The new Rector was brought in not only to signal a willingness to change the culture but also because she’s eminently qualified AND even better a woman. I think very highly of her and I understand from all my contacts at the school (faculty, students and board) that she is well liked for her forthrightness and transparency. However, it will take more than one year or just one person to change a 164 year history of male dominated culture that was intolerant of weakness or those that spoke of harm or conflict at the school. Because of the wonderful traditions that the school still holds dear, the transition to a fully functional and equal co-educational institution has been super slow in coming. The school is an extraordinary institution and I can honestly say it was the best 3 years of my life but the leadership of the school and board through the years have demonstrated unethical behavior in being unwilling to acknowledge that the school wasn’t always perfect and that bad things happen but must be confronted, not buried. I believe that SPS is on very sound footing but the price of mismanagement and gross misconduct through at least 5 decades is still being addressed and I know that the new Rector is committed to doing so. It is an amazing school with an extraordinary history (mostly good) and prepares its students to succeed in college and be leaders in society.
2 Likes