Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>Wow, TheAnalyst… when it rains, it pours. Sending thoughts and prayers your way for all to work out for the best. What’s that line in The Sound of Music – When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. I hope it’s a great big bay window with beautiful stained glass and a nice cushy seat in front of it!</p>

<p>As to prom and your looking forward to reading others’ highs and lows… I can accommodate that! I have a question for all. geek<em>son told me today that he’d approached frosh</em>date’s mom to inquire about flowers (as in, would she like a wrist corsage or one that gets pinned on?) and frosh<em>date’s mom said she’s already purchased them. Now, this is a guy who, when he made the formal “ask,” presented this non-love-interest with chocolate, a book they’d been talking about, and a bouquet he’d arranged himself – in other words, not one to leave the details hanging and require bailing out by a mom. frosh</em>date’s mom also said they (she and her daughter) had been talking about how it would be neat to go with a group and rent a limo, but the group that frosh_date had been talking with “fell through.”</p>

<p>My question is, and especially for moms of young ladies, does this strike anyone else as presumptuous or just flat-out weird? I feel like telling her to back the heck off – it’s not her daughter’s prom, that will come three years from now and then she can meddle and fidget all she wants, but in the meantime she ought to just settle down and be happy that the young lady got an invitation (the only way freshmen can attend) from a young man she felt comfortable with. Especially given the circumstances! Am I over-reacting?</p>

<p>theAnalyst, so sorry for the bucket of woes that has hit your family recently. The one thing I pick up from your posts is the closeness of the family which is a blessing. Hope this turns out to have a silver lining in a dark cloud.</p>

<p>I do have perspective that this isn’t at all on the same level of TheAnalyst’s crisis, but…with just days to go to decision day, we now have added a school to the conversation, and it’s a UC so son will have to get his grades up a little or they’ll rescind.</p>

<p>I’m hesistant to go there, what if he doesn’t do well these last few weeks and gets rescinded with no options?</p>

<p>IS. THIS. EVER. GOING. TO. BE. DONE.???//</p>

<p>cpeltz - do you get the feeling he is trying to sabotage himself?</p>

<p>cpeltz: I would call the admissions office at the UC and see what they say. Let them have a conversation directly with the guidance counselor at S’s school. I would try to get something definitive at this time.</p>

<p>Not sure in this instance he’s trying to sabotage himself, in fact, I think he sees a solution to the dilemma of having two good options, neither of which he’s excited about.</p>

<p>Problem is his first semester grades which may be cause for a rescinding of his acceptance at the UC. He’s written a letter asking for forgiveness but hasn’t heard, and we didn’t pursue it because I understood the 3.0 senior year gpa requirement to be unweighted. Since most of his classes are honors/AP, he could get the weighted grades up. </p>

<p>Both he and I will be busy tomorrow trying to see if it’s a possibility…and if he decides to go there and DOESN’T get the grades up (it’s only two classes up one grade…he says that’s no problem, of course I could go off on that - if it’s that easy why oh why are we having this conversation?), then he has no options come fall. </p>

<p>It will all work out, I’m confident. But.</p>

<p>^^
I hear ya sweetie</p>

<p>geek-mom Yes very weird but not a big problem. Just smile and say how lovely. Then be thankful that your son won’t marry the girl.</p>

<p>TheAnalyst, so sorry about your husband’s job loss. It could happen to so many of us without warning at any time. Sounds like you have made great financial decisions, however. If it had happened to me, Son could still go away to school, but to choice # 2 or #3, rather than to his more expensive first choice.</p>

<p>TheAnalyst, really sorry about your husband’s job loss. I’m sure things will work out. Many years ago, I lost my job followed by DH’s company completely closing about 6 months later. And that’s why we moved to OH. So the WV threat should be considered real cause you never know where you’ll end up ;)</p>

<p>Geekmom, I think that’s downright pushy and obnoxious. On the other hand I think your son needs to deal with this himself – already have 1 parent meddling and the double down strategy probably won’t do any good.</p>

<p>Oh, the Analyst, I’ve been away from CC for a couple of days–so sorry about your husband’s job. You guys have been through ENOUGH! :frowning: </p>

<h1>Theory, oh shoot–he won’t go with a group or anything?</h1>

<p>Cpeltz, I agree with the suggestion to contact the UC–I would think that his AP classes would be an important factor in their decision–rigor is important.</p>

<p>Geekmom, that seems a little pushy–sounds like she’s more excited than her daughter. I have to order 2 wrist corsages today for sons 2 and 3. #2 is taking one of his best friends, who showed me her lovely dress Sunday. Son #3 (frosh) is taking an older woman! aye yi yi…</p>

<p>geek-mom: Another vote same as above. Downright pushy and obnoxious. He can say, “Oh, that’s okay. i’ve already made plans.” He can even say this about the corsage. One is definitely not supposed to buy the corsage yourself. And I wonder if she got something for him? That is her job.</p>

<p>I’d just go ahead and buy what he wanted to. Girls here took them apart and put them in their hair.</p>

