammie, in the end it comes down to whether you have what they want or not. I don't really think that test scores really play as huge of a role as people think at schools like HYP. Once you're about a certain area, let's say 1400 and above, they see you are a strong candidate academically. It's such a subjective process, so it'll come down to whether the admissions officer reading your application likes you and thinks you will contribute to Yale. That's my take on this whole crazy process...</p>

<p>yea-- and i sure hope it's really that way too :)</p>

<p>Well said.</p>

<p>Thank all of you for you comments, its comforting to hear what other people are thinking.</p>

<p>I wish you could hear what people are thinking in real life...</p>

<p>Yea that would be so great. You could mess with people so easily! And I'd pick the brain of my admissions officer lol.</p>

<p>random q: what is AI??</p>

<p>academic index</p>

<p>hey harpingchic--
can you expand on that a bit?? is that like a rating thing by colleges (which by the way, does anyone know anything on that point system thing?? does yale use it?? do any other colleges use it and which ones??)</p>

<p>any clarifications would be great!! thank you :)</p>