Just received this from the Olin Admission Office:
I am very pleased share application numbers are in for the Class of 2020 and we have succeed in attracting a record pool of 1292 applications! A huge thank you to everyone in the community that helped build this diverse and talented pool- from the students who give campus tours, to faculty sitting on panels, to parents mingling at our open houses and everything in between.
A few points of note:
· The pool is 20% larger last year’s record pool of 1073 and boasts a 67% increase in applications over the last four years.
· The number of women applying to the Olin Class of 2020 increased by 33% over the applicants to the Class of 2019 and by 88% over the last four years.
· The representation of students from racial and ethnic backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in STEM is also on the rise, with the number of underrepresented minority students increasing by 63% over last year and doubling in the last four years.
· Similar to last year, 47 states are represented by our applicant pool- we are only missing North and South Dakota and Wyoming. CA, MA, NY, NJ, and TX still make up the top 5 states.
· The applicant pool includes students applying from 43 countries, up from 36 last year, with China, India, Korea, and Brazil sending the most applications.
The admission staff and a number of faculty and staff readers will review applications through the remainder of January, and we will extend invitations to Candidates as early as possible in February. Candidates’ Weekends for the Class of 2020 will take place February 19-20, 26-27, and March 4-5.