Need suggestions: Wings/Mac and Cheese

<p>S will have his grad party this coming Sunday. He has talked forever about having chicken wings as one of his main entrees (he LOVES his wings!) and has also mentioned wanting to have mac and cheese - another favorite and will work for a few friends/family who are vegetarians. </p>

<p>I'm wondering if I can do mac and cheese in a crockpot somehow. Probably would be more the creamy style rather than the crunchy on the top style. Any suggestions from someone who has done this before? </p>

<p>Also, the wings. Besides ordering them from a local restaurant, any suggestions on how to have larger quantities "ready to go" and serve???? Figure I could do some in a crockpot and maybe a pan or two in the oven. When they are gone, they are gone. But would welcome any suggestions from anyone who has served these in the past for a crowd and for an event that is spread out over a few hours.</p>

<p>I'm tempted to switch the mac and cheese out for cheesy potatoes that I know can be done in a crockpot, but want to try and satisfy the graduate if I can. :)</p>

<p>I haven't tried this Slow</a> Cooker Mac & Cheese recipe, but have it bookmarked for future reference. Sounds good.</p>

<p>Thanks - put it in my allrecipe "recipe box" - I actually had searched there for a recipe but didn't have one come up!</p>

<p>I found one recipe this morning - Trisha Yearwood crockpot mac and cheese:</p>

<p>Full</a> Bellies, Happy Kids: Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese</p>

<p>Buffalo chicken wings keep fine in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the oven or microwave.</p>

<p>I make large pans of mac-n-cheese all the time. It's just as good reheated.
You could get some of those giant disposable aluminum baking pans from the gro. store and make it in advance, then just stick it in the oven to reheat on the day of the party.</p>

<p>My S, who considers himself a mac & cheese connoisseur loves this crockpot version:</p>

<p>1 pkg. (16 oz) elbow macaroni
1/2 c. stick margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 c. milk
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/8 tsp. paprika</p>

<p>Cook macaroni according to directions; drain. Place in crockpot; add margarine.</p>

<p>In a bowl, combine the eggs, evaporated milk, soup, milk and 3 c. cheddar cheese.</p>

<p>Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.</p>

<p>Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Optional: top with bread crumbs or crushed potato chips.</p>

<p>10 servings.</p>

<p>I wonder about the low and slow cooking method used in a crock pot. Doesn't it break down the structure of the macaroni? Just wondering? Does it get a little mushy?
(I would lean towards Packmoms advice, since true mac is all about that top crust.)</p>

<p>You could buy a 12-pack of Annie's at BJs and cook it on the stove-top. It better recreates the college experience.</p>

<p>I recommend buying the big trays of staufffers mac and cheese that you can get at places like BJs. They cook upwell in the oven, and are beloved of everyone, including those of us who make our own and would never use a box mix. :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
I wonder about the low and slow cooking method used in a crock pot. Doesn't it break down the structure of the macaroni?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm not a food chemist, but the macaroni doesn't get too soft. The cheese added at the end gives it a nice firm bite. Although I love the sinful taste of the Stouffer's M&C, I find it has too many preservatives and it makes me pretty wired.</p>

<p>Most of the crockpot mac and cheese recipes have it in the crockpot for 4 hours as opposed to the usual crockpot "8 to 10". So it's not "cooking" so much.</p>

<p>If your family loves mac n cheese, you really should try the recipe posted here: Mac</a> and cheese, cheese, cheese This is from a local gourmet cheesemaker/cafe place, and it is divine! The Costco here sells the Beechers cheese, but you could get by with a white cheddar if you can't get Beechers. (Sorry this is not a crockpot recipe, but it's so amazing I couldn't resist posting!)</p>

<p>For the wings, I would toss them very lightly and leave a portion of them with no sauce.
The "sauced" wings will get soggy if sitting to long. You could get a traditional wing sauce, and maybe another, possibly lemon pepper? along with some ranch and blue cheese dressings for those who don't like their wings drenched or hot to serve on the side.</p>

<p>You could actually just fry the wings and not sauce them at all until reheating them, but -- honestly -- are teenage boys going to care if the wings are soggy? I wouldn't worry about lemon pepper variations for teenage boys either. </p>

<p>I did midnight wings for a high school party once. It's actually too labor intensive to be a good party dish unless you really enjoy deep frying.</p>

<p>Use your local chinese restaurant.</p>