Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>chintzy, I just booked D with a late flight home because I really didn’t want to wait until she has her class schedule.</p>

<p>theAnalyst
Your prom story hurts.
And I bet you a million bucks he has felt horrible about himself ever since. It is clear he liked you but peer pressure made him so he could not be seen with you on a “date”. If he <em>doesn’t</em> feel like a scmuck for life, then best he showed his true colors anyway.</p>

<p>Not sure what is happening on the prom front here. Can’t get anything out of my kid. He has not asked anyone yet and is peeved with me for suggesting that it may be too late given the prom is this weekend and a girl has got to get a dress. When WILL I learn to keep my mouth shut</p>

<p>Maybe he’s planning on asking a girl who was going to go stag to the prom anyway, so would already have a dress, #theorymom. </p>

<p>D planning on 2 proms at our house. She was already planning on going to the prom with a group of buddies (some who will be couples, some singles), so had already ordered a dress (which won’t come until the week of prom–eek!). </p>

<p>Now, she has been asked by a nice young man from another high school if he could take her to both proms–his and hers. This 2-fer thing is something that I hadn’t seen before.</p>

<p>So now he’ll join her group for her prom; she will join his group for his prom.</p>

<p>All right, parents. She said that she and this boy “are going out on dates, but are not dating.” Please explain that to me!</p>

<p>Kids are much more “casual” about prom these days than when I was in HS, thank goodness. No date ie guy asking a girl meant no prom. And stories like theAnalyst were unfortunately pretty common. My d has a bf, but she is going with a group of kids and I assume he will be in the group! Last weekend was my nephews prom and he found out a girl he knew wasn’t going a few days before so they wound up joining a group, went and had a great time.</p>

<p>I like the modern day prom. Back in the old days, if a girl didn’t get asked, she didn’t go to the prom. Of course, everyone worked to get everyone else a date to the prom, so we ended up going in large groups anyways.</p>

<p>ellemenope^^ It’s taken me years of quizzing my kids, but I have learned that in our area, if a couple is “going out” it means the same thing as going steady back in my day. If they’re hanging out together and going out, they’re “talking”. It makes no sense to me!</p>

<p>Going prom dress shopping with D2 after she gets home from practice. PLEASE wish us good luck in finding something!!! This could be painful! ;)</p>

<p>Best of luck!!! Is your D really picky or hard to fit?</p>

<p>Son JUST asked the girls he is dating to prom on Friday. Apparently it’s all in the creative asking. I told him that I think it would be doubly creative to just look the girl in the eye and ask her to go. Nope… he made a utube video and baked her a cake. In the video he said something like… turn around now and he was there with a cake that said, “prom?” So in truth, HE never asked her directly. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Hope the marriage proposals get more personal as this generation gets there.</p>

<p>missypie: both! She is 5’8", about 100 lbs, wears a 0 that will need to be taken in. Someone described her as tall and lanky! She is also a fashion diva. Girls wear long not short around here.</p>

<p>Do you have Windsor stores up there? They have some really tiny sizes.</p>

<p>No Windsor stores. We are heading to a bridal shop today. She has already been to three other ones. She loves her older sister"s dress but it is a size 6 and I think too large to be altered due to the special feaures. I’m afraid she has the image of that dress in her head and will be disappointed if she doesn’t find something that “WOWS” her.</p>

<p>NorthMinnesota. My daughter is exactly the same size, but has grown from size 0 to size 2 as she’s gotten more feminine in her figure but does not seem to have gained weight. Not sure how. Last year, I took her to TJ Maxx and found a beautiful, sexy but not revealing long gown for $59 in teal – she has blue eyes that look great with that color. We found TJ Maxx and Marshall’s to be best for her size because they get the leftovers from other stores and no one else fits that size. Do they exist in your neighborhood? Otherwise, you can find her size at super-expensive places and occasionally at places like Macy’s. But TJ Maxx is best.</p>

<p>I am generally the one who takes her shopping – her mom doesn’t have the patience required to shop with an adolescent girl. As a dad, I can’t go in the dressing room. Once, the mother of a friend took her shopping. She said that basically at the size of our daughters, virtually any dress looks good on them; even a burlap sack would look good. So, all the other girls see my daughter looking in the mirror and say, Wow, what a good looking dress. I’ll try it on. Apparently, the dress doesn’t look as good on some of them.</p>

<p>Prom is kind of a strange thing here. Small school == slim pickings. geek_son invited his prom date as a friend/little sister several months ago, when they were commiserating over their respective love lives. She’s young, very pretty, about as flighty as they come, and a terrible flirt. And soon after they made their arrangements… she got a boyfriend. :eek: Talks about the boyfriend incessantly, but still flirts with every guy around. When I asked him why he didn’t renege and ask one of his closer (and still dateless) gal friends, he said that she’s too excited about going and he doesn’t want to let her down.</p>

<p>Very few guys at his school actually go through the motions of formally asking a girl to a dance. At most, it’s, “Hey, are you going to [Homecoming/Valentine/Prom]? Wanna go together?” When a girl asked geek_son to be her date at the Sadie Hawkins dance last year, they agreed to show up separately, meet at the dance, and go their separate ways afterward! Kids do the group thing a lot, and girls or guys will sometimes go together in pairs or packs. It’s more about being there with their friends than a “date.”</p>

<p>Two of his guy friends formally asked their freshman sisters to this year’s prom. So sweet. :)</p>

<p>H lost his job today–position eliminated. For some reason we didn’t see it coming at all except as a vague theoretical risk. I had a boss who used to love to say “NG” when something bad happened. That stood for Not Good. That about sums it up.</p>

<p>geek_mom: “It’s more about being there with their friends than a “date.””
This may be better. It’s difficult for a boy to ask a girl for prom when that girl belongs to the same cozy group of boys and girls for a while. It’s also difficult for a boy to ask someone else outside of the group and ignore people in the group.</p>

<p>Oh no, TheAnalyst, that is frightening news. You’ve definitely had more than any family should have in these last couple of months. I hope the silver lining is apparent quickly.</p>

<p>Vent, cry, scream away here…</p>

<p>TheAnalyst - I am sorry to hear too.</p>

<p>TheAnalyst, that stinks, to put it mildly. Your family has had more than its share lately.</p>

<p>Ironically, I had quit my job in Feb. 2008 because I thought I had saved enough to take an early retirement. Then the bottom fell out of the market and our savings took a huge hit. I was lucky enough to get some part-time contract work beginning in February 2009, but what I do is market dependent and the market is dead right now so my opportunities are limited. He is also in the securities business, so double jeopardy.</p>

<p>The good news is that the kids won’t be affected. I made sure anything they would need for college and grad school was in the bank and invested securely before I quit.</p>

<p>We will just have to take this one step at a time. H assumes he will not be able to find work in our area and I think he is right about that, so we are likely looking at a move, assuming he can get anything at all. He was teasing S2 at the dinner table that he would start his job search in Morgantown, WV. S2 was horrified of course. It’s good that he is keeping his sense of humor.</p>

<p>S1 goes to court on May 4 for his attack. Hopefully, that will go well.</p>