Newbie questions about 24/7 caregivers: legal questions, etc.

<p>jym, you may be right, but the person who bought my mother’s house told our Realtor that she was buying for cash, before a contract was ever written. Before she even traveled from her state to my mother’s to see the house. She felt that it would make her offer more attractive, and she was right.</p>

<p>But of course every home sale is unique.</p>

<p>Of course it is an advantage. And for those planning to finance preapproval is of course beneficial. Just saying that assuming all that negative stuff isnt helpful.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It is very bad and disappointing. But it’s not carelessness and negligence – it’s lack of seriousness. He’s not behaving like a serious buyer, which tells you that he’s probably not a serious buyer. It’s past time to bring other potential buyers back in.</p>

<p>Yes, discuss a price reduction with the agent. And then ask her what she’s going to do to start aggressively marketing the house. Simply changing the price on the MLS isn’t enough. Has she been having open houses every weekend? If not, she needs to start doing that NEXT weekend, and EVERY weekend until there’s a contract. Has she advised you about staging (decluttering, depersonalizing, culling furniture, sparsely filled closets and cupboards)? Has she put the house on the weekly realtor’s tour (this is a biggie)? Are there professional photos on the listing (not snaps from her phone, but photos taking by a professional photographer)? What about videos? </p>

<p>

[quote]
I am getting totally confused by your numbers. The counter from them is $215, not 115, right?. And my post you are referencing is #369, not 626 (thats my screenname). And you said earlier that your septic repair was $5K. Later you said it was $4230. This is hard to follow.[/guote]</p>

<p>If I said septic, I meant oil tank, sorry for the confusion. The tank repair was estimated at $5K–that I believe is when I used that figure–but the actual dollar estimate came in at $4,230.</p>

<p>“Carelessness and negligence are again” wrong and just a sign of my writing while being worried and not being mindful. </p>

<p>jym626

[quote]
I hesitate to point this out, having been previously jumped on for pointing out critical language (that you denied using),{/quote]</p>

<p>Many apologies, jym626, I can scroll back and look for it, but I don’t remember at all jumping on you for using critical language and then denying it. If I did, it was thoughtless and stress-provoked and bad behavior. If I have done so, please accept my apologies If fact, last night you pointed out how I needed to be more careful in my thinking and choice of words, and I thanked you for the advice. That is in post 371, a page back. Yes, I see that I referred to quote 626 when I meant 361. Please reread post 371 where I thank you for helping me very much. Also, thank you for pointing out that yesterday was Yom Kippur.</p>

<p>Yesterday I had a chance to look at comps, and was surprised that sales looked good. Many village houses were marked as Sold or Under Negotiation and the prices were good. One nice victorian was sold for $165,000.</p>

<p>I wrote to my realtor suggesting a price reduction and thank you LaMas, I wrote to her about your ideas. I asked her her thoughts on making it prominent on the listing that the house is being sold “as is” and not referring to the septic. LF, if I am correct, you first referred to that strategy. After my daughter’s piano lesson I will look harder at your idea of offering a credit on the septic and relate that to my realtor.</p>

<p>You will be surprised, but because of our cash crunch, I told her I was willing to bring down the price radically–to $135,00, and then it may be good to say simply “the septic needs work.” But without a doubt, the house will have no soil problems and a new oil tank.</p>

<p>Should have mentioned this earlier. Several of you suggested a tactic. I also asked the realtor’s advice on this. I asked her for her thoughts of giving the buyer a deadline of Wed at 5 pm for a price and a closing deal, or negotiations were off.</p>

<p>Looking forward to your thoughts.</p>

<p>$135? I think you mean $235.</p>

<p>“As-Is” is a default in NYS, from what I now read. Your agent will explain, as you pass through different stages. </p>

<p>But again, 135k? or a typo? (Use the Preview button to check before posting.)</p>

<p>No point in calling off discussions. Just change the tenor. You have nothing on-deck to replace Bidder A! Maybe he comes through, maybe he doesn’t, but you keep other irons in the fire (with the appropriate moves to keep attention on the house.) We all know one option is to draw your line in the sand. You’re down to 220 or 215, no going lower. He can talk you to death, distract you ad infinitum! If he wants to offer a contract and deposit and it’s a few dollars less, you cross that bridge when you come to it.</p>

<p>I don’t think you’re going to get weekly open houses or agent walk-throughs. You’ll hear your agent’s reaction, either way. But it isn’t customary for this price range or so much in the NE. </p>

<p>Cleaning out too-personal traces of the present owner- yes. Remove photos, notes on the refrig, have nice towels out, de-clutter kitchen counters and flat spaces elsewhere. You don’t want it to look like a senior citizen lived comfortably there. You want a family or young couple to relate.</p>

<p>After you post, for up to 15 minutes, you can hover under the post number and click the gear icon to allow editing or corrections. (I think you’ve done this before.)</p>

<p>And, with the Jan changes to CC, they asked we not quote whole, lengthy passages. Usually, an excerpt or one key passage works fine. If needed, forget the fancy shaded-box formatting and just use old fashioned quote marks, as on a typewriter. </p>

