Non-traditional (24yo), International transfer, finance

Hey here its me being honest. I am a brazilian student and begining my studies in finance. This will be my first year. I have done one year of engineering but found out it wasnt really for me. I am leaning more towards the mathematical aspect of studies and I like problem solving. I really am a mathematical dude but have intrests in chemistry and physics all though I didnt like engineering.Recent years I have reflected about what I really want and it is to work in finance or begin my business . The only job I would like to have would be at finance institutes where the salary is higher . Otherwise I would like to have a entrepeneur hustle. I believe and many have said diferent that my success oportunities are high at these top universities. Isnt this true? Besides if I start a business or get a job wont I have more leverage on living in the US?I will be applying to 2027 if my grades are high.

These are my actual stats:

Did 1 year of engineering.Low grades.I fear if this will affect even though my love for the course was not so great..

I will begin a new course .First year and my admission will depend on how good are my grades.

Some of the Ecs I told are not yet made.This is why I was questioning if I do them well could I get into elite colleges.Even though some say its impossible I need some guidance to know in which way should I put my efforts

Ecs

Poker professional with 10 k in winnings

Tennis college level

Youtube channel about business and education with 20 k subscribers

Helped low income students get into university.Teached math physics reading chemistry.5 students got into university.Is it possible to get LOR?

Finance club member .Learned about finance and taught new members about it.Active participation

Finance internship mergers and aquisition.LOR from boss

Finance research at university with professor LOR

Maybe startup.No ideas yet

Top 1 in national exam.Able to get in medical school for the best university in Brazil

My questions are about if it is really advantagous to do a elite college in USA knowing that I have entered in Brazil.From my point of view its worth it.For my career path it makes sense.

For those who dont understand I did not enter my university at 18.I had some mental issue and on top of that the loss of a brother.Those years spent in the pandemic where to get my mental state in good shape.Till two years ago I couldnt have a busy routine which affected me being able to attend a undergraduate course.

And last what universities would you match me up with?

No idea - don’t know your grades, rigor or most importantly how much money you have to spend.

Full pay

So what are the courses you took - math, language, social science, science.

What is your GOA, your SAT etc? You shared nothing but ECs

There are colleges in the U.S. that turn no one down. But you have to meet minimum standards

Just because you study finance though doesn’t guarantee you more money.

And if you are not a U.S. Citizen, it’s highly unlikely you will stay here.

I ama just asking if the ecs are ok ?and the other questions if you could give me an overview.I am not american

I did an national exam here.Even though I prefer much more the education in the US,the national exam here is much tougher than SAT.I believe I could get a high score in math.Reading and writing I just took an overview but with training at least 700

Many don’t care about ECs

Not sure what college level tennis means. That you just play or you are on a top team.

I’m sure you have enough there to work but they are less relevant to you getting into a school.

Again…you need grades and a list of courses you’ve taken.

You’ve really provided nothing.

Ok its that brazilian universities are really diferent than american universities.We enter the university for one course and we dont have the time to choose another.But I had mostly math classes and lessons about acounting and private law.Its tottaly a diferent type of course

You will need to have an American college evaluate your transcript to let you know if you are eligible.

But ECs are the least of impact.

Your transcript and ability to pay will drive where you attend.

Even for top universities?

ECs are always secondary to academics. I don’t see any that you have that stand out. But nonetheless, it’s your academics that matter most.

You’ve shared zero.

So

Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Sorry .But your comentary was confusing.My ecs are bad?They add zero?Could you explain yourself?Like what would be a good Ec?

Without fantastic grades on your transcript, your EC’s really won’t matter.

2 Likes

But like for these elite schools besides top grades I will need Ecs right?

As per your other post, you are a transfer student. What are my chances?What should I add? [international transfer student]

US universities are very strict about rules. You need to advise any US university that you are not a first year student. If you neglect to mention this, and apply as a new student freshman, they will eventually find out. They immediately expel students and send this information to a National Clearing House. Your name and information is flagged and disseminated to any and all US colleges where you attempt to apply.

Be honest with your information to all colleges and universities. When you electronically sign your US applications, you are signing that all of the provided information is true to the best of your ability.

If your goal is to live and work in the US, this will be difficult. You need to assume that you will return to your home country after graduation. Immigration laws and rules have changed and are strict.

Work on your written English language skills. Your spelling and grammar need work. Yes, the universities will give you some leeway as an international student, but if it’s too frequent in your writing, those elite schools have thousands of international applicants who write perfectly in English.
Additionally, Finance and business majors are plentiful, so employers have their choice of US students, who don’t need sponsorships nor OPT paperwork.
Is it worth it? That’s on you and your family’s budget. No guarantees that you will get into any elites. They expect almost perfect stats and abilities. Those schools are small. The seats are already filled at those schools by young high school professional level: athletes, celebrities, musicians, artists, and children of billionaire philanthropists. You have to hope that someone transfers out to make space for you.
If you want to apply, that’s your decision.

Yeah I agree with you.My english isnt the best.I do have good spelling .I dont train english for a while but its nothing that with 16 months could improve

But if Im able to acomplish this good grades and the Ecs I am proposing my chances could be near elite.Tennis college level is a example.

What about uchicago is it more accesible?

“I understand the dificulties.but making a business for example couldnt it make possible stayin more time at US ?Or even if I get a job,isnt it possible that my boss could hire me for more time?Anad with these kind of elite colleges make my success easier?”

The US is strict about rules. That’s the one thing you need to learn.
You cannot get a job without sponsorship.
The US does not lack for American citizens who have business degrees from the elite colleges. That’s your first assumption error. Why do you expect to be hired? Your American “boss” cannot hire you because that’s illegal. If you are not a US citizen, you are limited by US immigration rules.

When you attend a US university, the US government issues you a student visa. It’s not a work visa. Students can work limited hours, on campus with a student visa. A work visa often takes years and requires sponsorship by a US company.

2 Likes

All of the 4000+ US colleges and universities follow the FEDERAL US immigration rules.

1 Like