New Details in the Zimmerman-Martin Controversy

<p>

</p>

<p>Depends on the underlying circumstances and the manner in which that “following” was done. </p>

<p>Martin could reasonably have felt threatened by being followed on a dark February night by a heavyset man…especially considering he wasn’t a uniformed officer and there was no way he could tell whether he was a neighborhood watchman or a local thug out to do him harm. To discount this possibility in such circumstances would be laying expectation of psychic omniscience on Martin which borders on incredulity. </p>

<p>As someone who grew up in 1980’s NYC and found myself confronted with similar incidents in rural Ohio where college classmates and I were followed by cars by local ne’er do wells yelling racial epithets toward me and if with female friends…sexist ones as well…I’m not going to stop to have a friendly chat or to give undue deference to them. </p>

<p>Instead, I’m likely to run or confront them as the situation warrants…especially considering most would have trouble outrunning cars, this was an era before cell phones, and there weren’t many working phone booths nearby.</p>

<p>^^ And then try to explain how Martin ended up several feet away from the sidewalk, and how he came to be laying on his stomach. Z’s story is that Martin was bashing Z’s head on the sidewalk when Z shot him.</p>

<p>Perfectly said, garland (#656). What some posters are ignoring, while making references to “race-baiting” and “rush to judgment” is that there has still not been an arrest. </p>

<p>This morning it was reported that no one has yet interviewed Trayvon’s girlfriend. This appears to be true, because it was also reported that sources from the prosecutor’s office might interview her as early as today. I don’t understand why she hasn’t been interviewed yet.</p>

<p>Well, I hope she has an attorney going with her to the interview.</p>

<p>Did someone already link to this article from yesterday?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/a-native-caste-society.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2[/url]”>http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/a-native-caste-society.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>And, hopefully no one tweets her personal info. I can’t help but recall how the witnesses in the Casey Anthony mess got pressured (or went “media”)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have not ignored it; I’m the one who brought it up. Why do you think there has been no arrest made?</p>

<p>When do we get to see the Coroner’s Report? It’s been a month since the autopsy was completed.</p>

<p>Wouldn’t creating a timeline leading up to the shooting include interviewing the person Trayvon was talking to minutes before the shooting?</p>

<p>“Well, since you asked, my best guess is that the “true” version, if it could be found, would be one in which Zimmerman’s actions were reckless and unreasonable, but not particularly racially motivated.” </p>

<p>I don’t think he was “racially motivated” either. I don’t believe he thought, “Well, here comes a Black kid with a hoodie. Black children with hoodies are up to no good. I’m therefore going to follow him. And shoot him if he is really dangerous.” I do think his thinking was likely tinged with racist thoughts, which wouldn’t be surprising, given our culture generally speaking.</p>

<p>I do think it will be shown the “investigation” or lack thereof in the police department reflected a racist system, or a racist pattern of behavior, whereby people of different races, or victims of crime, are treated differently based on unchallenged prejudices based on their skin color. Hey, even the Sanford Police can’t really contest that - that’s why they brought in a new police chief.</p>

<p>Why did it take so long to identify the victim, when any 12-year-old could have used Trayvon’s cell phone to get that information?</p>

<p>Bay, I wasn’t quoting you in mentioning someone lamenting a “rush to judgment”.</p>

<p>But to address your question–yes indeed, it is puzzling, isn’t it? I’m going to guess, as we’re all doing, that, having been caught with its proverbial pants down, the system is now trying to be extraordinarily careful in its investigation so as to make no (additional) errors, and also attempting to minimize the appearance of inadequate police response/investigation/accountability which has since accrued to the event.</p>

<p>I’m not saying that all that care and attention WILL lead to an arrest, but I think its necessity will slow whateve process is going on from getting to wherever it’s going to go.</p>

<p>I will go out on a limb and say that personally, i think it will lead to an arrest, but, the way things have gone so far, no way to say for sure.</p>

<p>There are so many hot-button questions in this case. The lack of answers figuratively screams “Where was the investigation???” … or if you prefer “What was the Sanford PD thinking at the time?”</p>

<p>Here’s the info on the Cororner’s report:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nothing personal, I am just curious whether ‘incredulity’ is the right word? I might have used ‘the incredible’, but I am not sure.</p>

<p>“I’m going to guess, as we’re all doing, that, having been caught with its proverbial pants down, the system is now trying to be extraordinarily careful in its investigation so as to make no (additional) errors, and also attempting to minimize the appearance of inadequate police response/investigation/accountability which has since accrued to the event.”</p>

<p>I also think this is the likely explanation. And I’m willing to await the results of such an investigation. That doesn’t change the fact that portions of Z’s claims are highly dubious. And it doesn’t change the fact that Sanford PD decided to “pass” on it’s opportunity to do the investigation right the first time. “Identify the victim? Why would we want to do that?”</p>

<p>

I agree with this. I think his suspicions are pretty similar to what the average white person would harbor in the situation, although it makes people uncomfortable to admit that these days. But the fact that he had a loaded gun, and viewed himself as having some kind of role in protecting the neighborhood, caused him to follow the kid rather than avoiding him.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>One theory extrapolated from experiences/observations of myself and dozens of relatives and friends who have had dealings with small town law enforcement:</p>

<p>Once police arrived on the scene, they took Z at his word that he was threatened and justified by SYG and were predisposed to let the matter stand not only because of prior friendly associations with him as neighborhood watch captain, but also as the son of a former judge. </p>

<p>Even when one police detective didn’t believe his account and wanted to arrest him…that ended up being overruled by higher ups in the police department/DA’s for similar reasons. </p>

<p>Leaving race out of it…sounds like the classic “protect the good old boys/scions of community leaders/connected friends” mentality especially common in many small towns and cities with entrenched police departments and/or community leaders who are amenable to being unduly influenced on the basis of wealth, social status, and/or undue political/legal influence.* </p>

<p>Including race into this mess with Sanford’s prior history and recent documented complaints/issues within Sanford’s PD just makes it all worse than its already abysmal state. </p>

<ul>
<li>Observed/heard about this in rural Ohio with how the local cops dealt with some of those harassing racist/sexist/homophobic local ne’er do wells and relatives/friends living in small rural towns where there is a marked difference in how the local police/authorities treated you depending on whether you were favored or not favored by them.</li>
</ul>

<p>I don’t know, Hunt, maybe I’m not the average white person (and maybe living and working in racially diverse circumstances has a saluatory effect), but when I see a black kid in a hoodie, I’m probably seeing one of my neighbors or students, or someone who looks like them. I don’t see a threat, since I know many responsible, friendly young black men, who are likely to be wearing hoodies, as are the many responsible, friendly young white men I also know as students or neighbors.</p>

<p>Familiarity shrinks distrust–we need to know each other better.</p>

<p>Z lived in the neighborhood where Trayvon was shot and the neighborhood was gated, which means it was private. When reporters flocked to the location, the association threatened to have them charged with trespass.</p>