NYC Public Advocate Releases Report on LGBT Access to Public Healthcare

<p>This is an email that I received yesterday, with a copy of a press release announcing that the NYC Public Advocate, Betsy Gotbaum, has released her report ([a</a> copy of which](<a href=“http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/documents/LGBThealthrecsreportfinal_pdf.pdf]a”>http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/documents/LGBThealthrecsreportfinal_pdf.pdf) can be found at the Public Advocate’s website), concerning the problems that LGBT people face in accessing public healthcare in New York City, and giving various recommendations for trying to solve those problems.</p>

<p>I had the privilege of being at least somewhat involved in the preparation of this report earlier this year when I was still on the NYC Bar Association’s LGBT Committee; I gave my comments to several drafts, and I participated in a telephone conference concerning the draft report with Ms. Gotbaum, representatives of her office, and representatives of various LGBT advocacy groups. I strongly advocated the idea (included in the report) of designating an LGBT liaison person at each facility, with prominent displays in waiting rooms and other public areas giving information about the availability of that person, so that any problems that do arise can (hopefully) be taken care of quickly by someone familiar with LGBT issues and the facility’s nondiscrimination obligations.</p>

<p>I think it’s a great report, and certainly raises a lot of issues that are important to many people (whether or not they live in the New York area) so I thought I’d post about it in case anyone’s interested in taking a look at it. </p>

<p>The email and the press release (which can also be found at [12.10.08</a> LGBT HHC](<a href=“http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/12.10.08LGBTHHC.htm]12.10.08”>http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/12.10.08LGBTHHC.htm)) are reproduced below.</p>

<p>I have to admit that I’m sort of proud of having made at least some small contribution to this. (No, I’m not being humble – it was small!)</p>

<p>Donna</p>

<p>From: S----
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:23 PM
To: Donna
Subject: FW: NEWS: PA Gotbaum: LGBT New Yorkers Lack Adequate Health Care</p>

<p>Dear Donna and [the former chairman of the LGBT Committee],</p>

<p>The Public Advocate’s LGBT health access report was released today. Thank you for your support in putting the report together. The final press release and the report are now posted on our website (see the link below) and I have also pasted the text at the bottom of the e-mail (the report is attached). I will send you a hard copy of the report shortly. Please feel free to circulate the report and/or press release to your network. </p>

<p>[12.10.08</a> LGBT HHC](<a href=“http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/12.10.08LGBTHHC.htm]12.10.08”>http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/12.10.08LGBTHHC.htm)</p>

<p>Happy Holidays! </p>

<p>S----
Senior Policy Analyst
Office of the Public Advocate</p>

<p>

</p>