<p>Why would you tell a potential buyer that negotiations are off if you have not only not other offers, but no other lookers? Do you really want to drive them away? They may be getting financing lined up or may be waiting to hear the results or the tank removal. Who knows.There should be a better strategy to move the discussion to contract. LET THE REALTOR make the suggestions and push it along with the other realtor. This should be her area of expertise. I would assume if you give a price that you will accept ($215 if they do the septic) then you can get a contract. Right now you have not offered a price they agree to.</p>

<p>As for local sales looking good, the market drives ebb and flow. School has now started, those other homes may be on some sweet cul de sac or have small but attactive upgrades or anything. Comps are just a start. </p>

<p>Looks like we cross posted, LF. Agree that de-cluttering is important in showing a home. Also, many suggest to have something with a nice cinnamon aroma so it smells like you’ve been cooking. these are very basic things in sselling a house these days. Your agent should have advised these things. Do they do realtor caravans up there? What is she doing to promote the house? </p>

<p>We shopped for our first house when I was pregnant-I could not handle the food smells at many open houses as a result!</p>

<p>Declutter, keep lines of communication open, avoid ultimatums, lower price, only mild scents in the house.</p>

<p>A lowered price sends the message to anyone looking at listings that you are open to negotiation, are not entrenched or rigid. This in itself may bring a timid buyer around for a look.</p>

<p>Great news to report. While I was at my daughter’s piano lesson, the realtor called to tell met that the buyer wants to buy the house, and has agreed to our asking price, $220,000. I am so happy and relieved. The buyer will sign a contract and it will be sent to my lawyer and I will sign with my role of durable power of attorney,</p>

<p>Yes, of course, the $135,000 was a typo. And I’m sorry my text above came out all darkened. I thought I had previewed, but obviously I made a mistake.</p>

<p>The realtor did point out that if people are looking at houses until the contracts are sold, the house is still on the market for $250,000.</p>

<p>Not complaining at all, but once contracts are signed I face the challenge of clearing out the house. Estate sale, dump, and anything worth keeping that doesn’t sell at the Estate Sale goes to the auctioneer who auctioned my MILs belongings. </p>

<p>jym626, I sent you a PM at 10:15 this morning.</p>

<p>Any special tips or ideas about emptying a house would be most welcome. But I see it as a simple time-consuming no-brainer.</p>

<p>There is something I want to share. I visited my mother in the NH yesterday with two of my daughters.She was pleasant and didn’t talk about going home at all. I think she likes the protective atmosphere of the NH. I certainly didn’t tell her she is going straight to AL from the NH; the SW said she will do that but obviously hasn’t yet. But we are scheduled for a care assessment meeting on Wed at 3 at which I will be present. I do not want the SW to tell my mother about the move while I am at the table. I am going to leave her to voice mail that if she finds it good judgment, to tell my mother tomorrow so that she has two days to get adjusted to the idea before we meet.</p>

<p>Also, because I know she will insist on going to the house to pick out items she wants to go with her, I am not going to tell her about the agreement on the house until after she understands that she is going to Assisted Living straight from the NH. I have a very clear idea of what she wants to go with her.</p>

<p>Great news about the buyer!</p>

<p>Dharma, congratulations. That is great news.</p>

<p>You asked this:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have made a suggestion about this several times, and it seems you have not seen it. Understandable, because you’ve had a lot going on.</p>

<p>Now I am going to make the suggestion one more time. Please pay attention this time, because it will save your sanity. </p>

<p>Engage a Senior Move Manager. If your realtor doesn’t have a referral, then go [url=<a href=“https://www.nasmm.org/find/?]here[/url”>https://www.nasmm.org/find/?]here[/url</a>].</p>

<p>Moving is overwhelming under the best of circumstances, but moving an elderly parent is a waking nightmare. Please don’t try to do it yourself. Get a professional.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info, LasMa. I will take your advice and go to the link and not forget it this time. Thank you for understanding my mind being overwhelmed. I spent Friday working on all the steps to “unemploy” Barbara and still have to undue the IRS, State, Federal, workman’s comp, and disability insurance. Tomorrow.</p>

<p>DD2 and I are going over to the house to empty the fridge - take the good food- discard the bad food (trash is picked up tomorrow) and take the spices. And my husband desperately needs a can opener.</p>

<p>Great news. Will be interesting to see the contract when it is signed. This usually goes attorney to attorney in NY At least that was my experience). Do you have a real estate attorney?</p>

<p>Dharmawheel – Great news on the contract.</p>

<p>Suggestion: DO NOT mention the house sale to your mom at all right now. There is no need to do so; you have POA. Get her settled INTO assisted living, and don’t bring her into this process. </p>

<p>Deleted</p>

<p>Oooh, great suggestion, arabrab.</p>

<p>Dharma, good @ Senior Move Manager. And you’ll want to engage one sooner rather than later; don’t wait until a week before moving day. They are much more than a packing/moving service.</p>

<p>Great news on the house. Use whatever resources are available to you to get the house cleaned out. It would be impossible to get this done in a timely, and manageable, manner without assistance.</p>