<p>alh, thank you so much, those were very kind words. First of all, if you can imagine it–I know it might be hard–but I am not at all shy about being in control of/overseeing the repairs. I know the septic co well and I know they can do it in a day. Remember, the septic people will take $1,800 at the job and the rest (totaling $4,250 all together) at closing. My bidder’s offer is to take on the septic himself and reduce the price by $15,000.The right ethical choice is clear. I follow completely what you are saying, but truly both the buyer and the buyer’s realtor seem like strange people and sneaky.</p>
<p>Interrupted: my realtor just called to say that the seller and his realtor wanted the price reduction on the septic because the septic fields might be “compromised”, although there is no way of visually inspecting this until you go underground (according to the report she was reading from). From the backyard, the fields are lovely green grass, not mushy or wet or anything. She and I agreed to tell the bidder’s realtor that if, when our team, replaced the septic, if they examine the fields and feel any work is needed, they would do it and we would pay for it. I know I can negotiate with the septic people. </p>
<p>jym626, I don’t know what we are paying for the closing costs; remember, the bidder is being difficult and we have not signed contracts. I believe the realtors’ split $8,000. Our long-time family lawyer will certainly wait for his payment until after the closing. At the closing, aren’t almost all the costs taken on by the buyer? I could look it up on the internet and/or ask my realtor, but right now I don’t know. </p>
<p>About my sister and BIL; yes I believe they have money. To my astonishment, in the middle of all this, she wants to come and visit and bring her best friend.My mother was healthy for three years and she did not visit. I told her the house might be post-estate sale and basically empty (god willing we get that far, considering how now we are quibbling about the septic system), and she said they could stay in the one nice B&B we have in our town. Is it because she wants to see my mother? I have no clue. Perhaps this is hard-hearted of me, but they would be better off sending our mother the cost of the airfare and the B&B. I do so hate to think I might offend someone by saying this, but my sister and her husband are fans of Rush Limbaugh. As two couples, we couldn’t possibly be more different. I am tolerant and not “big on views” but things matter to me, and though we avoid touchy subjects as much as possible, we have to be very careful with them. $9,000 was her peculiar number, and if she wants to send that, that’s fine. </p>
<p>My husband caught my terrible cold and like with all his colds it turned into a sinus infection; today he went to the MD for his SECOND visit and got a stronger anti-biotic. So I was able to ask him, Why did you apply for a personal loan AND a home equity loan? His reply was, Because that is what the banker suggested. When I’m done here I’m going to ask him to call the banker or do it myself. Remember he is determined not only to be paid back in full, but interest, too.</p>
<p>travelnut I have to paste you in to reply:</p>
<p>DW- isn’t your mother due to have her pacemaker installed today? How strong is she this week in rehab? Is it best for her to come home or return to rehab if allowable? Are you all set with the AL apps you need to have in to ensure a prompt placement?</p>
<p>If there is any pot of cash available to let her go to an available AL bed, that is where she should go ASAP. It seems like things are going in so many directions simultaneously that it could be hard to retain the momentum towards the prize. Before seeking loans, since you have this buyer who wants the house in hand (pending ensuring pre-approval for mortgage), I would be awaiting the oil tank assessment and then working hard with the realtor to allow the deal to transpire. As others say, oil tank issues have to be known and addressed for any prospective buyer and the sooner the deal closes the better for all. Your first prospective buyer could be the best buyer and it would be a shame to lose the deal and re-set the clock over a “small” amount of money. Not saying to accept a price reduction three times the amount of the repairs necessarily, but I would be keeping my cool, not assuming the worst intent and seeking a closing. A bit of pack and forth is inevitable between buyers and sellers.</p>
<p>My mother had her pacemaker installed yesterday and stayed overnight in the hospital. After I left the house this morning, the hospital called to say they were sending her back to Somers Manor instead of home because of her age and general condition. So you are exactly right; they assessed her as needing rehab. So Barbara made the 3 hour trip from Brooklyn for nothing. As I wrote above, we will pay her for the day and I bought her ticket back to brooklyn. Many other women would complain but she is so good-natured.</p>
<p>Yes, despite his orneriness, we want this buyer, but the AL placements aren’t so easy.MDSs and nurses have to do exams and fill out forms; each AL has its own forms. Directors are not returning my emails or phone calls about openings and I am driving all over the place. I have the 35 page admission package with downpayment ready for Fed Ex to come to the door today to pick up. But the other ALs/openings I have to keep at them and track them down. And tomorrow I have to bring clothes to my mother.</p>
<p>But the AL ten minutes away from my town, the admissions officer never returns my calls or emails, I am going to leave a voice mail this afternoon after I call the bank.</p>
<p>I feel very grateful for the advice about not cosigning. I don’t know where my head is at. I do things like write down my phone number for someone and leave out the area code. Yesterday. delivering pizza to my daughter’s tennis team, I swear I was completely looking from every angle, but I hit a truck parked in the parking lot. My husband’s car has a big dent on the back corner when I got out to examine things. Buthe first thing I did was rush to the truck to see if there was any damage. Thank God there was not even a scratch. I wasn’t overseen by anyone, but I got the coach from where the girls were playing tennis and had him examine the truck and he agreed there was certainly no damage (the girl who owned the truck was playing a game). I told him to tell her if she and/or her parents were at all concerned, to call me. </p>
<p>Off to call the bank and the ALs…</p>