my son got expelled....will colleges rescind him??

<p>My son was involved in a prank at school in which they pretended to be the computer admin and asked a couple of their friends for their passwords.
The school found out and they were dismissed after completing first semester.
He has transferred to a public school for second semester and will graduate from there.
He has already gotten into Purdue, SCU, BU, and Rice.
He has also sent a letter to all the colleges explaining what happened, why he got dismissed, and what he learnt from it.
He is also going to call the admissions offices and talk to them about it too.
Do you think that they will still rescind his admission?</p>

<p>It will depend entirely on the school.</p>

<p>
[quote]
He has already gotten into Purdue, SCU, BU, and Rice

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I have a bigger question...Rice has Early Decision (decisions sent by December 15) and BU has Early Decision (decisions sent by December 15). How is it that your child applied and was accepted to TWO ED schools. The ED contracts are very clear...you can only apply ED to ONE school.</p>

<p>The schools you mention are going to notice that there is a change in schools when you send in your final transcripts. It would be better to be honest about the situation than to hope they don't notice it.</p>

<p>sorry...bu was a mistake...he only applied to rice ed..</p>

<p>My advice stands. Your child got accepted ED to Rice. He needs to make a decision regarding that NOW. I would suggest that someone contact Rice and tell them about the situation. You can say that your son wishes to accept their ED offer of acceptance (I'm not sure you have any choice about that...), but that you need to know if their offer of acceptance is in jeopardy given a recent incident at your son's school. They will tell you...either they will say "no problem"....or they will say "this needs to be reevaluated".</p>

<p>I have no idea what Rice will do.</p>

<p>
[quote]
January 1, 1990 (20)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>According to your profile, you are a 20 year old. How could you still be in high school (like on the other thread you started) OR be the parent of a high school student.</p>

<p>Please clarify.</p>

<p>Yeah, as Thumper says, the first thing is to call Rice. Since it's an ED admission, if they say it's fine you don't really need to worry about the other schools since he already agreed in advance to attend Rice if accepted.</p>

<p>I am using my son's account. He did not put his actual age in the account. He is currently 16.
I contacted man who conducted my son's interview for Rice. He said that the most probable situation is that my son's actions would have to be reevaluated.
What about Purdue? Does he have a shot at not getting rescinded there?</p>

<p>I'm sorry this is happening. There is plenty of tension and stress already around college admissions, and this on top of it must be very painful for your family.</p>

<p>Your son didn't actually get into the high school's computer system, I gather, but only pretended to be someone "officially" asking for the other students' passwords? Kids goof around and do stuff like that, getting each other's passwords and posting fake status updates on Facebook and the like. Was is more something like that, or was there some intent to get information in order to change something or otherwise do something more egregious with that information?</p>

<p>Not that there's any scenario where it was okay to do it, but I can see a very big spectrum there between 'bad' and 'really, really bad.' Hopefully, if it was more stupid than truly duplicitous, that was explained very thoroughly in the letters to the colleges. It's probably impossible for anyone here to predict how it may play out.</p>

<p>Good luck. I hope things turn out okay.</p>

<p>Yes, it was a just a dumb joke that he and a couple other kids played on a few of their own friends.
It only escalated to this level because they were too afraid to tell the truth.
But when it did finally come out, it was unfortunately too late.
They had no malicious intent. They just wanted to fool around and got hit pretty hard.</p>

<p>Someone called bobster00 claiming to be the kid has posted a similar thread in the College Admissions section. Bobster and Mom must be pretty close.</p>

<p>Bobster's posts in the other section were at: 6:02, 6:54, 7:00, 7:05, 7:18, 7:29 and 7:39.</p>

<p>Bobster's alleged Mom's posts in this section were at 6:26, 6:38, 7:04 and 7:27.</p>

<p>I'm so tired of the "Oh I'm using someone else's account/we share an account" So tired of bogus threads by bored children.</p>

<p>Wow, you are a great sleuth, stradmom :)</p>

<p>And most kids think parents (anyone over 40) are clueless.</p>

<p>Your son is 16 and applying to colleges?</p>

<p>maybe you let him become a senior too early...he sounds like he has some growing up to do. Falsely obtaining others' passwords is a huge breach of confidentiality and security.</p>

<p>
[quote]
why he got dismissed, and what he learnt from it

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Just what do people learn from incidents like that? That it sucks to get caught? That faking extreme contrition may get you out of it?</p>

<p>According to Bobster's "mom"</p>

<p>
[quote]
I am using my son's account.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Maybe Bobster learned from his mom that its OK to share passwords and accounts and thereby thought this 'prank' was perfectly OK :D</p>

<p>I'm curoius at what he "learnt" too. What is "learnt"?
I am really hoping he has learned from this incident.</p>

<p>Stradmom, excellent sleuthing on this troll!</p>

<p><<<cough cough="">>>>> Troll alert....when the high school seniors get bored at this time of year, they come to play in the Parents Forum. Now isn't that special? ;)</cough></p>

<p>Kudos to Stradmom...</p>