<p>When DS went the prom theme was kept secret for those that like secrets. My kids never have, so I told them. His bf went with a frosh and she kept squealing, “I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know.” Her mother even came over to me and said, “I’ve been telling everyone to make sure X doesn’t find out the theme. Be sure to remind your son.”</p>

<p>I said, “Well, I’m not going to bother him with that because it isn’t her prom. He’s the senior.”</p>

<p>Well, all I can say is that I’m lucky I’m still alive and looks can’t kill. Not sorry I did though.</p>

<p>a tiny bit of good news here
S’s top choice upped his scholarship by a little more - now it is close to twice the original offer - still close to 3 times the cost of his second choice (the school I could see <em>me</em> at - tiny LAC lots of personal attention, great fine arts complex and performing arts facilities - HUGE scholarship awards - sigh)
son seems resigned to not going to his sr prom
still not much progress on the English catch-up front
still deciding if he will defer…</p>

<h1>theorymom: Would finding students at the school you favor help? Sometimes it does.</h1>

<p>Keep going. Shakespeare in Love: “All will be well.”
“How will it?”
“I don’t know. It’s a mystery.”</p>

<p>I think, now that he has a clear favorite - “awesome” as opposed to “it’s OK” - going to the “OK” school might be like setting it up to fail. We <em>can</em> make this other one happen - it just hurts financially. The nice thing is, the personal contact with the small LAC has set up a relationship that can be rekindled and they have even suggested that if it does not work out at his first choice, they would still be happy to have him and they will keep his file (and awards) open for 2 years. Wow</p>

<p>something will work out - being the planner type, not knowing what that something is is the tough part</p>

<p>yep it’s all a mystery indeed</p>

<p>Has anyone experienced this? D was accepted to a college through rolling admissions. She then got in to her ED school of choice and sent a letter to the rolling admissions college declining the offer. We just received a note to the parents of D saying that they look forward to seeing her in the fall – the one that she declined. This was several months ago so I would THINK that this should have been processed by now. Should we send something back indicating that she will not be attending? Seems to me like there was a paper mix up or something of that nature. Don’t want to be billed in the fall by 2 schools!!</p>

<p>Geek_mom: As a parent of a D I would expect the guy to purchase the flowers as she will purchase one for her date. I have and do expect the phone call from the guy to see what color her dress is or what she would like (hair, pin on, wrist, etc). This has been what we have seen in the past. I will say that her date this year is very smart about school work – not so much about dating so I’ve been thinking that I should have one on hand in the off chance that he doesn’t show up with one and then could give it to give to him to give to her. I don’t want him to be embarrassed because he didn’t think about it. Ugh…</p>

<p>Around here the prom couple usually go together to pick out flowers. If scheduling is a problem they usually just talk about it…uhhmmm…more like text, now! ;)</p>

<p>Called to order online dress for D2…both picks are sold out so we are back to square one. Then had a call from caterer. He is unavailable for grad party. :frowning: Ok…I’m taking a deep breath and refocusing!</p>

<p>NorthMinnesota: Are the dresses “common” – meaning are they a common prom dress? D’s dress was all over the internet in various stores. Found the dress local and they were the same price all over so we bought it local. If you know the name of the dress google it and you may have some luck.</p>

<p>Good luck on the dress and the grad party. I still have to figure out the food for the grad party. D can’t/won’t think about it until end of May when all of the AP/IB exams are done. By then I’ll probably be in the same boat. Why do I see a few hectic days in the kitchen in store for me as I’ll probably end up doing the cooking myself.</p>

<p>TheAnalyst–so sorry for you and your family. Hopefully, all will turn out Ok and kudos to you for your financial savvy. Your kids are super lucky.
I need to order S’s flowers today as he asked me to due to long track hours. The girl ordering her own is insulting. All she had to do is tell him what color her dress is as in “Oh date, my dress is blue so yellow or white flowers will work great”. Guess some guys would not get that if they had never gone before but if their mom was a CCer they would know that they had to order flowers AND find out the dress color:D. I like your solution Rochestermom, that will save the night if he messes up.</p>

<p>Hmmmm…unfortunately they are a little pricey so I don’t think they would be “common”. But maybe I’m just a tightwad!!! :wink: I’m embarassed to say how much they are! I’ve called 12 different stores, no one had them in. Must be popular somewhere!!! I’ve found some others for her to look at. Did I say she is picky??? Doesn’t want loads of sequins, no mermaid hemline, no poufy skirt, must have interesting back details and be in a fun color like lime green, orange or aqua. Most of the dresses that meet those requirements have lots of cutouts and I’m not sure I like that style on her. I just think this is too revealing or am I wrong?? Oh…and since she is sooo small there won’t be any cleavage like the photo. :wink:
[Grand</a> Prom](<a href=“http://grandprom.weddingshoppeinc.com/pr/Jasz-Couture-3045/13931]Grand”>http://grandprom.weddingshoppeinc.com/pr/Jasz-Couture-3045/13931)</p>

<p>Doing lots of anxious snacking…sigh!</p>