Parents of the high school class of 09

<h1>theory - yay for the increase! I really hope it works out for you.</h1>

<p>Need to drag S to the florist so he can learn how to order flowers for the fuchsia-not-chartreuse dress.</p>

<p>NorthMinnesota–that is gorgeous. Sometimes you just have to pay the price. I did that two summers ago when D was in a wedding and was told to find a dress that she liked. It was spendy but she has worn it 4 times now so…
If you google that dress there are some available but depending when she needs it you might have to add faster shipping. Good luck.</p>

<p>My wife and daughter decided to take kindly upon my son’s date and handled flowers for him. I think you can probably count on that as well, Rochestermom. The females of the species typically assume, correctly, that the males are too dumb too handle tasks like flowers. My son didn’t want to call his date to find out what color her dress was (forgot why this matters – tie or flowers ? – so his sister did it).</p>

<p>I need to find a different florist this year. Last year I wanted to give our business to the little place closest to our house. Seems like I paid for something far more fabulous than we got.</p>

<p>I thought I would have HUGE issues helping D look for a prom dress. She’s very picky! She went out intitally with friends and reported back that dresses were in the $250-$500 range. I told her that’s crazy, I am NOT spending that kind of money on a dress. I asked her how would she feel if she was sitting in class at college this summer and was asked to leave because she couldn’t afford the $500 textbooks (because the money went to a prom dress). I gave her a limit of $200 and even that would have been stretching it, figuring in the cost of shoes, hair, nails, transportation, not to mention the other senior functions going on, like class trip, cap and gown, party, etc. She even told me that she couldn’t look for something in OUR mall, because there could be a possibility that someone else would have the same dress. Ugh, SO WHAT!?!?</p>

<p>She cried a bit then that weekend went off with her team to a cheereleading competition in North Carolina. On that Saturday night after their first day of competition she called me from the dressing room of Dillards, she found a beautiful gown for $89, even getting an extra $10 off to $79 because a few beads were missing.</p>

<p>I think I FINALLY raised her right.</p>

<p>Son’s date’s mom told me her dress was bought on sale, with a coupon. It is striking and she’ll look fabulous (wish Son could get by so inexpensively!)</p>

<p>these prom preparations are making me wistful for my son - who looks smashing in his tux (which he already has for choir) and his new haircut. This lone rose looks so sad here.
Oh well, he will probably not even remember this once he leaves and finds a life at college and beyond. I just wish I could have had an influence on him and gotten him to ask sooner. Sometimes I think he planned it this way, so he could ask and not be turned down because someone didn’t <em>want</em> to go with him, but because someone else asked sooner. And if that is the case, then I guess it is best it happened like it did. Though he is a tall good looking kid - just not experienced in the dating scene</p>

<p>Reminder to parents of Ds - The boutonniere (sp?)!! At first big dance, D and (I) forgot to get the darn thing! I simply felt awful!!</p>

<p>D has organized 8 single girls to come to our house for the phot ops pre-prom as well as a limo. (I think it iwll be the tamest prom-limo ride that has ever happened.) Obviously, no one is buying corsages for them. What do y’all think about the parents buying some for the girls? They should have flowers, don’t you think, even if they don’t have dates?
PS D has the cheapest dress of all! Actually wearing one from last year!</p>

<p>fireflyscout - it was only another thousand per year, but it is at least something, and with the other “raise” it is almost double the original award. They told me to forget asking for anything more LOL - oh well
Wish it was more but at least now we know this is all it will be and we will probably still end up with S there this year (unless he defers)</p>

<p>Well finally my son made his Choice: UC Berkeley. After the overnight the other one just faded away. Berkeley is a good college town, with all the little whimsical stores and food joints that you will remember long after graduation. All for the best. Especially as far as my W is concerned, he is only 30 min away! Wait until she finds out how infrequent visits/calls will become </p>

<p>Theorymom: What is it with boys? So smart in everything else, but dense as a bag of hammers with girls. I can just imagine my S in college.</p>

<p>D was planning on going to her prom alone. I was going to buy her a corsage to wear. I think even if girls (and boys) do not have dates to the prom, they should still have fresh flowers.</p>

<p>Now that D askd a junior boy to go, he called frantically the other day asking what color flowers. D said purple and the boy asked, who must have been calling from the florist, “Is that Plum, Eggplant or Barney purple?”</p>

<p>lol</p>

<p>Barney purple - now THAT is purple
LOL</p>

<p>Congrats kumitedad! I was rooting for Berkeley.</p>

<p>Kdad - COOL on UC Berkeley</p>

<p>Were you as dense as a bag of hammers (LOL) when you were 17?</p>

<p>Adding my congratulations as well!</p>

<p>Last year, I had my son ask the color of his date’s dress which she told him was red. I had him ask if it was bright red or more of a crimson. She told him it was like the red on a Jif peanut butter jar. He cut out a red section of the Jif label and took it to the florists when ordering her corsage. The ladies there had a quite a laugh, but hey, it worked. </p>

<p>woody, I think it would be a great idea to buy a corsage or boutonniere for kids going with a group instead of a specific date.</p>

<p>The Analyst: I am so sorry but so impressed, not only by your college savings but aslo because you and your H seen to already be looking at plan B. </p>

<p>geekmom: Yeah, pushy and obnoxious! Your S sounds like a dream…ohhhh have I said that already??? :wink: I agree that he should go ahead as he would have previously done. Sounds like he has the confidence to quietly proceed and maybe his example of class will be a subtle lesson to the MMM (micro managing mom)</p>

<p>Have fun with all the prom stuff all ya’ll!</p>

<p>Last night there was a reception for the 108 seniors in our county (5 high schools) who are going on to 4 year schools. It was really a great evening, with music, dinner, great speeches, a slide show featuring the grads’ Sr pics and their college choice. I didn’t cry at all. That’s my new standard. One surprising note is that in the whole county there was only 1 Cal Berkeley bound student. Last year we had three or four. Lots and lots to UCD though and each UC campus is getting someone except UCR</p>

<p>kumitedad: Tell your S to be on the look out for a striking red-head from a tiny Northern CA town with hair like Janis Joplin. Congrats BTW! </p>

<p>Yay for the increase #theory! Boo on the procrastination! I think it’s good that you aren’t hounding him about the English. If he fails and has to defer it will be a huge (but horribly tough on you and him) lesson in the fall as he watches his buddies go off to their schools. I hope it won’t come to that.</p>

<p>cpeltz: continued peace and progress toward a resolution!</p>

<p>Gorgeous dress NM. I don’t think it’s too revealing at all. My extremely modest D had the same neckline and Cs and it wasn’t at all risque’ on her.</p>

<p>Kumitedad–congrats!!! He will be happy there. Even though S will be one hour away, after the first few months I figure we will not see him very much.
woody–yes, the girls should have flowers and the parents buying them is sweet. If you know all of the parents, maybe get all and put them in cute bagswith ribbons and have them at your house for the pictures.</p>

<p>Northmin, I just googled that dress and found it in size 0 (that’s the size right?) at promgowns4less. I put it in my cart so looks like it’s actually available. (then I quickly took it out of the cart) :)</p>

<p>DH and I figured we’d get flowers for DD but then another girl who is going alone but in her group and DD decided they were going to buy each other flowers.</p>

<p>Woody I think you have a great photo op here. Have the fathers/mothers give the girls/boys the flowers. What a great picture that would be. Last year the girls couldn’t bin the flowers on the girls so we have photos of the girls fathers pinning the flowers on the dates. Not as nice as what you would have but since we have all known each other since the kids were little it was very nice.</p>

<p>kumitedad: Big congratulations here as well.</p>