You mentioned a lot of the tutors come from the local STEM magnet school. I would tell your experience to one of the high school counselors so that they are forewarned so that future high school students aren’t encouraged to work as a tutor for that establishment. Perhaps even let a PTA member or Alumni association member know.
This is really serious and you should not take it lightly. I would do the following - first, make your daughter quit asap. Talk to her friend whose mom works there, and try if both the girls are more forthcoming with details. You have to encourage them and also talk to them about protecting the 7th graders, who are too young to know this. Then, file a complaint to the Franchise and also let your friends and school community know about what you have heard and warn them. I would hate to see young kids get exploited like this when the owner gets away.
The OP’s daughter is no longer working there, fortunately. But the OP rightly wants to protect other vulnerable students.
I would let the principal of the Magnet school know. These are his kids being exposed to this creep.
He is a Mandated Reporter; he will know what to do.
Have your daughter get in touch today… before this creep does something more than just creep kids out.
For the record, you don’t have to be sure of abuse to file a report with protective services. You simply have to be suspicious that minors are in danger. Your daughter is suspicious. Time to act.
The principal and counselors at the high school are mandatory reporters. Start with them.
The MO of many abusers and/or rapists is to start with “creepy”, and then escalate if there is no pushback. I would report this to the police - not as a complaint, but as an FYI. You might be stopping or preventing assaults. If you don’t want to be identified, you may be able send what you have to Crime Stoppers.
You’ve done a great job protecting and taking care of your child. I hope nothing said here makes you doubt that.
I do think you have the right and responsibility to say the following words to both the local police and leadership at the magnet school:
I AM A PARENT IN THE COMMUNITY. I HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING AT XYZ CENTER THAT ARE UNSAFE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE. I HOPE YOU WILL LOOK INTO IT.
These are all statements that are 100% true. These authorities will know what to do.
Be careful about who you tell and what you post. Publicly made “false” accusations can get you in trouble. Stick with the authorities – police, school admin., franchisor if applicable.
Can your D share with the guidance counselor (in writing, if that’s more comfortable for her)?
If the other two young people can share their experiences with a mandated reporter, so much the better.
So proud of your D for listening to her internal radar and saying something, even at personal cost to her.
The person who should be reporting any suspicions is the adult witness, namely, the daughter who worked at the center. The mother’s evidence is attenuated at best. So you can accompany her or whatever, but the testimony is hers not yours. While the owner sounds unpleasant, and may have committed sexual harassment in the workplace, if your daughter was over 18, that was not a criminal offense. If harassment occurred, the chain owner should be notified.
You and she are subject to a slander claim if you state without evidence that this man engaged in improper activity, so reporting should be limited to police and or child services, and based on clearly articulated facts as she recalls them. So ask her to write down what she saw, when and with whom,and turn it over to the authorities.
If the harassment occurred when she was a minor, then she can likely take the claim directly to the police herself, even now.
Not really sure what the problem is. I would talk to the police. Just go there and ask to sit and talk with someone. They will know what to do. I would think your daughter would go with you. Both of you need to stay off social media about this and really limit who you and she tells things to. Like I wouldn’t tell anyone you are doing this. I have no concerns about hers friends mother needing a job. That not your immediate concern
Saying this…many centers take 7th graders etc for one on one tutoring. Nothing creepy about it except for the person.
Why do I say the police instead of the principal? Just don’t know what the connection to the center is. Maybe it’s a buddy of the principal. Then things don’t get reported.
If the police think it’s an issue then they will dig deeper. Maybe they are already looking into something there. They need to stack complaints up to make a case if there is one to make.
Maybe the centers great and he just doesn’t know how to act around kids which of course is a problem.
Plus you will feel better since it’s a load of your chest.
OPs daughter is in the position to help other potential victims, not OP. Everything is pure hearsay and she can’t even get the full story out of her daughter.
I seriously suggest getting a therapist or other professional involved. Maybe call the police and have an officer interview your daughter so this place and person are on their watch list.
We are not professionals in this sort of thing and even those of us who are, cannot give advice on something like this on a forum board. Based on info, you have given us, someone there who knows the ropes on these things should get involved.
The OP wrote…
Am I misreading something? This daughter hasn’t work at this place for a year. Is there any reason to believe she would be seeking employment there again? No.
I am going to offer an alternate suggestion. If this is really still bothering the DD, perhaps she would benefit by talking to a counselor who can help her sort this out. If she feels she should, the daughter could pursue filing a complaint.
Assault trauma can manifest much later in PTSD and other ways. There is also the issue that a pervert might be in practice around minors. Any hint of that should be reported to the authorities so that there can be some watch put on the case.
IMO assuming this isn’t a fake thread, the initial post as written indicates that action is required. DD needs to be the protagonist. In reality, the OP has plenty of posts on CC that have a lot of identifiers, so IMO this is the trigger. Either the OP gets this thread removed or is obligated into follow up.
If this were me, I would contact the police and explain the circumstances and take their advice. I volunteer for a youth sport organization. We had a player convey to another adult she felt uncomfortable with a coach (not her coach) but a guest professional coach.
We notified her parents who felt it was a “misunderstanding” and wanted us to take no action.
We felt compelled to notify the authorities who took it from there and investigated. A determination that was made that no crime was committed. Although, there were many changes to our organization after this including education and training.
Stakes are too high to ignore.
What an odd thread. The OP either can’t or won’t give any specifics. The only concrete detail is a text that says “miss u”, and then the rest of the posters make up what they think happened and offer advice based on their invented hypothetical.
You have a point. I assume there is something more to report besides an innocuous text stating “miss u” if your daughter either can’t or won’t write down more details, OP really has nothing to report at all.
Like others have said, OP has presented no facts. May be something there if creeper acted inappropriately toward minors.
But if he’s just a guy (of any age) that likes 18 year old girls, that is acceptable in our society.